TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and '03 D-cab with the Fabtech 6" Lift. I'm looking to replace the extended struts that came with the lift with coilovers. I'm tossed between having full length Kings made or going with Extended Travel Donahoes and having custom rod ends (part that attaches to LCA) machined to pick up the difference. Which route do you think I should take? A search seems to show that Hoes are favored over other CO but they don't do custom builds whereas King does.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You might want to hook up with Sincitytaco on this topic. He is doing something similar in another thread right now. He has a lot of info. He is doing a late model, but it wouldn't hurt to check in with him.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You're welcome. First link was his LT, second link is for his 05. The 05 is the one he wants to put Kings on.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I was told a few months ago, that Kings were the only coilover that could be added to the fabtech lift.

Am i wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not necessarily, Kings seem to be the only ones that will readily build their coilovers to the correct length. You can use other manufacturer coilovers provided that you do something to compensate for the the length or lack of it. Some people use the barrel spacers that you find on the 6" TM lift. From other threads I've read this causes clearance issues at full droop with the stock UCA or spindle and the coilovers top mount plate or adjustment collar. Aftermarket UCA seem to correct this. Another solution is to add an 'extension' that effectively lengthens the rod end, the part that attaches to the LCA, to make up for the length difference. This is what fabtech is doing to their 2.5 Dirt Logics on their Performance 6" lifts for the '05s and over. Alternately you can have a machine shop machine this "slug" extension for you which is something I am contemplating doing with the DR extended travel coilovers.

Here's a write up illustrating stock height King Coilver (I'm assuming this because of the spacer used) and the clearance issues at full droop.

http://parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/allpro1inuni/allpro1inuni.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts