TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my custom Alcan leaf springs for my truck's rear and it came with a separately packaged red polyurethane bushings.

Will these bushings be a pain to intall?

Any tips on how to ease the installation of the bushings?

Thanks in advance.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
There should be a small container of grease with the bushing as well, use as instructions indicate. It only took me a few hours to do mine working alone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the stock overload leaf spring, should that be removed or reused?

Also shouldnt these set include the correct length U-bolts? Can I use the stock U-bolts?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The springs will not come with ubolts, unless you specifically ordered them.. which it sounds like you didnt.

As far as getting the bushings in its pretty simple, if you cant get it by hand with the grease get a 6" bolt (all thread works too) and two large washers, and one nut... use it as a clamp to squeese the bushings in..

No you remove the OEM overload, the Alcan leavs are all you need.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
AR10fan said:
I finally got my custom Alcan leaf springs for my truck's rear and it came with a separately packaged red polyurethane bushings.

Will these bushings be a pain to intall?

Any tips on how to ease the installation of the bushings?

Thanks in advance.
A. No. The leaves will be a pain

B. Push'em in with your hands, tap with hammer as needed.

No problem.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
When you talked with Alcan, what did you tell them you were going to use your truck for? Ususally they go into great detail in their questioning of the customer. When I ordered mine, they even wanted to know if I use a camper shell, what the total weight of my recovery gear was likely to be, etc.

Most likely you will not be retaining your overload unless you requested that it be factored into the specs when you ordered you custom set.

You want Alcan to make a set on U-bolts that will fit you custom springs (about $20). I think that you are going to need to call them up again. Don't be afraid to ask them even what may seem like a silly question, they are very patient and some of the greatest folks that I've ever dealt with when it comes to getting custom suspension stuff for my truck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just installed my Alcans and did get a set of longer u bolts from them. And if you use the poly bushings which I did. Make sure you grease them with the supplied grease (might want to buy some more) or those things will squeak and creak!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called back Alcan and they're going to send me the U-bolts today.

Jade said:
When you talked with Alcan, what did you tell them you were going to use your truck for? Ususally they go into great detail in their questioning of the customer. When I ordered mine, they even wanted to know if I use a camper shell, what the total weight of my recovery gear was likely to be, etc.

Most likely you will not be retaining your overload unless you requested that it be factored into the specs when you ordered you custom set.

You want Alcan to make a set on U-bolts that will fit you custom springs (about $20). I think that you are going to need to call them up again. Don't be afraid to ask them even what may seem like a silly question, they are very patient and some of the greatest folks that I've ever dealt with when it comes to getting custom suspension stuff for my truck.
Yes I did go thru the process you mentioned above and I did not ask for the Overload leaf to be retained so that decides it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts