TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Mor4wd has done this and he claims it works very well. The idea is to get another stock taco leaf pack and use it to create a custom pack out of toyota leafs. I dont have the extra 500 bucks for deavers and I might be going higher this year also so it would be pointless to waste a lot of money.

I have a 2000 Taco with 3 inch cornfed and fabtech short AAL. So I was thinking I dont ever haul anything in the taco, so as for the leafs I was going to take out the overload leaf and add 2-3 more leafs(cutting them accordingly) Then I would put on a 2 inch shackel and have about the same lift i did before but with better flex. While I am under there I am going to get Demello's Rock Crawler Shock Relocation kit /\ and u bolt flip kit.

Some people have told me that taking the overload leaf is not a good idea bec if the springs flex negativly then can break. This makes sense, but I dont think it will be bad because Deaver, Alcan, or All-pro springs dont have overload leaves. I was just going to set up a bumpstop so it doesnt negitive flex that much.

I just wanted to see what yalls opinion is on this. Sorry for the long rant.

Brian

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did this on my truck and it worked out pretty well. I had to get a new centering pin, though, because I chose to leave the overload spring in and the stock pin wasn't long enough. It worked out well, though, because my centering pins were all rusted out, anyways. Just go to home depot and make sure the bolt head size is about the same.

On mine, I got about 3" of lift but it is already starting to sag (putting in shackles soon). I've only had a couple of issues with mine:

1) On the passenger side, the springs would rub against the exhaust pipe which caused some fanning. Solved this by renting a exhaust pipe cutter at Checker and cutting it right after the bend downward. If they start to fan out, just smack them back into place with a sledge hammer.

2) As this type of lift sags rather quickly without having re-arcing done at a spring shop, I've found that it is starting to stretch the e-brake cable. Fix forthcoming after finals.

Other than that, I've been very happy with it. I took mine off of my truck and used a newer TRD set as my base and cut up my originals. While I had them off, I coated everything in Rustoleum flat black industrial enamel and shot powdered graphite between all the springs and in the spring eyes to eliminate the squeaking that I used to have. Also, you'll usually have two long leafs left afterwards in addition to your overload springs. I took one and ground the powdercoat off and graded one end so it is now a makeshift prybar.

Here are some pictures of the setup on my truck:

http://www.unm.edu/~andy00/images/100_1697.JPG
http://www.unm.edu/~andy00/images/100_1712.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
00Andy said:
I did this on my truck and it worked out pretty well. I had to get a new centering pin, though, because I chose to leave the overload spring in and the stock pin wasn't long enough.
You will need a new center pin whenever you rebuild a pack.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Autozone, Advance, Checkers and other places like that will have new Center pins.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I got the Deaver add on pack. It was only $180-200. New U bolts, new centering pin. # tapered length leafs, instead of 1. Works really well. Kept the good, tapered swing arch in the spring, and their stuff has a long history of not failing. 3 previous trucks, from work to race. All had some form of their rear springs. Way worth 2 bills to be sure !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
rojodiablo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing