TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude, I was just trying to get some info before purchasing a new 4.0L and just found everyone over there has a series "little man complex". Whats up with that?
Just trying to figure out if the auto or the 6spd in the 4.0L would be the quickest? I have seen some really good 0-60 mph times with the auto. Car and driver claims to have got 7.1 out of a long box quad cab auto...but only got 7.4 out of a quad cab short box 6 spd?

Anyway....guys over there are way to uptight...and really scared of the s/c'd 3.4 vs the X-runner.
The s/c'd 3.4 has them out gunned with HP and less weight! I dont know what the great mystery is?
If you want to see it for yourself, you can visit the performance section and look at the "6spd or auto? quicker?" thread......

One chuckle head thinks his stock X is faster than a 3.4L with s/c, 7th, 9psi pulley, URD tuning, headers....ect ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
i guess you would have to figure in driver skill. i would say go with the C/D article because there is a difference in weight btwn the two. or, go for a couple of test drives
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
I can say this.. THe xrunner that URD has beats a porsche! End of story! anyways.. its all good. I dont like custom tacos for offroading. They have a lot of stuff, but not too much for building what I like ( a Race Sand Truck ) I have an 05 and gonna run the stock class and hopefully in 2 years the baja 1000 and 500. Anyways.. Good luck in getting info. URD has worldclass stuff btw. Only thing you can put on for 05+ for SC for now.. TRD is coming out, but for now its URD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ryguy said:
I can say this.. THe xrunner that URD has beats a porsche! End of story! anyways.. its all good. I dont like custom tacos for offroading. They have a lot of stuff, but not too much for building what I like ( a Race Sand Truck ) I have an 05 and gonna run the stock class and hopefully in 2 years the baja 1000 and 500. Anyways.. Good luck in getting info. URD has worldclass stuff btw. Only thing you can put on for 05+ for SC for now.. TRD is coming out, but for now its URD.

Yeah....I am not doubting for a second you can make an X, or any 4.0L a beast in comparison to a 3.4L
BUT, they are saying they can take out highly moddified 3.4's with a stock X. I have raced an X on a straight piece of road. My supercharged ONLY 04 beat him all the way to 75mph, where I shut her down. I am sure after that point he would have started pulling up....but 0-60mph (which is the in town races I am always getting into) the X didnt stack up to my s/c'd ONLY 3.4....let a lone a s/c'd, 7th, urd tuned, 9si pulley, headers, intake, water injection fricken beast on a 3.4
The X is out gunned by atleast 100rwhp and is also heavier at 3735 vs 3515.
BUT, they wont hear it......

...Its like, DUDE, I am getting a 4.0L...I am not dissing it. The fact of the matter is though, the 3.4 modded with a s/c and up will beat a stock X.....it puts out more power and weighs less! But the blinders are on and all they see is their sport truck vs a 4x4.....
wonder what trdolman thinks about that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
We make fun of that board all the time here. Basically, we try to send all of the asshats that check in here over there. LOL

One word of warning though, this is an off road board so if you start bringing up Custom Taco type topics here you'd better either have your flame suit on or have some very thick skin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dick Foster said:
We make fun of that board all the time here. Basically, we try to send all of the asshats that check in here over there. LOL

One word of warning though, this is an off road board so if you start bringing up Custom Taco type topics here you'd better either have your flame suit on or have some very thick skin.

Dude, I like it over here so much more its not even funny. I hate the way some of those guys are over there. I wasnt trying to raise a bunch of tail feathers....just asking a simple question. Then all the sudden, all the X runner guys started jumping on me.

I realize it is an offroad board...but this is a performance section and there are some highly modded rigs on here. I am buying a 4x4, but 80% of the time I am on the road and I do like having power! :)\\

I am still waiting for a response over there on how its so hard to believe a s/c'd 3.4 putting out 220-230 RWHP,weighs 3515, and is a 5spd tranny is going to loose to a 203rwhp 3735 lb truck?? Cause according to them, its "not mathematicall possible"......dont know what kind of mathematics they are using, but obviously there own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Man, get the damn auto. It is a long time proven tranny that has been upgraded over time. With a simple upgrade it can hold a crap load of power.

The new 6 speed has such a shitty record. The one that came on my XRunner lasted less then 30,000 miles and I am now on my second one. The new one does seem better, but I have my doubts it will hold up like the auto will.

Then there is the problem with the poorly done throttle logic with the throttle by wire system. It makes it IMPOSSIBLE to make a smooth 1-2 shift. It is butter smooth with the auto.

Now keep in mind I sell a nice short throw shifter for the 6 speed that is a must do upgrade to get ride of that overly long row boat shifter and I am telling you to buy an auto that I make nothing for....

Hey Dick, what the hell is an ass hat? Is that something like a jag off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gadget said:
Man, get the damn auto. It is a long time proven tranny that has been upgraded over time. With a simple upgrade it can hold a crap load of power.

The new 6 speed has such a shitty record. The one that came on my XRunner lasted less then 30,000 miles and I am now on my second one. The new one does seem better, but I have my doubts it will hold up like the auto will.

Then there is the problem with the poorly done throttle logic with the throttle by wire system. It makes it IMPOSSIBLE to make a smooth 1-2 shift. It is butter smooth with the auto.

Now keep in mind I sell a nice short throw shifter for the 6 speed that is a must do upgrade to get ride of that overly long row boat shifter and I am telling you to buy an auto that I make nothing for....

Hey Dick, what the hell is an ass hat? Is that something like a jag off?

Thanks Gadget.......what other vehicles has that auto. I hope its not the tundra one, we have an 05 and when floored it hangs in the converter way to long. I like short crisp shifts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Unless you feel like burning up your clutch right quick the auto will be faster off the line also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my clutch in the 3.4L got smoked pretty bad the other night lighting up the tires! Though, atleast it has an accuse....it has a lot more HP being thrown at it than a stock truck...haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
135boom i am also on the custom tacos forum and so is gadget if u didn't know the 3.4 that you have will hand the stock x runners ass any day of the week im not sure what they were talking about over there ill look for the thread and as far as tranny's go ive got an auto yea people talk shit on it some times but hey i was over it, shifting 500 times a day and road head is much easier to get also :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
135boom said:
Thanks Gadget.......what other vehicles has that auto. I hope its not the tundra one, we have an 05 and when floored it hangs in the converter way to long. I like short crisp shifts.
The auto is very easy to upgrade to get rid of the luxury car shifting.

Check out my site and instead of L-10 I now recommend Import Performance Transmissions in NJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Gadget said:
The auto is very easy to upgrade to get rid of the luxury car shifting.

Check out my site and instead of L-10 I now recommend Import Performance Transmissions in NJ.

any specific reason you don't suggest Level 10 anymore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
I love my manual, and wouldn't drive anything else. But when it comes down to it, anyone will have to admit that unless you have the resources to replace a clutch every year, an auto tranny is your best bet for 0-60's.

Not as fun though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
QUOTE "I am still waiting for a response over there on how its so hard to believe a s/c'd 3.4 putting out 220-230 RWHP,weighs 3515, and is a 5spd tranny is going to loose to a 203rwhp 3735 lb truck?? Cause according to them, its "not mathematicall possible"......dont know what kind of mathematics they are using, but obviously there own."

I don't know about the math, or the numbers, but I do know what I've seen.

There are several supercharged older gen Tacomas here in the Houston area that can't outrun my bone stock '05 TRD Sport.

I havn't seen any yet that can.

One of them belonged to a guy that spent monster money doing all the mods and fuel system upgrades. I'm pretty sure he had more money tied up in his supercharged '04 doublecab than I spent on my truck.

He was really proud of it and was more than willing to demonstrate his awesome power by doing huge smokey burnouts at the "Meet And Greet" gatherings.

I saw some pretty impressive donuts in the parking lot of a restaraunt behind that.

After I spanked his ass, we never saw him Again. :dunno:

I didn't buy my truck to dragrace, and street racing is dumb, but don't underestimate that 4.0.

It will get after it pretty good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what happened said:
135boom i am also on the custom tacos forum and so is gadget if u didn't know the 3.4 that you have will hand the stock x runners ass any day of the week im not sure what they were talking about over there ill look for the thread and as far as tranny's go ive got an auto yea people talk shit on it some times but hey i was over it, shifting 500 times a day and road head is much easier to get also :D

Yeah, I knew. Seems I have more wheel power, less weight and to me a force inducted motor makes "different" hp anyway.
AND, the fact that I beat an X on a straight piece of road with all my hunting gear AND a 4-point white tail in the back made me realize that my truck does indeed have the upper hand.
Dude over there just cant let the X runner ego down. Says he is beat a guy with a modded s/c'd 3.4.
BUT, then to find out, this guy posts and says that he is not running any faster quarter miles with all his mods than he was with the stock truck and blower....AND its a pre-runner (automatic)...haha.
That doesnt even compare to a 5spd truck in my experience! SO, it just farther proved my point that my truck (stock 04 5spd with just s/c) would kill a stock X.
NOT THAT IT EVEN MATTERS....I wasnt out for a pissing match anyhow. Just trying to find out what tranny is best, and he started attacking me about nothingness...so then it all began
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top