TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever made some sort of "cut-off" switch for thier truck to keep it from being stolen? I mean like a switch thats hidden somewhere and when turned off , it will dissable the starter and/or the entire battery itself from the truck. I know the latter (separating the battery from the truck) would erase the memory in the radio but just wondering if anyones did this and how did you do it?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Just put a switch on the fuel pump :)

Less amperage to deal with (ie. cheaper switch) and real easy to wire up.

Sucker'll turn over all day, but it aint goin' nowhere.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
thats a damn good idea! but i gueass they could easily drag it off and then strip it

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
My cousin had a little toggle switch on his Dodge that would prevent it from starting but I don't remember what it cutoff.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i use one of these

have it on my main battery + run

i drilled into the cab so that only the switch is inside and the cables stay out, its not hidden but without the "key" you arent going anywhere

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
fuel pump cut off is a good idea. But if they want it, they will get it, no matter what you do. They'll just tow it, strip it and leave it. Switch will slow the average thief down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My old truck had a fuel pump cut off.

I agree with the above however... it's only going to slow down an amature. A pro will flatbed it.

I thought about installing one on my Tacoma, but then I realized that most amatures won't get passed the stock immobilizer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i use one of these

have it on my main battery + run

i drilled into the cab so that only the switch is inside and the cables stay out, its not hidden but without the "key" you arent going anywhere

I was thinking about doing that but wondered if i would lose my memory in my preset radio channels by disconnecting the battery line all the time. Do you lose yours when you turn that key?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I was thinking about doing that but wondered if i would lose my memory in my preset radio channels by disconnecting the battery line all the time. Do you lose yours when you turn that key?
yes, it totally disconnects the battery. i never use my radio anymore so it doesnt bother me

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Been a long time ago, friend of mine had something like "the club" but it went between the seat and the brake pedal- compressing it. Make it hard to flat bed w/out putting dollies under the tires.
I've got a switch on mine and haven't been happier or slept better since. I have another one and looking for a place to put it for a backup.

I thought about putting a switch on the lights so if they found the first one and started it up and took off hopefully it wouldn't be too long before they got stopped :D Surely its less likely to get popped during the day?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Been a long time ago, friend of mine had something like "the club" but it went between the seat and the brake pedal- compressing it. Make it hard to flat bed w/out putting dollies under the tires.
I've got a switch on mine and haven't been happier or slept better since. I have another one and looking for a place to put it for a backup.

I thought about putting a switch on the lights so if they found the first one and started it up and took off hopefully it wouldn't be too long before they got stopped :D Surely its less likely to get popped during the day?
couldn't the thief just loosen your brake bleeder valves?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
FYI: The club that goes from the brake pedal to the steering wheel comes off in less than 30 seconds with a battery powered saw. The metal shaft may be hardened, but the steering wheel rim is easy to cut. A cop friend of mine told me that they had a nice collection of used clubs that were recovered from the back seat of stripped cars. seems that scum bag car thieves do have a sense of humor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts