TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my buddy who builds tailgates to build me one for my Taco since I recently did a number on my stock one with my 4wheeler. I wanted something that would be strong to handle easily loading and unloading my 4wheeler and also could handle taking a beating in general. Here is what we came up with, I really like it and it is beefy as hell. These pictures are with it not painted as we were making sure every thing works and fits good, it will be painted black to match my truck. This gate uses the hinges from the stock tailgate. Anyway enjoy our creation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nice work!

Ugly and functional is what it's all about ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AggieTaco said:
Wow, that's pretty ugly.

Did you just bend the stock one trying to get a 4wheeler up there?
So show me a strong custom taco tailgate that looks good in your mind.....I would be happy to see what someone else has come up with for a tailgate that looks good. Personally I think it looks fine and it will be better once it is painted. Plus if I was worried about the looks of my taigate I would paint some sweet graphics on it, then signup on customtacos

Yes I was using the cheap straps that came with the ramp and didnt have them as tight as I thought. Ramp came off the tailgate and the whole weight of the 4 wheeler was resting on the tailgate. Once it was crunched up a bit, it lost any strength it had. I now use my tiedowns hooked to the hitch to hold the ramp to the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Actually, looking at that design, it gives me some ideas...

Have the latch bolts come out of simple slots in the back there, something you can grab but the holes are relatively small. On the inside (backside), weld on a couple of stout tabs with holes drilled about 1/4in or so, for a padlock. Have a couple of "keys" made out of plate steel that fit into a vertical slot and have a hole that match the padlock hole, and have a notched bar inside that will hold the key, but also allow the handle to slide back and forth.

Look at the pic. You'll need a notched bar after the key, to keep the key in place when locked, but that would allow you to lock from the inside while still maintaining the same functionality. Just a random thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
=ACID RAIN= said:
Actually, looking at that design, it gives me some ideas...

Have the latch bolts come out of simple slots in the back there, something you can grab but the holes are relatively small. On the inside (backside), weld on a couple of stout tabs with holes drilled about 1/4in or so, for a padlock. Have a couple of "keys" made out of plate steel that fit into a vertical slot and have a hole that match the padlock hole, and have a notched bar inside that will hold the key, but also allow the handle to slide back and forth.

Look at the pic. You'll need a notched bar after the key, to keep the key in place when locked, but that would allow you to lock from the inside while still maintaining the same functionality. Just a random thought.
I thought about doing something like that but didnt like the idea of tabs sticking out on the inside. Plus I really dont have a need for it to be locked. If I have my topper on and have the back folding door locked it wont let you put the gate down without breaking the latch system on the topper. Plus if the topper is off I dont think having the gate locked would prevent something from being stolen, when they could lift it over the bed rails.
One thing I do like is that the latch pins are spring loaded which I think is a nice feature.

I do agree though I would have like to have seen the openings for the latch pins to be a little smaller, we are thinking of maybe making some spring loaded covers to go over those openings to keep road grime and such off the latches and to cover the openings.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ah ok I see, yeah that spring loaded cover is a good idea :)

I get it on the tabs, I was thinking that too but thought I'd toss it out there anyways.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
purity said:
how much weight did that add to the rear? did you reinforce the frame?
If I remember right when we weighed the thing is was about 50lbs more than the stock one, so its got some weight to it thats for sure.

Its not on yet as the paint needs to dry but I currently do not have the rear portion of the frame reinforced but it will be getting Frame Plates on the 6th of April at CBI in Idaho Falls. I already had the plates planned to go on before I messed up my stock tailgate. I saw a completely stock taco here in town that had some small cracks in the rear portion of his frame so I have been planning on getting CBI to put their plates on as an overall preventative measure to hopefully keep frame crack issues at bay in the future.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
So show me a strong custom taco tailgate that looks good in your mind.....I would be happy to see what someone else has come up with for a tailgate that looks good. Personally I think it looks fine and it will be better once it is painted. Plus if I was worried about the looks of my taigate I would paint some sweet graphics on it, then signup on customtacos
Oh, I didn't say I'd seen a good looking one, just that that one is ugly. Just like I still haven't seen a good looking FJC.

·
Registered
296 Posts
AggieTaco said:
Oh, I didn't say I'd seen a good looking one, just that that one is ugly. Just like I still haven't seen a good looking FJC.
assuming its not all mangled up it would probably be possible to take the old outside skin from the old one and put it onto the one he just built. It would need some cuts in it to access the latches but other than that it would look almost stock.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
X2.

Skin it w/the stock tailgate

·
Registered
398 Posts
X2.

Skin it w/the stock tailgate
x3... that would make it look stock yet it would be the heavy duty factor that you are looking for.

it reminds me of a lift that they use to get people in wheelchairs out of vans.:2cents:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ummm, cool, but i never had trouble loading my 4wheeler or dirtbikes into the back of my 85, i woulda just reinforced a stock one.

In your case i would make a cover for the holes where i guess you turn the locking thingamajig, or even use like f250 door handles:D There is even one in the parking lot to use:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ummm, cool, but i never had trouble loading my 4wheeler or dirtbikes into the back of my 85, i woulda just reinforced a stock one.

In your case i would make a cover for the holes where i guess you turn the locking thingamajig, or even use like f250 door handles:D There is even one in the parking lot to use:D
Well good for you that you have never had trouble. I only did once and it was my stupid mistake to use the straps that came with the ramp. They were not tight enough and the ramp slid off the tailgate and the 900 lbs of me and my sportsman were balancing right on the end of the gate, it ended up bending the crap out of it. I thought of reinforcing the stock one but figured once it was bent that it was pointless to to beef it up once it was already messed up. Plus the price I paid my buddy to help me build this was cheaper that buying a new stock one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think you and your buddy did a good job, its not meant to look pretty, but be strong and functional.

Nice work :saw:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Looks like crap but I know where you're coming from. Damn those straps not being on good enough. ;)

I just got a new tailgate for $50 and made sure the straps were on better.

·
Registered
285 Posts
.....I would be happy to see what someone else has come up with for a tailgate that looks good. Personally I think it looks fine.....
I have an ongoing camping project.

I needed a stronger tail gate, so I took apart a stock tail gate, added reinforcement then put it back together. I think that added about 10 lbs, and was way TOO MUCH work. I’m not 100% happy with the results, but I may like it better when I get done and painted.

My tailgate is now undergoing a license plate frenching surgery and then should be ready for paint. Since this is part of a bigger project the tailgate is not on my truck yet.

I like your tail gate much better and may build something like yours. Thanks for posting the results and idea(s)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not really sure how well it holds up, but alot of guys with work trucks just take a sheet of aluminum and rivet it over the top.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts