TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious im going back to school and thinking of a career change.

2 year degree in electronics-after getting rapped by taxes i take home about 31k a year. anyone want to share?

·
Registered
240 Posts
BSME, cal poly, almost 60k start w/ sign bonus and relocation expenses, and ~5% yearly bonus.

guess i cant complain w/ that right after i graduate!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
When are you graduating Yosh? Im a first semester Senior in ME and I'm really looking forward to being done soon. I think here on the east coast for graduates from Tennessee Tech, the average starting salary is about 56K. Im contemplating on getting my masters in ME though, if i do pursue it, all of it would be covered plus a nice monthly stipend to go with it. The only thing keeping me from saying yes, is that im pretty dang sick of school at this point.

·
Registered
240 Posts
graduated june '08. i got the offer at the end of '07 and signed right away! a few of my buddies waited until the last quarter to look for jobs. by then the market was starting to such. shoot, our class valedictorian w/ a 3.97GPA and two full summers of internships at boeing was being offered mid 40k by companies!!

if you can get school paid for, why not? just remember, real world experience is also good thought. you can know all the equations and such, but if you cant apply it to real world applications, your worthless to a company (unless your doing research stuff). another reason for school is to wait out the economy and enter when times are better and salaries are higher.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got a degree in Parks and Recreation Management. I held a job in this field at a university for about a year and a half with annual salary of 25k before taxes. Let me tell you, recreation is the last thing people think of in this economic crisis!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
are you kids smoking crack? over 50K starting with a BS? cough, cough, bullshit! good luck with that.

I don't know who you are talking to, but you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that.

and a 5% annual? are you kidding me? most companies have put a freeze on salary increases or started with salary cuts.

kids...so much to learn.

·
Registered
240 Posts
are you kids smoking crack? over 50K starting with a BS? cough, cough, bullshit! good luck with that.

I don't know who you are talking to, but you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that.

and a 5% annual? are you kidding me? most companies have put a freeze on salary increases or started with salary cuts.

kids...so much to learn.
umm, i am getting paid almost 60k/yr w/ only a BS, have been since i started 15 july 2008. i have a BS in mechanical engineering, this field pays good. i also got a 7k sign on bonus, and the company gave me a 7k stipend to relocate 55 miles. and my target bonus was 3% of my annual salary, but we found out this week that we are most likely going to get 170% that, or 5.1% bonus this year.

so crap all you want, but i am getting the above money w/ only a BS:D

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
I make enough to have a low mortgage, paid off my 330i, Z3 & Tacoma, support our son, purchase new furniture and decorations for our new home and still have enough to have some fun. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I make almost 70 grand with no degree. Im a project manager for a remodeling company but going to school to become a fire/building inspector

·
819 Posts
I have 2 AAS in Network Administration and Computer Support yet a chose a job in document control. Get paid 46k to do paperwork. My b/f has an AAS in Drafting and is a Piping Designer and believe he cleared 65k last year. We were supposed to be getting our raises next month but have now been pushed back til June and it's going to be 4% across the board. Of course, the company we work for also plans on laying off at least 800 by summer and almost 1500 by end of year. Gotta love engineering companies!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have no degree; quit college and joined the Air Force to become an aircraft mechanic. Attended about every aviation maintenance course that you can dream of and now have 25 years aviation/automotive experience, but not currently working in either industry.

I am working in the oil fields as a production Tech on oil and gas wells, clearing 90k a year with them and another 36k from my military pension. I am living proof that a redneck, blue collar guy can be successful with out a degree; you just need to go for the certifications and gain practical experience in your field.

·
Registered
416 Posts
no degree------Oil Field Gas Exploration/ Hydraulic Fracture Stimulation Operator = +70K First year, +100K after 2 years work

·
Registered
472 Posts
No degree, Aerospace manufacturing lead made a bit over 25K this year and will be getting about 30K this coming year. Not to terrible for a 21 year old with only a high school diploma.

·
Registered
59 Posts

kids...so much to learn.
umm, i am getting paid almost 60k/yr w/ only a BS, have been since i started 15 july 2008. i have a BS in mechanical engineering, this field pays good. i also got a 7k sign on bonus, and the company gave me a 7k stipend to relocate 55 miles. and my target bonus was 3% of my annual salary, but we found out this week that we are most likely going to get 170% that, or 5.1% bonus this year.

so crap all you want, but i am getting the above money w/ only a BS:D
The cost of living is what kills you in California, $60k goes a lot further in other parts of the country. It's really not outrageous to be making that much out there, especially with an engineering degree.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts