TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ready to actually get to work on my project 86. The interior of the thing is covered in dried oils, and just lots of other 'gunk'. Whats a good substance to use to get rid of it? I'm planning on just removing the seats and scrubbing away. Maybe something like paint thinner or acetone? Any other suggestions. I think after its cleaned up, I'm going to get some of that Herculiner stuff and cover the floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the Navy we used to use this stuff called PD680. This crap would take the crome off a trailer hitch. I dont know what it was made of, but it was good. We later had to stop using it because of environmental reasons though, so I dont know if its still availible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
TacoTaco said:
.....would take the crome off a trailer hitch.
I know her. :D
I would progresively wire brush and rinse first. Save the expense treatment for the real "grime" which is adheard to the body.
You might try Dawn dishwashing soap and a scrub brush. Rent a steam cleaner. It shouldnt take miracle stuff.

:confused: How did it get in there ? Whatever it is will give you a clue as to what to use.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
If you have a restaurant supply place anywhere nearby, most carry a generic degreaser that is stronger than any I have ever used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ovencleaner works good but eats paint if you leave it on to long, plus its not good for plastic or rubber parts. If you leave it on for only a short amount of time it cuts through all kinds of junk.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The interior is going to be gutted, so I'm not worried about saving rubber pieces or any paint. I will not be keeping any of the stock interior. I am just worried about having a clean surface to apply the herculiner stuff. Thanks again for all the replies, I'll look into each one.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
kyle said:
Thanks for all the replies. The interior is going to be gutted, so I'm not worried about saving rubber pieces or any paint. I will not be keeping any of the stock interior. I am just worried about having a clean surface to apply the herculiner stuff. Thanks again for all the replies, I'll look into each one.
In the quest to find a remover I came across this stuff at our local hardware store called kuctik or something like that.. it eats anything...

But if you are just cleaning out the interior just get a wirewheel on a grinder and have at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts