TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my neighbor the back way to crown king yesturday. hes never been wheeling in his life thought it would be a good beginner trail. just curious if any body in a semi stock ifs taco has gone over the BFR (big frickin rock) near the top on the right side of the road. i did it yesturady and still cant beleive my pile went over it :eek: . i have pics but im at work so i cant post any

·
Registered
599 Posts
Post those pics! I have been over it in my truck, no sweat. I took a stock Cherokee through there 2 yrs ago before they smoothed it all out. It was a lot harder to get over the ledge at the end back then. Still a very fun trail though, good obstacles and most of them have bypasses in case you break or can't make it through. Best time of the year is when its snowing though, because you can go from desert to snowy pine trees.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Hey Kieth, I am getting ready to lift the 06. I want to do the CC run to break her in properly...wanna go? I think sometime after the holidays. Give me a shout sometime.
Nate
It is a shame that the CC trail got smoothed out, but I guess it was for a good reason, but it still sucks. It is still a nice scenic drive.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
padesertboy said:
all the tough parts were straightened out ~7 months ago...not to bad of a trail now...

IFS truck friendly :D
Crown King has always been an IFS/stock friendly trail before they "paved" it..... now it's pretty much a dirt road with some rocks. :(

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i totally agree about going up there when there is snow. i burried my fullsize big block blazer on 38's in the snow up there one year, many years ago. it is a pretty smooth run now, good beginner trail. a stock nissan xterra made with a little carnage to the factory side steps. there is a rock that has fallen down into the road, near the end of the trail, in the beige or lighter colored dirt, i looked at it for a minute, didnt think it would make it, the drop on the other side is 3-4 feet staright off. just curious if anybody else tried it or made it in a ifs rig. im sure its a breeze for sas rigs, my left fron tire was in the air about 3' for awhile just sliding on my sliders and then rear bump.

·
Registered
616 Posts
4xClover said:
Crown King has always been an IFS/stock friendly trail before they "paved" it..... now it's pretty much a dirt road with some rocks.

Are you thinking of the same Crown King Road? The one that takes you to Crown King from the South, starting near Lake Pleasant?

I guess you are correct. I had very few problems in my stock 4runner when I ran it last March. Not to say I wasn't a little nervous at times! The only real problem spot was just after I entered the Prescott National Forrest (of couse there was a sign at the border, saying that the trail was closed, but I was on a mission). I found a large hill of MUD that took me several attempts to make it up!!

I did hit snow as well, on the tail-end of the trail, just before the turn-off to Crown King. No good pictures, as I was over-committed to getting through, and didn't stop to snap any! I did continue on the Senator Highway to Prescott. There was pleanty of Snow there!!!

Assuming that this is the trail you were speaking of, is it "officially" open all the way through? One of these days I want to do it again! However, I think I want to get a little bit of lift before I go, and this time I'll bring tire chains!!!

And of course it would be great to have someone else to go with!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts