TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with crawlers, are you running a secondary mount of some sort to support the added length and weight of the crawler? I know that the SAS guys run the FROR transfer crossmember, but I dont need that since Im still IFS and still have my stock crossmember under the back of the trans.

I got mine in and Im almost done but I noticed that the rear bellhousing on the auto. trans tailhousing that the crawler bolts to is made of rather thin aluminum. I got to wondering with the added weight of the crawler and the added leverage of moving the transfercase back 8.5" if that tailhousing could handle all of that additional strain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
mojavehanna said:
For those of you with crawlers, are you running a secondary mount of some sort to support the added length and weight of the crawler? I know that the SAS guys run the FROR transfer crossmember, but I dont need that since Im still IFS and still have my stock crossmember under the back of the trans.

I got mine in and Im almost done but I noticed that the rear bellhousing on the auto. trans tailhousing that the crawler bolts to is made of rather thin aluminum. I got to wondering with the added weight of the crawler and the added leverage of moving the transfercase back 8.5" if that tailhousing could handle all of that additional strain?

You really should support it with an additional mount. Each type has its advantage/disadvantage. I love my FROR mount (the skid sucks for the 85 model), I don't have any major Vibes. It's the only mount I have for the drive train.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I see that on the bottom of the crawlers reduction box there are (4) bosses for a mount on the older style toyotas that the reduction box was originally used in. I was thinking I would get one of those stock transfercase mounts and fab a support off the rear of the crossmember under the trans. tailshaft and mount the new transfercase mount to it. This would add support directly under the crawler and allow the original tacoma TC to hang free like it did in stock form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
mojavehanna said:
I see that on the bottom of the crawlers reduction box there are (4) bosses for a mount on the older style toyotas that the reduction box was originally used in. I was thinking I would get one of those stock transfercase mounts and fab a support off the rear of the crossmember under the trans. tailshaft and mount the new transfercase mount to it. This would support add support directly under the crawler and allow the original tacoma TC to hang free like it did in stock form.
That is one way, but I'd be worried that the torque will eventually cause the engine mounts to fail w/o something keeping the drivetrain from trying to rotate. They do in the early toys. no reasion for the taco's not to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
I just had Inchworm install double cases in my FJC and I've been talking with Bud @ BudBuilt about modifying one of his double or triple case cross members to fit. I will probably cut out the stock cross member and then install Bud's. There is a lot hanging behind the cross member that is only supported by the bolts.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that picture really shows what Im talking about. The tailshaft on the trans. apparantly is strong enough to support the weight of the stock transfercase, but add the crawler and move the weight of that stock transfercase back 8.5" and it seems like it could lead to problems sooner or later.

I think another mount is in order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
sbechtold said:
I just had Inchworm install double cases in my FJC and I've been talking with Bud @ BudBuilt about modifying one of his double or triple case cross members to fit. I will probably cut out the stock cross member and then install Bud's. There is a lot hanging behind the cross member that is only supported by the bolts.

That is going into an FJ?? F*#"n SWEEET!!! (and I'm not an FJ lover..but that is nice!) Your going to have some fun!!

I'm done with the highjack.. Have fun MoHav. Sounds like your still fab'n away.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I contacted Budbuilt with the same question last week, and was told that I could use the Skidplate/crossmember/bellypan to support the added length.

Please continue checking into this as we are in the same boat, so to speak, you're just alot closer to having it actually installed than I am.

REX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am familiar with the Budbuilt bellyplate crossmember and I dont see how that would help unless there was a rubber mount added to it in some way. The BB crossmember would be in about the right place to fab up some sort of mount, but without adding a mount I dont see how it would support anything other than the bellyplate.

I ordered an early model Toyota pickup transfercase mount from Marlin. It is very similar to the tacomas tranmission mount. I plan to weld some 2 x 2" square tube behind the transmision crossmember to hold the mount, which will then bolt to the 4 bosses on the underside of the reduction box. This will provide additional weight bearing support, and allow the motor, trans., crawler, and transfercase to twist when the engine torques the drivetrain.

Thats the best idea I've had so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I'm using 2 of the older style mounts and one of Bud's triple case x-members. The extra lenght of the triple case x-member just adds a little more protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
You don't want your driveline to twist! You will most likely take out motor mounts. I'd suggest chaining your motor mounts or come up with a type FROR mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mt_goat said:
I'm using 2 of the older style mounts and one of Bud's triple case x-members. The extra lenght of the triple case x-member just adds a little more protection.
Thats has a mount in the same place Im planning on mounting mine, same place same mount. Right under the reduction box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wgasa84 said:
You don't want your driveline to twist! You will most likely take out motor mounts. I'd suggest chaining your motor mounts or come up with a type FROR mount.
If your drivetrain doesnt "twist" enough when the engine torques you will break all kinds of parts. Thats why motormounts and trans. mounts are designed to give under torque and made of rubber. Granted I dont want the drivetrain rolling around between the frame rails either.

By adding two factory style trans. mounts it will reduce some of the twist simply by adding the second mount with a second set of rubber blocks. If you look at the pic posted above the factory style trans./ transfer mounts are designed to allow for some movement as the drivetrain torques. The FROR style mounts dont appear to allow for much drivetrain torque. This may be good for keeping the motormounts together, but also may be bad by putting undue stress on the aluminum trans., crawler, and TC.

I thought about chaining my motormounts like is common on the pickups. I asked about it for the Tacomas a while back and the consensus was that there has been no evidence that this is necessary with the Tacoma. It would be simple to do the passenger side on my V6 Tacoma but the drivers side would probably require pulling the engine. Im not too worried about the motormounts though, I think they be OK... I guess I'll find out anyway.

Heres the link... http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55852&highlight=crawler+mount
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
mt_goat said:
I'm using 2 of the older style mounts and one of Bud's triple case x-members. The extra lenght of the triple case x-member just adds a little more protection.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2918236050042310107PBdrAx
This is exactly what I was planning! I was also going to look at extending the front of the skid to protect the transmission pan.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
I have used the FROR setup for over a year and haven't had any issues breaking stuff :confused: You seem to think that putting a FROR crossmember in will make stuff *bind* and it won't. The only thing you may notice is that you have more axle wrap than before since your transmission/t-case setup isn't willing to give as much, thus transfering that torque into the back axle. There is no better way to get a solid feeling setup than using a FROR type crossmember.

Also, it doesn't matter if you are IFS or solid axle, you can still put a FROR crossmember in ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,929 Posts
I didn't when I was still IFS. I just let it hang and it was never a problem.
When I SASd and moved the crossmember back, I made provision for double tranny mounts and run it that way now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
I remember having just the 2 stock rubber transmission mounts on with a skid plate tying them together. On some steep hill climbs the whole drivetrain would come up and smack the cab because there is a bunch of play in those rubber bushings. But, adding the other rubber transmisson mount seemed to help a bit more than just having 1 mount in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My main reason for not going with a FROR type mount is that it will interfere with my custom skidplate crossmember that is now behind my transfercase as well as my catalytic converter. Hopefully two mounts will do the trick, otherwise I will have to further consider a FROR type of TC mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dick Foster said:
I didn't when I was still IFS. I just let it hang and it was never a problem.
When I SASd and moved the crossmember back, I made provision for double tranny mounts and run it that way now.
5 speed or auto. trans.?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
mojavehanna said:
If your drivetrain doesnt "twist" enough when the engine torques you will break all kinds of parts. Thats why motormounts and trans. mounts are designed to give under torque and made of rubber. Granted I dont want the drivetrain rolling around between the frame rails either.
then why do many race cars go to a solid (no rubber, just steel) motor/drivetrain mount setup?
...to reduce the loss of torque and transfer it directly to the drive wheels.

no, the rubber mounts in autos are for vibration dampening.

my beef is with having two different bushing types at the two ends of the drivetrain.
 
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
19 Participants
PappaF2
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top