TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joined a Jeep group today for a run at Crown King.

Good lord....that trail beginning to end is loooooooooooooooooooooong, LOL.:D

I think the grand total is 58 miles:eek:

Actually there were four Toyotas in the group: the legendary gear installer "ZUK", a guy with a pretty sick SAS 87' Toyota running on 1 ton axles and 37" tires, an FJ Cruiser and myself. The rest of the group were all Jeeps from stock to highly modified.

Actually, ZUK was the trail leader. Very nice person, and very knowledgeable about off-roading and about Toyotas of course.

Didn't take a chance to take many pics since we didn't make many stops.

Here's a poser shot of ZUK's tacoma, and my reg cab to the right

One of the few places that we stopped to wait for a couple of guys that were trying a pretty steep climb. The rest of us took the bypass. The SAS toyota on 37" tires can be seen at a distance.

On another climb following the Jeeps :p

Random shot of the group in one of the trails

Overall Crown King is a great trail, easy to moderate. If you take the steep climbs along the way instead of the bypasses then it can get pretty hard at times.

We just need more Toyotas on the trails!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is definitely a whole day deal. But I think is worth it! One of the coolest things is getting to Crown King, which is small town in the middle of nowhere (literally). It is located in such a remote area, you wonder how people manage to live there. But they have a couple of places to eat and supplies in case you need to get something. We stopped there to have lunch, and then finished the rest of the ride.

·
Registered
442 Posts
crown king is allways a good run. the way up the back side is rough but you can come back down the front way after the town. its fairly smooth dirt road all the way back to the 17.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crown king is allways a good run. the way up the back side is rough but you can come back down the front way after the town. its fairly smooth dirt road all the way back to the 17.
I think we went up the back side because getting to Crown King was rough - although not difficult. Just several steep climbs and descends that required decent ground clearance. A few guys with open differentials made it ok, but having lockers certainly makes things easier on some of those climbs. Although getting to crown king the back way is not difficult, it is not something you want to do alone. Definitely the kind of trail you want to do with a group of people.

And you are correct, after the town everything is super easy since it is just a dirt road until you hit 17.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny that you mentioned that because i actually came accross the tacoma world guys when I did Box Canyon not too long ago.

That group seems very active. Are you part of them? I am thinking about joining that forum.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes I frequent there as well. It is pretty active there usually. Do you remember the trucks you ran into at box canyon?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I frequent there as well. It is pretty active there usually. Do you remember the trucks you ran into at box canyon?
I just remember a black double cab 2005-2007?, a 1 gen green reg cab and a silver extended cab with long travel suspension. There were others but i can't remember.

I spoke with the trail leader briefly, the guy with the black d-cab. He was the one that told me about about the tacoma world group.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmmmmmmm the only one that sounds familiar is the black double cab. Either way make your way over to the other forum..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
05_TacoRunner
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing