1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I know:
-there is a TRD supercharger for the first generation 4.7L
-it isn't sold anymore

Does anyone have one on their truck? Experiences?

How hard/expensive are they to come by these days?
(I've been looking around, and my first impression is that they are both rare and expensive)

Were there confirmed problems with the supercharged 4.7s? Why have these been dropped as aftermarket?

Any information that you guys have on this would be great. I sold my tacoma and moved to Europe for school, but I'm heading home in August and I'm very seriously considering buying a Tundra this time. I want to keep my options open, and I always wanted to supercharge that damn tacoma, I just didn't have the chance. I guess it doesn't hurt that I'm not a poor college student anymore.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yup good luck finding one. I've been hunting for one for quit some time now. expect to pay between 3500 and 5000 for it when you do find it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wellll shit, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear

Thanks for the info. Are you happy with the stock power?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I hear, those superchargers did a great job in blowing motors up. I believe they were discontinued in 04 - meaning if you find one, make sure your truck is pre-VVTI.
Blowing up the pre-VVTI motors?

Thanks for the link, that was some real interesting reading.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe they blew up the VVTI motors more than the pre-VVTI. It's mostly a problem with the connecting rods not being strong enough. You can rebuild the engine with stronger connecting rods, but that would cost more than the supercharger.

Honestly, the stock 4.7 has plenty of power. I have a 2000, which had ~245 hp stock as opposed to the '03 and up trucks which had the same engine with a few tweaks that bumped it up to the 270's. Make sure the timing belt gets changed when it's supposed to and this engine will last a very long time. I've seen cases of people getting 5-600,000 miles without major problems. Synthetic oil helps a lot in this respect.

If you want something bigger than a tacoma but smaller than the new tundra's, this is definitely the truck for you. I've had mine places I shouldn't have been and I have yet to get stuck to the point where I need assistance getting out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want something bigger than a tacoma but smaller than the new tundra's, this is definitely the truck for you. I've had mine places I shouldn't have been and I have yet to get stuck to the point where I need assistance getting out.
Yep, this is exactly what I'm thinking. I've through some trails with my '86 toyota and with the Tacoma that a full size truck would never fit through (I've watched my dad try in his Bronco). The tundra seems to balance the added size and power nicely with its larger size.

Thanks for the info. Any other opinions or information out there?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go with a 05, 06. These years have the most power and a 5 speed auto. Like said before these trucks have nice power stock. I've riden in a SC 00' Tundra years ago and they are fast, it left two nice trails all the way down the street. Just throw some headers, intake, and unichip on it and you'll love it. Check out tundrasolutions also, wealth of info there too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendation on the '04 and '05. I'm leaning more towards an 2001-2003 due to my budget.

The less I spend on the truck, the more I'll have available for the first round of upgrades. That being said, if anyone knows of any deals out there on a first generation Tundra let me know. I'll be back in the states as early as July and I'm willing to travel to pick up a nice one.

More specifically:
-obviously the 4.7l, well maintained and preferably adult driven
-less than 200k, preferably less than 120k
-timing belt service taken care of

What do you guys see as a reasonable price for a truck in this condition?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my 2000 Limited TRD Off Road with 128K with full maint. records for about 9k, including a transmission flush and all fluids changed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to decide if its worth spending the extra couple of thousand to get one with relatively low mileage.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I swapped the 4.7 into my tacoma : ) It hauls ass!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a friend that is looking to sell his supercharger kit off of his running 2003 Tundra. He wanted me to see if we could get some interest in purchasing it before he removes it from the truck. I know that these used kits are going for anywhere from $3500 - $5000. Please respond if you are a serious buyer only, no low ball offers. Thanx, Paul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reply on does anyone have a 2000 Tundra Superchared.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 with the supercharger on the 4.7L. It runs great! I do get a check engine light issue but it points toward exhaust sensor. I think it is a short in the wire harness because I have no loss of power. It adds all the power it needs. 0-70 in nothing flat. I have never pushed to see how fast it goes but I put a turbo diesel to shame. He thought his was fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts