TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make up my mind on whether to spend the $ on converting the '82 (which has the factory push-pull steering) to crossover steering with high steer and hydro assist or go all out with a full hydraulic steering setup. I figure I can convert to crossover + high-steer + assist for about 1/2 of what I would spend on going to a full hydro setup.

I know that I will eventually want to convert the front from leafs to links, and I figure that not having the (crossover) steering geometry to worry about would make that conversion simpler.

What I want to try to avoid doing with this truck is having to build things more than once as I move through the build. If this means spending a bit more cash up front I am up for it, but shelling out $1500 (1.5 X what I paid for the truck) for full hydro is a bit daunting at the moment :eek:

What say the Tacama crowd?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will not be trailered anywhere at first, likely to be sometime later on in its life, especially to far away places like Moab and the Hammers for multi-day trips...

What it will never be is a daily driver. I know it is possible to build a full hydro steering setup that has adequate road manners to get it to the trail, so that is not a big consideration for me. My biggest concern is building a system that works reliably for some pretty hardcore wheeling with 40" tires being the maximum size I'd ever run, though it'll start out with 37's :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
The biggest concern with full hydro on the street is that if it loses pressure, you have no steering. That and if you break anything on the trail, you cant make it home unless you carry alot of spare parts.

I would stick with crossover and hydro assist. Buy eveything used and tap the steering box yourself, its pretty cheap. Then sell it for what you paid when youre ready to go to links and full hydro:2cents:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What I want to try to avoid doing with this truck is having to build things more than once as I move through the build. If this means spending a bit more cash up front I am up for it, but shelling out $1500 (1.5 X what I paid for the truck) for full hydro is a bit daunting at the moment :eek:

What say the Tacama crowd?
If that's the case better take off the body and bed and build the buggy now.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Full hydro tends to be a "little funky" at speed...especially on pavement. .02 That being said, full hydro absolutely kicks arse off road. BTW, lots of threads on the subject, but most believe that full hydro is illegal to run on the street...I have no idea???:confused:

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
parts of what you need for assist can be reused when you go to full hydro (pump/res/lines, etc.)...... When you're ready, sell the crossover/box and ram and you should be pretty close to the price of the orbital and new ram. :2cents:

I also don't see a problem without full hydro on a linked truck if it's built right (would make a few things easier for sure, but it is totally possible without it) :D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Without pressure that assit cylinder ends up locking up the steering pretty tight. Having been there I know this for a fact. That is also one of the reasons I included quick disconnects in the lines to my cylinder and used tine pins on each end of the cylinder. I can have it out of there in a matter of minutes without any tools and not loose beyond about a drop of fluid in the process.

The biggest concern with full hydro on the street is that if it loses pressure, you have no steering. That and if you break anything on the trail, you cant make it home unless you carry alot of spare parts.

I would stick with crossover and hydro assist. Buy eveything used and tap the steering box yourself, its pretty cheap. Then sell it for what you paid when youre ready to go to links and full hydro:2cents:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that's the case better take off the body and bed and build the buggy now.
I'm going to dovetail the bed but after that it's getting an exo-cage to keep it relatively un-raisoned. If I wanted to build a full on buggy I would have started with a few 100' of DOM, not a truck ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is going to sound like I have my mind up for full hydro with all these arguments, but here we go:

SAFETY: Sure, if a line fails on your hydraulic steering setup you loose all steering, but is that not the same as what would happen if you broke your sector shaft coming out of the steering box, the joints at either end of the drag link fail, something happened to the steering linkage, etc...

RELIABILITY: I do not see why a hydro line would fail on the street, especially at highway speed where you're unlikely to be running at extreme pressures, like you would trying to turn into an immovable rock wall or something off road. Using quality lines would 'ensure' reliability of that part of the system.

ROAD MANNERS: Most systems have return-to-center built into the orbital (not sure how that all works but that's beside the point). What I see is most of the rigs at in the Ultra4 / KOH races running full hydraulic setups, looks like they've figured out how to make the steering stable enough to hit 100+ mph out in the desert. You can be sure that my 22r powered truck will never be reaching those kinds of speeds w/o the assistance of a big cliff :lmao:

STREET LEGAL: Supposedly it is not, but I what are the odds of a cop actually knowing WTF was going on in the steering system and calling you on it? Good thing AZ does not have annual inspections, or we'd all be fucked anyways ;)

Unless there are other things I am overlooking, I just want to make sure that if I go with the crossover steering setup with assist that it will be 'enough' steering for me when I upgrade to 40s later on...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I run 40s with high steer and hydro asst.....seems to do just fine.

My only thought is if you are dumping 1500 into full hydro...and you plan on going to wheel some "pretty hard core" trails....why not just pony up the money and go with one tons?

Looking back if I would have known now when I was building my runner I would have just invested in tons vs. putting X amount into toy axles then wanting more and now having to put X amount to build tons.

Unless the parts can be moved over to tons when you decide to go that route....then just ignore what I said.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
STREET LEGAL: Supposedly it is not, but I what are the odds of a cop actually knowing WTF was going on in the steering system and calling you on it? Good thing AZ does not have annual inspections, or we'd all be fucked anyways ;)

Unless there are other things I am overlooking, I just want to make sure that if I go with the crossover steering setup with assist that it will be 'enough' steering for me when I upgrade to 40s later on...
Don't forget the legal liability if you were to wreck and injured people and it's discovered your steering it not DOT legal. You will be paying for a long long time.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
AZ has no law in the ARS (Title 28, Chapter 3, Article 16) regarding steering systems or modifications of such. All kinds of codified law on lighting, nothing on steering.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AZ has no law in the ARS (Title 28, Chapter 3, Article 16) regarding steering systems or modifications of such. All kinds of codified law on lighting, nothing on steering.
Good to know :)

Standard assist works a lot better than you think. I cant really imagine full hydro being necessary on a full bodied rig, especially one as light as yours. cheaper and easier to deal with in the case of pump failure.
I've never wheeled anything with tires larger than 33" and IFS (ok, I'm lying, I've taken the '82 out once) so I do not have much of an opinion on how good / bad crossover with assist is in the real world, hence this thread ;)

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Good to know :)

I've never wheeled anything with tires larger than 33" and IFS (ok, I'm lying, I've taken the '82 out once) so I do not have much of an opinion on how good / bad crossover with assist is in the real world, hence this thread ;)
I can steer my 5,500k+ rig on 40s aired down to 6-8psi with a spool in the rocks just fine (with one finger actually)...... with a good pump/cooling system and quality ram and hoses, It'll be just fine. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can steer my 5,500k+ rig on 40s aired down to 6-8psi with a spool in the rocks just fine (with one finger actually)...... with a good pump/cooling system and quality ram and hoses, It'll be just fine. ;)
X2 on a quality system, I have went through two pumps because I bought second hand pumps trying to save money and they have ended up dieing....which ever way you go just buy a new psc from the get-go.:2cents:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
17 Participants
Stealth 4x4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing