TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I have a 2001 3.4L v6 4wd quad cab. I installed a 6" fabtech suspension lift. In this lift was a 6" lift with a 4" drop. So, here my CV axle angles are pretty good. I want a bit more lift and some 37's. So i did some research and decided on a body lift instead of a spacer, because the body will leave the CV's alone and not make the angles any worse.

Right now, i am running 35's with the 6". Next week the 3" body is going on and the 37" MTR's are going under. Now...this is an everyday driver, but is taken offroad! I plan on running this set of tires (37's) and taking off the body lift and putting some 35's back on. I just want to go big and have some fun with the 37's and then go back to the 35's with a 6". With the plan that in the long term, i will go back to the 35's what do you think will happen to the CV axles a while from now? After the 37's and the body lift are off and the 35's are on, a year from then, will the axles be gettin bad? Should i start saving up for some upgraded CV axles?

thanks,

brad

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If you don't wheel it, aren't lifting the suspension anymore, and are only adding bigger tires, the CVs shouldn't see any difference, but...

Why?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
Ok, I have a 2001 3.4L v6 4wd quad cab. I installed a 6" fabtech suspension lift. In this lift was a 6" lift with a 4" drop. So, here my CV axle angles are pretty good. I want a bit more lift and some 37's. So i did some research and decided on a body lift instead of a spacer, because the body will leave the CV's alone and not make the angles any worse.

Right now, i am running 35's with the 6". Next week the 3" body is going on and the 37" MTR's are going under. Now...this is an everyday driver, but is taken offroad! I plan on running this set of tires (37's) and taking off the body lift and putting some 35's back on. I just want to go big and have some fun with the 37's and then go back to the 35's with a 6". With the plan that in the long term, i will go back to the 35's what do you think will happen to the CV axles a while from now? After the 37's and the body lift are off and the 35's are on, a year from then, will the axles be gettin bad? Should i start saving up for some upgraded CV axles?

thanks,

brad
first off, you are already over the suggested limitations of the IFS with 35" tires so going bigger will just make things worse. I mainly say this because say this is your DD. Adding a BL will only make your center of gravity higher and your rig more dangerous to drive. The BL won't change your CV angles, just make the truck tippier. Your steering rack will die quickly enough with those 35s and your front wheel bearing won't be far behind.
Now, do guys run the big meats with IFS? sure, but they know about the problems that will come up. ;) If you are prepared to replace a lot of parts on a fairly regular basis and do a lot of sheet metal cutting (you'll need to tub your firewall) then go for it.

If you want 37s you need to start saving up for a SAS.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
hytenor said:
If you want 37s you need to start saving up for a SAS.
Dude, all the cool trucks have 39's. 37's are SOOOOO 2004...... :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Dude, all the cool trucks have 39's. 37's are SOOOOO 2004...... :rolleyes:
I thought those were last year's fad :confused: :confused:
all the cool kids are going with 40s and 20" rims ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ha Im going 24s and 40s on my SAS. 5K for the Hybrid 60, and 4K 24s and $2.50 for the gold paint, lol :welder:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Hagan34 said:
Ha Im going 24s and 40s on my SAS. 5K for the Hybrid 60, and 4K 24s and $2.50 for the gold paint, lol :welder:
cheap price for the 60...where from?

·
Registered
680 Posts
AK98Taco said:

Let me get this stright your want to put a 3" BL on to run 37's for a year. Then take it out and put the 35's back on?

am i missing something? what is the reason?

·
Registered
680 Posts
hytenor said:
cheap price for the 60...where from?
That AP price on there web site. Im not going that route just wanted to fit in.

Still planing on the AP 4 link and Waggy 44. on 35x15s :rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
will 37's not fit with that much lift? i have seen 4runners with 3" suspension fit 35's... i cant remember his site, but there wasnt that much cutting really.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
KyleT said:
will 37's not fit with that much lift? i have seen 4runners with 3" suspension fit 35's... i cant remember his site, but there wasnt that much cutting really.
not w/o a lot of trimming. a newer runner with 3" and 35s? yes, but again, not w/o a lot of body work. the the runner you might be thinking of is with Trails less Traveled ;) I've wheeled with him...they did fairly extensive work to make those tires fit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This sounds exactly like some kid that found me on myspace. I got rid of him for asking so many stupid questions just like this without listening to any advice. If he already has the 6" Fagtech lift and 35's, then he's rubbing off-road. Lifting another 3" to fit 37" tires will seriously make him top heavy which is what I told him from my personal experiences with the exact same setup but on 35's. I no longer have the BL and am preparing now to SAS to remove the Fagtech drop bracket lift. If this is the same guy then there's no reasoning with him and it'll be pointless to talk some sense into him but good luck trying.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Look, I had the fabtech 6" and a 3" BL. To tippy. You will clear 37's though. Installing a BL with the plans of removing it is moronic. The answers to your questions are that simple. If you are who little red is referring to, take his and my advice on this.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just to have some fun with the huge tires

·
Registered
148 Posts
hytenor said:
not w/o a lot of trimming. a newer runner with 3" and 35s? yes, but again, not w/o a lot of body work. the the runner you might be thinking of is with Trails less Traveled ;) I've wheeled with him...they did fairly extensive work to make those tires fit.
i would guess a taco would be easier, only need to trim the front. the bed unbolts pretty easy for the back.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
scott6261
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing