TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installed one of these? Found some for $75 on ebay, and was wondering if they're decent quality and if they offer any performance gains over the stock (ugly) gen. II headlamps.
Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got done installing some diamond cut headlights on my 96, they only cost me 10 dollars on ebay so i was pretty sure it wasn't going to make a difference. well it certainly did. I know your generation is different but mine certainly worked. the light was a lot whiter not a nasty yellowish look my stocks produced

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well yeah but yours also came with blue bulbs didnt they? I got some off ebay for my 86, same type as a 96 tacoma and they came with blue bulbs so they were a different color too but its hard to say if its the housing making a difference if you throw in another colored bulb at the same time.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
i bought mine off an Ebay seller and got them installed pretty easily
I am very happy with them compared to the stock 1998 front headlamps
def worth the $$

·
Registered
390 Posts
Spenc121886 said:
I just got done installing some diamond cut headlights on my 96, they only cost me 10 dollars on ebay so i was pretty sure it wasn't going to make a difference. well it certainly did. I know your generation is different but mine certainly worked. the light was a lot whiter not a nasty yellowish look my stocks produced
Got any pics? I'm trying to get some better light out of my 95.

·
Registered
47 Posts
98 Taco said:
i bought mine off an Ebay seller and got them installed pretty easily
I am very happy with them compared to the stock 1998 front headlamps
def worth the $$
Do you remember what seller and brand of lights?

Are they really legal - SAE compliant?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
i got in on the group buy last year for the crystal clear headlights- i can't remember what i paid for them but am really pleased with them.
the install was easy, except for the trim piece under the light (i broke a tab).
the light output is much different than the stock housing- much more useable light- but different for sure.
yes, they are legal, DOT approved.
do a search in the old board for the group buy information, or maybe contact Labradorboy (he's who set it up).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im up for a group buy.... just so anybody else knows

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you look around ebay, they can be had for about $100 shipped, no tax. I don't know how much cheaper the group buy would get.

-Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I don't think you can get much cheaper than the ebay ones. I don't know if they're the same ones you can get elsewhere, though. Or if they're the same quality...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine arrived the next day- I bought them from the seller 'revotec'.
Don't buy the from the cheapest seller- compare shipping prices too. The Revotec guy didn't charge me tax either, which was good.

-Dave

·
Registered
741 Posts
Maxwell said:
Anyone installed one of these? Found some for $75 on ebay, and was wondering if they're decent quality and if they offer any performance gains over the stock (ugly) gen. II headlamps.
Thanks

see if this works....

·
Registered
741 Posts
dont know if you can tell any difference, this is when they are on..

i got in on the group buy last year, paied a little over 100 bucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Id' be in on a group buy as well!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Buy them from the Revotec guyon ebay if he has any ledt- $101 shipped. I think the other vendors have them for roughly $105-108 shipped also.

I just put mine on tonight- what a difference! They have the same wattage bulbs as the stock headlamps, but seem about wice as bright (I turned the light on when I had one crystal and one stock to compare).
I was originally thinking of doing an 80W low beam conversion with relays, but I don't think I need to anymore.

Just getting rid of the frosted yellowy look was worth it!

-Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
How's the quality of his lights? Do they have all the DOT listings on them and such?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yup- mine have the DOT embossing and the three 'nipples'.

Not that it really matters here in CA- I've been running the non DOT e-code lamps on my Jeep for about 6 years and never got bothered about it.

Even 80W low beams attract far less attention than the blue bulbs, as far as cops are concerned :)

-Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
I reccomend changing out the aftermarket backing plate for the stock one if you do get it, if not they'll be loose and shake like hell. I've had mine for about 2-3 years now no problems other than filming on the outside which is easily remedied with some professional quality plastic polish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts