TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been rock crawling, but would like to familiarize myself with it before I dive off the deep end. I'm wanting to build my DD Tacoma into a weekend toy, but don't want to build it in the wrong direction, so I want to see what works on the rocks and what doesn't. I want to get a feel for the environment, the folks, the terrain, etc.

I grew up in Corpus Christi and all we had there was mud and sand, and I've been into hot rods and customs since I left high school, so I don't know many people in the offroad scene. All of my friends are hot rodders or musicians or both, hell, I don't even think I know anyone in my circle of friends with a 4x4.

With all that being said, I'd like to ride-along with someone out to Hidden Falls/Katemcy, or something like that. I'm in Austin, would prefer someone from around here. I could drive myself out to either location, but don't want to attempt any wheeling until I'm comfortable with it, and my truck is bone stock, so I'd like to atleast ride shotgun with someone on the trails.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What's up? I just moved to Austin this week. My rig is still in Houston and it's broke at the moment. Not sure what yet as I haven't torn ito it yet. Once I get my rig here and fixed you're more then welcome to ride w/ me. You'll have to fight the wife for shotgun though.
I'm living off William Cannon and S Congress. Where do you stay?

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
word of advice... take it or leave it..

The passenger seat of a built rig is not the place to determine if this is the sport for you.. unfortunately.. While it is fun, it is not a realistic example of where you are likely to be getting started.

ride along with others who have trucks built similar to yours and work your way up. I started in a pre-runner and worked up to a 4x4 then over time just got plain stupid... Too many people see the guys in built rigs with solid axles and big block chevy's and jump into it not prepared for the expense or the headache that comes along with it (tow rigs, trailers, expensive parts, etc.)

If you decide you like it from riding along with someone start with a locker in the back and maybe in the front, some sliders, bumpers and a winch will at least get you on the 2-3 rated trails. A disregard for body damage and deep pockets will get you onto the 4's. A new rig will get you on the 5's!

Ride with people of similar skill level and willingness to get an idea of what it is really like. (the Jamboree is coming up and would be perfect for this)

It is EASY to get $10K plus in addition to the truck just to get it ready to run the easier trails. If you are going to go to that extreme just buy a rig that someone else built and decided they dont want (happens A LOT).

Decide what you want to do and do it ONCE! I have probably spent 3 times the amount I should have over the years buying stupid stuff and buying cheap stuff just to get me to the next level. dont buy cheap crap, and LISTEN to what others have to say! You will be dollars ahead!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get what you're saying. I'm not planning on building a purpose built rig, nor do I really want to ride along in one of those. I should have been more specific... I'm really just looking to meet up with folks with street/trail rigs the next time they go hit the trails so I can get a feel for it all and meet new folks. I'd like to learn tips & tricks, whats needed and whats not needed, etc. I have a general idea of it all, and think I'll be fine, but since I don't know anyone, it would sure suck to go out to the trails by myself, get into a jam with no backup plan or assistance, and look like a total dumbass because I did some shit when I should have known better.

I plan on building front & rear bumpers, sliders, skid plates, mounting my winch, extra lighting, small lift with small tires (I have 265/75/16 now and plan to stay relatively close to that size). I plan to find a camper shell and outfit the little truck for overnight camping out in West Texas and hunting trips in South Texas. It's my daily driver and will stay that way, so it will never be a hardcore truck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm finishing up my truck within the next month and never taken it out before either. I'd be down to go if y'all plan something out

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
head to gilmer for the Toyota Jamboree. they organize trail rides by vehicle and do some basic wheeling classes. well worth it for you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank fellas, I've gotten a few PM's about this, glad to know there's some folks out there willing to help out, hopefully I can cruise out with some of ya'll one of these days. I'm really considering heading to Gilmer as well, but I have to see how that fits within my schedule.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank fellas, I've gotten a few PM's about this, glad to know there's some folks out there willing to help out, hopefully I can cruise out with some of ya'll one of these days. I'm really considering heading to Gilmer as well, but I have to see how that fits within my schedule.
the Gilmer run will be a great run for ya to go to! that's the place a lot of us cut our teeth at.
your truck has an elocker right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts