TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building some sliders out of 2 1/4'' inch steel tubing with 1 1/2'' square tubing dividers and they are bolt on, will be painted black and topped with diamond plate(for step traction, and style)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Pretty wont matter after you use them a few times :D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Chris-

95% of the people here don't wheel like you and I do, but I agree with you. How many times have we bent or dented DOM sliders?

Tim

·
Registered
587 Posts
dirtrider15 said:
building some sliders out of 2 1/4'' inch steel tubing with 1 1/2'' square tubing dividers and they are bolt on, will be painted black and topped with diamond plate(for step traction, and style)
I'm planning on running diamond plate on my sliders too.

BTW, has anybody used a single piece of steel for sliders, like a 2.5x6 inch stick, welding some covers at the end and then just welding some brackets to weld to the frame? What would be the downfalls of this design? Weight?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
5vzfe said:

BTW, has anybody used a single piece of steel for sliders, like a 2.5x6 inch stick, welding some covers at the end and then just welding some brackets to weld to the frame? What would be the downfalls of this design? Weight?
I've seen sliders like this. They would be heavy, and prone to denting unless you used thick wall tube... which would add more weight.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
generalee7 said:
Hell no not yet :D I'm waiting to get chromo shafts, ORS cage is gonna get ordered tomorrow :)
Wa wa wa. Just dooooo it!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
5vzfe said:

Weight, weight and then more weight. These aren't steps, these are sliders, designed to protect the body.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Weight, weight and then more weight. These aren't steps, these are sliders, designed to protect the body.
Yes i know they are sliders, I have no prob getting in my truck with 2.25 inches of lift as of now. The reason that popped into my head is that I've seen other peoples sliders and they basically have 2-2inch tubes running side by side with some 2 inch square tubing in between them. So i figured that if I used the same tubing thickness that they use, the amount of steel used would be around the same, right? :confused: I have no problem using the square tubing, cutting it, welding and installing. But i figured that it could probably weigh the same. But i guess not.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
First off, if you don't know the difference right now you don't need to worry about it.
Second off, if you get to the point where you need to know the difference and are a competant welder/fabricator, when it breaks fucking fix it better.
Third off, what I've read regarding square vs. round is that if you can anticipate the direction of impact, square will take a harder hit before bending whereas round will take it equally well from all sides. My interpretation of this is related to when competant fabricators with alot of experience like Demello make a slider, it is square in the middle and round outside- square takes the hits at right angles, straight up and directly in where the legs run and the round on the outside gets what it gets.

Just build the shit man, plenty of gussets where you make butt joints and when you outgrow them, make some more. This is ain't suspension, its a damn slider.
Speaking from personal experience, you're never going to learn anything worth knowing getting worried to death about bullshit you read on the fucking internet.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thats not a burn at all. Wgasa and Tim wheel harder than 99% of the people on this board and that is where they are coming from- and their advice is absolutely correct for their application.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
10 Participants
jhunter
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing