TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, cub #2 is still learning when it comes to mechanics & toyotas, but he's making progress!

Today with a lot of help from lasket9( okay, Thomas did most of the work) we got the motor pulled from cubby's '91 truck. With a brand new crate motor waiting to go in.

All three of us got phone photos so I am sure photos will come online soon.

A bit of a backstory...tony bought this '91 one his own, one Saturday while I was at work. He was told the truck had a recently rebuilt motor out of a '95 4runner. But within 4 short months he developed a major knocking to the point we were sure it either sucked a valve or had rod issues.

Cubby did some detective work last week and found out the P.O never rebuilt the motor, but merely dropped a junk yard motor and tranny in and called it good, then Waited to prey on the first "sucker" to come down the pike.

So with a new motor and some additional "tlc" cubby should have a lot more knowledge and a decent little truck. Stay tuned to this thread to watch the progress

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, I don't use tapatalk,

for those that are just looking at the photos, the photo of the main bearing cap shows that the entire bearing was ground down to nothing! which is the cause for all the problems!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now the part I was dredding, putting it all back together.

I must have set a bad example in the past...all cubby wants to do is rattle can everything!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Note to self:

Pay closer attention to where brackets come off from!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
assembling a puzzle together...
is supposed to be quality family time :p :dunno:

if I were yer cub...
I'd probably stroke yer ego to a challenge...
and then watch as you assemble the whole damn thing :neener:

seriously tho'
post a bunch of pics as you go.
so's I don't get bored too quick :)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, we'll I don't want him wasting theoney for the new motor so I have been trying to oversee the project. We got photos the first day, but I have seemed to have come down with the "cruds" so the help and the photos have slowed down

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The motor is in, and things are going back together. I have been taking a few photos here and there and will post them as soon as I get a chance to get on an actual pc.

We are hoping to have it finished later today. We are also adding a complete exhaust from the manifold back

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it wasn't for a missing coolant line...we would have been able to make a first attempt at turning the motor over.

With some very helpful texts from Nate, we were able to route all the vacuum lines. And we also discovered there we a gm radiator in place of a toy rad. It looks like the original mounting bolts are snapped off into the captured nuts. So instead of drilling new holes the gm radiator used is only hanging from the alignment hooks. So I also had to drill new holes for it as well

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motor in! Connections made! Double checked! Triple checked,

Broken fuel line banjo fitting fixed. Water pipe fixed from p.o mangling it.

Should be ready to test/start right? It helps when you remember to keep battery charged! :mad:

We need to go replace my stolen battery charger before we can test the truck! Yes we are all pissed about the stupid oversight!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IT'S ALIVE!

It sounds pretty good. Just need to put some minor details back together like fuse block and hood. After that it is road worthy. Tomorrow I pick up MY fuel cell and put new shocks and hubs onto the "SMURF" ( my name for his truck not his hahaha)

I'll try to the photos up by the first of the week

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well even with the 4" of snow, the smurf made its maiden voyage to his job and back...all under its own power!

I made the initial drive to the auto parts for additional antifreeze (due to a pesky water leak we finally solved)

He reported that the truck felt a little "jerky" but I figured it would since we haven't put the final timing into it. But it did feel smooth enough to me to let him drive it.

Like I mentioned before, we still need to replace the hubs & original shocks and time it. He already has all the parts so we just need to do the work this week. Hopefully afterwards, I'll get a break from his and have some quality time on mine for a change! I just wish I took Thomas up on his offer to use his power probe when I had the chance!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey for the timing back off the dist then turn it up until the rpm no longer changes. Then back off a very small amount and try again. Get it right where it stops changing and you're all set. Make sure its hot and the valves are adjusted first! After you get the timing set if the idle isn't quite right you can adjust it at the tb but remember it can change the timing.

Make sure you change the oil soon as well! You don't want to put too many miles on your "break in oil as its full of assembly lube that could keep your op down. Get the motor nice and warm and then let it drain out as much as possible. Make sure you check for metal and dirt etc

I'm hoping to have my license back soon (April) I need to pull the Paseo in the garage and put that piston in/helicoil my head. By that's done driving down there won't cost much of anything to help.

I forget does your truck even crank?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went out & bought the timing light, even though I doubt it will be used on anything other than the "smurf"! But I have one now and will probably time it properly later today.

Three days since the truck has been running & the only real problem so far is no speedometer. But I haven't had a chance to look at that yet, again hopefully today

As for the oil situation, tony is mady on love with lucas& put in their break in oil with full synthetic. Everything he has read as stated to change the oil after 1000 miles including the paperwork on the motor. But I told him that was too long for my taste so we decided we'll change it at 500 miles

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I know....

I have been slacking. I promised pictures by now, but life definitely knows how to get in the way. I have been busy but I am hoping instead of being in Harlan this weekend, I should have some extra time to catch up with posting photos of both cubby's "smurf" as well as Connor's two projects he completed over here at my digs

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot how much a pain in the ass...

I forgot how much of a pain in the ass those stupid cone washers are on the front hubs!

Cubby decided to change the brakes on his truck now that it appears the motor is working as it is suppose to.

To change the brakes the hubs need to come off for the rotors and since there was a froze hub to begin with it mad since to change them at the same time.

But damn I forgot about those damn cone washers being so delicate! Good thing he bought warn hubs

·
1,860 Posts
Those cone washers aren't bad at all! Just got a know easy way to remove em....why warn hubs? Old ones trashed?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah you're right about the cone washers, it's just been almost 15 years since I have had to deal with them so it took me a bit to remember how and resort back to my "ifs mode of thinking" lol

His factory passenger side was froze, and since I warn hubs on my truck, he went out and got the same. I am hoping one he'll learn that "new and shiny" isn't always better or as cheap as just "repairing"

·
4,068 Posts
I had my first experience with cone washers when I parted out the FZJ80 axles I bought...a big whack on the side of the hub with a hammer usually does the trick!

Hows it been running since the swap?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
6 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing