TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have the FROR tacoma crossmember and i want to run the inchworm dual case setup. My question is, can i just run the same center section of the crossmember that i have now and just weld on new mounts futher back? If i do that, will it be strong enough or should i run another crossmember more twards the front. My stock cross member is out of the question because of the SAS. If i dont go with the duals, i might go with the inchworm lefty case, but then my center section of the crossmember that i have now is a different bolt pattern than the rear of the lefty case. I am really torn between the two choices. I know i would love the gear choices of the duals but if i run the lefty, then my drive shafts dont need adjusting. Any opinions???

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Well, I can't say with any certainty that you will be Ok just running the same xmember. I did it and everything has been fine. The issue I ran into with the Marlin box is that FROR xmember hits the cab worse than before when moved back 8". Plus, my Tcase is now lower because of the added length. I plan on raising it, but for a quick fix I just welded on some angle and called it good. It seems to be working fine. I have heard of guys cutting up the FROR xmember and welding new arms on them to make it fit. I suppose that is the best option as long as you don't take too much off and weaken it.
THe driveshaft issue is really not that big of a deal. I am still running the 2 piece rear and just shortened mine at home. Then I took it to be balanced. THe front has to be reworked no matter what.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Right now i have the FROR tacoma crossmember and i want to run the inchworm dual case setup. My question is, can i just run the same center section of the crossmember that i have now and just weld on new mounts futher back? If i do that, will it be strong enough or should i run another crossmember more twards the front. My stock cross member is out of the question because of the SAS. If i dont go with the duals, i might go with the inchworm lefty case, but then my center section of the crossmember that i have now is a different bolt pattern than the rear of the lefty case. I am really torn between the two choices. I know i would love the gear choices of the duals but if i run the lefty, then my drive shafts dont need adjusting. Any opinions???
I ran that style xmember for a while until the vibes drove me nuts...along with the fact that I didn't like only having one xmember between the radiator and the carrier bearing :eek:

with the crawler the OE won't work w/o modding it but many have been running this setup for years w/o issues.

I wanted a to lessen the slop in the longer drivetrain but not cut if off completely (like the fror does) creating too many vibes.

so...built this

utilizes both the OE tranny mount along with a stock early tcase mount (crawler).
I've also had a 2ndary xmember behind the tcase (for the skid) since before the crawler and SAS that has been great.

so far so good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics. I really like the simplicity of yours. What did you build it out of. Was is difficult to tilt the back half like that. I think maybe i will try the same set-up but instead of tilting it, just run the square stock on the bottom from outside framerail to outside framerail. Did you buy the mount for the older reduction box brand new or just a used one?

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I really like the simplicity of yours. What did you build it out of. Was is difficult to tilt the back half like that. I think maybe i will try the same set-up but instead of tilting it, just run the square stock on the bottom from outside framerail to outside framerail. Did you buy the mount for the older reduction box brand new or just a used one?
actually, it wound up being pretty darn complicated for my limited fabbing skills :rolleyes:
3/16" wall 1.5"x3" rectangle tube
3/16" wall 1.5x1.5 sq tube
section of 3/8" plate for the crawler mount
crawler mount was a used one I got for cheap off Pirate. both Marlin and Inchworm sell the OE new ones for $$$.

I originally was going to have the thing flat, as you suggest, but while playing with mockups I discovered I could gain quite a bit of clearance both ground and for the front driveshaft by adding the tilt. Once that was established it was then very easy to make the frame brackets. I did goof when I set the frame mounts, however...didn't quite level the xmember and one side wound up about 1/4" higher at the frame then the other...oops. It doesn't effect the way the xmember works but it did effect how the skids eventually went together (which is when I discovered the goof). Getting max ground clearance was also the reason for using the plate steel for the crawler mount point rather than the same tube.

my goal was also to maintain the same amount of drop that the OE tranny xmember has, about 1.5", hense my use of the more expensive rec tube. 2x4 tube is a lot cheaper and easier to find but would have been a real boat anchor.

here are the rest of my pics:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/mods/SAS/xmemberskids/
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/mods/SAS/xmemberebrakebrakelines/
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/mods/SAS/xmember31407/

these should give you a better idea how it all went together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts