TTORA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, that method works, but I like the brass drift pin method better...when I have a brass drift pin available. Lol he has too heavy of a hand to just use a chisel/drift so I took over the task and was actually pretty successful in not marring the cones.

Other than a oil leak at the valve cover the motor seems good. That is if I can keep him from the " higher rpm's". But typical kid with a new toy! He wants to "play with it" and thinks dad doesn't know. Lol

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I would consider the warns as a"rookie" move, but it's his truck.

Hopefully he'll learn. Lol

·
1,860 Posts
i have a set of aisins setting on a shelf if he decides to go back to them....

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I appreciate that. I looked at the aisen's that came off. The one that was "frozen" appears to either just be "gunked up" or possible installed wrong by the p.o as the only thing I found wrong was possibly the bolts were over torqued.

I'm going to clean up the old ones and possibly re-install them to test em out. Like I said, I suspect they are good to use. Plus Tone probably just bought new ones because he is still in the "shiny & new phase", enjoying working and still living with mom & dad if you know what I mean :)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Damn! I just realized I forgot to post up the photos taken throughout the process. Maybe if it is raining later I'll get on the computer and get them posted.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
where are the photos? where are the photos? I heard you all the way over here in the midwest!

was and have been busy. the truck has been on the road for about 600+miles now still messing with the timing and the exhaust needs some tweaking but overall it's doing much better than the truck he bought!
Here are the series of photos I took:

what the truck started out when he bought it
[/URL] Excluding the "redneck" dash cover

the parts I didn't see the need for:

the kitchen full of all the extra parts (If I would have spread my truck parts across the house like he did, I would have been strung up...the mothers love I guess)

all over the kitchen counter, kitchen table and if you notice in the background all over the bakers rack

pulling the old:

the new one shipped (don't tell him I opened it when I first picked it up, he wanted to be the first to see it so we let him believe he was)

Thomas getting his hands dirty:

progress:

new fittings for the stainless steel fuel line I built to go to the fuel rail:

old enjine out:

Cubby moving fast to see his new motor:
8.photobucket.com/user/Bear4x4/media/51B3EAEE-6938-4B3A-8815-9885F76048F7-150-00000008E7DF628F_zps727bd422.jpg.html]
[/URL]
looking over the gasket kit that was included with motor

new motor in
putting the intake manifold back on

pretty much finished:
He did all the painting on the valve cover and likes his baby blue color on "Smurf" although he calls that royal. ha ha

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
finishing details

I have to admit, he did a good job finishing up the motor. Yes i suggested this or told him "no don't do it that way" but for the most part he put it back together.

I did help him with the water line running from the heater to the block, the previous owner had jammed it so poorly, it was deformed and sprayed water out of the new motor like sivv. which was the only real problem or leak in the new motor. although we had some extensive modifying to do and a hard search we found a new one in an out of the way junk yard out of a 92 pick up that was completely there until we got ahold of it.

In fact Tony was able to reroute all the vacuum lines going off the photos he took of the donor truck (yes he took off all the california emissions crap) and properly ran his fuel lines so that he no longer needs to loosen his gas cap as he did when the p.o butchered them all.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
6 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing