TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea why my cut off wheels blow apart after a couple minutes of use? This never used to be a problem for me. I'm making straight cuts on a standard grinder with rpm's well within the cut off wheel's recommended range. I've tried different brands (all name brands), flipping the wheels, a bunch of different cutting positions, and even tried the off-set wheels, all of which didn't help.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Sheesh?????? Bad/bent mandrel .... bad bearings .... obviously not the blades?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
wow. i dont know what to tell you but it sounds dangerous, and i would be scared for my life lol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TRoss: No, this is just a 110 volt grinder.

Greg: Yeah, it is really dangerous. One piece came off and hit me in the hand after bouncing around under the yota for a while. It still cut the skin and I had a bruise for a couple of weeks. Then another wheel disintegrated when I was working in the basement and it bounced off of the wall, then the ceiling, and finally cut through a zip tie and nearly all the way through the 1/2" electrical cable that powers the well!

Ed: That's a good thought. It never occurred to me that the grinder could be going south...it has seen better days.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
wow, remind me not to come near you when you are using that grinder haha. if its just an angle grinder, you can pick up a 4.5" black and decker at wally world for 30 bucks. mine works great

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The least little bit of side load on them and they will come apart.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
STOMPER said:
The least little bit of side load on them and they will come apart.
X2 I had mutiple do this and when adding to much pressure trying to cut.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Its either the way your cutting or your grinder needs to hit the trash!! Probably the grinder if it didnt always do this.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RamToolTaco said:
Its either the way your cutting or your grinder needs to hit the trash!! Probably the grinder if it didnt always do this.
Yeah, I've broken these wheels by putting a side load on them before, but this is different. The funeral for my grinder will be at 6:00pm on Thursday night if anyone would like to attend. Weather permitting, it will be an outside service.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
1moreyota said:
Yeah, I've broken these wheels by putting a side load on them before, but this is different. The funeral for my grinder will be at 6:00pm on Thursday night if anyone would like to attend. Weather permitting, it will be an outside service.
I know this is a tough time .... my condolences :p :p :p

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
you can always share grinders with someone else lol

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
1moreyota said:
I'm sorry I couldn't make the service, and for misunderstanding which power tool was terminal. I trust it was parted out respectfully....

Now, GO BUY A NEW ONE!!! WooooWhooo!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I bought the new dewalt (the good one) last week after the inside of my grinder came apart. I love it, I tried my dads mil. grinder and hated how the trigger is towards the back. Makes it hard to one hand it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mossyrocks said:
I bought the new dewalt (the good one) last week after the inside of my grinder came apart. I love it, I tried my dads mil. grinder and hated how the trigger is towards the back. Makes it hard to one hand it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the DeWalt for my replacement.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It was on sale at lowes for 79. Make sure you dont buy the cheaper one with the side trigger.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mossyrocks said:
It was on sale at lowes for 79. Make sure you dont buy the cheaper one with the side trigger.
I built the whole taco with one :) In fact I was cutting 3/8" chit with it today while working on my front bumper :) ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts