TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, I haven’t been around on the forums much. Sorry, but I am hoping you will still offer your assistance and expertise!

I need a new front axle. It seems it would be more time and probably cost effective to get a complete set up. I was hoping someone has some info in regards to a situation like this and maybe even some experience with a vendor. I would prefer that the axle comes from CO, as I can go pick it up and save on shipping hopefully. By turnkey I mean, hub to hub. I understand that I will need to fabricate and place all my brackets. In fact I want it that way, to make sure the brackets are placed correctly

I know of the obvious….
http://www.diamondaxle.com/index.htm
I am interested in their 60/9 combo. I have not had a chance to contact them yet. I am hoping that they can offer a turnkey package. Chances are I will need a 3rd member, prob True Hi 9, if I went this route.

http://www.spidertrax.com/
Looks like they are having stock issues, almost everything is out of stock. I am not very familiar with them other then it seems pretty high end. I am not sure about the unit bearings either. Anyone have an opinion?

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/products.html
I am not sure if they are still in business. But I did find some text that stated that they can build turn key
“Call for info on complete custom axle buildups--we're happy to build hybrid axles using everything from Dana 44 to Eaton centers, as well as other aftermarket centers, to your needs--rear steer, custom differential offsets, improved clearance, etc. “
Any ideas or opinions on this one?

http://www.solidaxle.com/index.htm
This is out of state, but seems like they are reasonable.

Then there is Currie and Dynatrack, but they seem jeep specific or at least very vehicle specific with their brackets

I know that Diamond is a big hit around here for the Toy components. I don’t need any Toy components on the axle. In fact I am running a 5 x5.5 bolt pattern (one reason the unit bearings are appealing) so I am looking for Dana 60/ ford 9” components.

The other options would be to source a 60 and build it up. I have even considered going with a Chevy 60, because they are everywhere. However, that would require a new t-case and exhaust work. I’m not completely opposed to that but it wouldn’t be ideal.

If I was to build it, here is what I am thinking as far as cost wise.
- 60 hub to hub ---- 800-1500
- Axles ---- 1250
- U-joints --- 600
- Hubs --- 500
- R&P --- 500
- Locker --- 600
- Brakes --- ??
- Misc --- ??
- What am I missing???

That is not even complete and we are at 4050.00 ……

Anyone have an opinion they would like to share or offer any advice regarding the situation?

Thank you

F**K I’m confused!

·
7,735 Posts
Hey man...

Turnkey is going to be difficult outside the jeep world. It's worth a call to Brian up at Diamond/FROR (he's up in Red Feather Lakes area). I know he worked with Nate and supplied nearly everything he needed for his axle (minus the thrid).

There WILL be a delay to actually get the product, but when you do it will be top notch. He gets busy, but he will return calls and he's been really good about responding to messages I've sent using his site. I won't lie, I was expecting to wait for my axle, and it took longer than I expected, but I'm very happy with what I got.

I have no experience with the rest. Another vendor you didn't mention is RuffStuff (located in Cali). They're more of a "builder parts" type place not turnkey, but they do supply an outstanding product. Lots of KOH cars are running and flat out punishing their stuff.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
A buddy of mine has some D60s laying around; I think one is HP, some are kingpins and all are Ferd. I'll PM you his number.

·
Registered
785 Posts
are you looking for a stock axle, or a built axle? if just stock, call aj's salvage. they are really nice there, and their prices are seemingly fair with what i have gotten there so far

526 Hugo St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone:(719) 578-1876
Hours:
9:00 am–5:00 pm

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
If I were to do mine all over again I would go to Crane. Located in Commerce City Colorado. If I were to ever destroy my axle Id buy a turn key from them. They have great customer service and I also like they are local.

I also think my front end didn't cost what you first said. I think Im around 3500 for my front end.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If I were to do mine all over again I would go to Crane. Located in Commerce City Colorado. If I were to ever destroy my axle Id buy a turn key from them. They have great customer service and I also like they are local.

I also think my front end didn't cost what you first said. I think Im around 3500 for my front end.
Yea your right. We only are at $3500 for the front.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yea your right. We only are at $3500 for the front.
HA! My THIRD cost nearly that much. :eek:

OP: how much do you want to spend? Under $10K, $7K, $5K? What do you intend to do with it? Street legal or not?

As far as quality goes (local or not), Spidertrax is top of the line. And you don't have to go with unit bearings (although their new chromo ultimate unit bearings are the shit :cool:). The front I'm building is a Spidertrax housing but has spindles instead of unit bearings.

If you're planning on putting on all the brackets anyway, why do you need a 'turnkey' axle, especially if you're going to go with a third?

IMHO, I would stick with something that has D60 outers. You will have LOTS more options on knuckles, axles, and high steer arms....and it will probably make your life a lot easier ;)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Brian @diamond was awesome. I just did housing, shafts, brake conversion, steering. I told him my setup and he knew the measurements to make everything. It works great. I'd buy it again. He can do custome 3rd/knuckle combos and stuff.

With that said.....

I saw the ruff stuff housing whe I was at redline landcruisers. They are out of state and I talked to them before Brian. Seem like awesome guys also smart. The axles seem to be awesome quality and they tend to lean more on d60 or American parts. I chose diamond due to cost,rep,and supporting a local company.

The only thing with Brian is sometimes he gets behind and axles can take a bit to get. He's a one man shop.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!

Thanks for all the responses so far!

I guess turn key is the wrong term. I really just want the inner C's set up. I can build the rest. But i dont want to set the C's up! I am sure i could get it right in the end, but damn that sounds like a lot of work!

as far as money. I am already balls deep in the truck, so wtf.

I am hoping 7-10k but could always settle for spending less.

I will check into Crane. If i purchase the axle i would like to keep it local, which would include, Diamond, Spider, Rockstomper, Crane......

So we have a lot of choices here. I would like to stick with mainly 60 parts. 60-9 sounds interesting and I love the 9" 3rd memeber. I am unsure how that set up works? Do the 60 axle shafts slide into the 9" carrier??

What do i want to do with it? Good question! I want it to not break when i beat the crap out of it. :)

Thanks for all the help and leads. I will reach out and see what we come up with!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Do the 60 axle shafts slide into the 9" carrier??
Custom shafts with 60 splines on one end and 9" splines on the other.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I would personally go Brian up at front range, get your housing with the inner C's put together, and maybe have him make you your inner shafts, then piece the rest of your parts together after that. Everything except the housing, shafts, and inner C's are all bolt on components anyway. (aside from the obvious suspension brackets)

Brian has been more than accommodating for my build process/changes along the way, and everything has worked out great so far. Top notch product. However, as others have stated, it'll be a little while before you actually get the axle. I waited almost 6 months for my 2 axles, which were complete minus third and brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts