TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the deal, I have a 2004 Tacoma D-cab 4x4 TRD. I installed the Toytec/OME lift with 882s, toytec topout spacer and a 1" diff drop as reccommended by Toytec. The lift has been installed for about 3k miles and I noticed that my innner CV boot is getting a pretty nice groove in it. I read a few threads on here about how the diff drop really did not do much to alleviate the CV angle problem and if I were to run between 2-2.5" of lift in the front I probably would not have as many problems with my CV angles even without the diff drop.

So in case that didnt make any sense I removed the topout spacer and the diff drop so all I have for lift in the front is OME 882s. It lowered the truck at least 0.5" (if not more) but still looks like the innner CVs fins are going to rub pretty bad. My question is will it be OK or do I need to do something else? I dont mind working on my stuff but I think changing CVs every 3k miles is a little extreme.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think the problem with CV boots around here is just luck of the draw. I have had my lift for almost 100,000 miles and only had to replace 1 boot. Other guys have been lucky also, and some have not. I wouldn't worry to much about changing the first one. Just keep track of how long the new one holds up and go from there.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you could also try ot some high-angle cv boots. i think all-pro, ors, and cv unlimited make some. I have some all-pro ones waiting to go on as soon as the stockers go

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
On my 05, the boots fins were rubbing also, even at 2.5 lift. So I bought some new boot clamps to fix the problem. I cut the old clamps off the axle shaft, pulled the boots to the inboard side of the axle and re-clamped them. They currently do not rub. However, if you do this mod, do not let the CV grease get on the axle shaft, or the clamps will NOT hold the boot in place. This is the risk you take when doing this mod. Also, if you do not have the proper clamp pliers, do not attempt this mod. Proceed at your own risk!!!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
If you want, manual hub swap and never worry about boots (unless you wheel non-stop!)

Good idea on the diff drop though. It doesn't do shiat!

But at 2.5" of lift, the fins shouldn't rub. Only worry about the inside boot.

I'm set at 2.625" of lift and the inner fin is just barely touching the other fin. With the manual hub swap, I went with CV unlimited cv's (the deefed up ones that they no longer make) and thier high angle boots.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now when I think about it what has happened is what mojavegold said because there is grease around where the boot is clamped to the axle so I am sure that the boot has slid up on the axle causing the inner fins to make contact. So now it is just a matter of deciding how much money I want to spend to fix the problem. I will probably just change out the shafts when these split first and if I still have problems then look into the manual hub conversion.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I did the mod because changing out the boots is a bit involved and I don't have the time right now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i did some searching but couldent find anything.. heres my questions...

whats the max angle ( in degrees) you guys would suggerst having the cvs at. people say dont lift higher the 2-2.5inch..but my suspension was shot when i up graded so i have no clue what "stock hight" truley is.

im going to stick a angle finder on my cv tomorrow and see where its at

1 - 9 of 9 Posts