TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does yours? I just took a 700 mile round trip from home in CT to Dad's in upstate NY. I'm a huge fan of cruise control on trips such as this, but on a few occasions, the cruise shut off when I hit a significant bump in the road. My GF and I pondered whether this is a safety feature, or whether I need to find a fault somewhere. I've only been driving this truck for two weeks, so I don't know!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was told at one time that i needed to get my cruise control cable adjusted by a stealership. Although I never had them do it and never did have any problems, you may want to start there? Look it up in your service manual. Post up what either of you find. :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
You know how the cruise deactivates when you use the brakes? Possible over time the pedal gets some play and when you hit a big enought of a bump, it moves enough to trigger the switch. Just a thought...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Buglips said:
You know how the cruise deactivates when you use the brakes? Possible over time the pedal gets some play and when you hit a big enought of a bump, it moves enough to trigger the switch. Just a thought...
I have the same problem with mine and it is the pedal switch. It didn't start happening until I removed the pedal spring after the bushing wore out. I couldn't stand the squeeking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have that problem but for me it's the parking brake. one day the brake got stuck out and it never felt like it went all the way back in after that. well now when i hit bumps the parking brake bounce out enough to disengage the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have an 04 with 60,000 and mine works fine, well except for the fact that it allows itself to loose speed then atempts to gain it back by dropping a gear and making the engine scream, dont like to use it at all. Then again may be spoiled, the 502 in the work truck does not even gain many rpm when I have the cruise on and going up some of the hills in the area.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
TACOMANATOR said:
I have the same problem with mine and it is the pedal switch. It didn't start happening until I removed the pedal spring after the bushing wore out. I couldn't stand the squeeking.
Same thing here. I'm pretty sure Tacomanator nailed it. I noticed if you even so much as tap the clutch on the side, it'll deactivate the CC. I also took out the return spring, and i think the tiny spring i'm using to hold pedal up isn't strong enough, so the small amount of play on the pedal is doing it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonight I adjusted the brake and clutch switches, and the cruise did not turn off when I hit that one bump that usually shuts it off on my 25 mile drive home from work. Time will tell though, whether tonight's drive was a fluke.

For those who have never done this, there is a switch above both the clutch and brake pedal arms. Loosen the locknut with a 14mm wrench and disconnect the electrical connector. Turn the switch clockwise toward the pedal arm until the button is all the way flush with the body of the switch. Tighten the locknut and reconnect the connector.

·
Registered
491 Posts
my 2000 does it also.
since it was new pulling a steep hill or 75+
just once in a while
hit the resume and it goes back on

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Timstoy said:
my 2000 does it also.
since it was new pulling a steep hill or 75+
just once in a while
hit the resume and it goes back on
From the owners manual "If the vehicle speed drops 16 km/h (10 mph) below the preset speed, the preset speed will automatically cancel out."

·
Registered
342 Posts
My CC works fine on my 2004, but we will see what happenes when I have 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tbplus10 said:
Check your brake lights to make sure you didnt turn the switch out to far to activate them. I accidently did that once.
Really? I can't see how that's possible. I only turned it toward the pedal until the plunger was flush...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts