TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.. long time lurker... I searched and really didnt find anything similiar to what im going through. My driver side inner boot was leaking grease and had a hole in it, so i decided to replace it. I have ordered the parts from 3 different stores and all of them send me a boot that doesnt fit. Its not a perfect circle like the old one was. It has 3 grooves in it that is not allowing the boot to seal. Has anyone dealt with anything like this or am i just not doing something right? Im pretty sure putting the bands on it wouldnt help anything. Thanks~

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
LilTacoma said:
First post.. long time lurker... I searched and really didnt find anything similiar to what im going through. My driver side inner boot was leaking grease and had a hole in it, so i decided to replace it. I have ordered the parts from 3 different stores and all of them send me a boot that doesnt fit. Its not a perfect circle like the old one was. It has 3 grooves in it that is not allowing the boot to seal. Has anyone dealt with anything like this or am i just not doing something right? Im pretty sure putting the bands on it wouldnt help anything. Thanks~
pics?

here's the Downey kit:
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/Picture_501.jpg
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/Picture_502.jpg

depending on where the hole is you can clean the thing with acetone and then use duct tape or 'shoe goo' for a fairly long-term "fix"

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Problems like these are why I just replace the whole assembly...
yup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what it looks like in the pic you just posted. Sorry no pics. I have replaced 3 CV's in the past year or so and its getting a little expensive. The shaft that goes into the differential is a perfect circle and has no grooves in it. I have been looking at some pics in write ups and mine is different. Guess i got a messed up part or something.

·
Registered
518 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Problems like these are why I just replace the whole assembly...
x3
I just went to O'Rileys and picked up one of their cv shafts with a life time warranty- Now Ive only had to buy 1 and have replaced both sides at least twice- Its easier to replace the whole half shaft then a boot :2cents:

·
Registered
764 Posts
LilTacoma said:
Thats what it looks like in the pic you just posted. Sorry no pics. I have replaced 3 CV's in the past year or so and its getting a little expensive. The shaft that goes into the differential is a perfect circle and has no grooves in it. I have been looking at some pics in write ups and mine is different. Guess i got a messed up part or something.
i got my spare at autozone and that's how my inner "joint housing" looks. it's not a big deal i dont think. just no good spots to hammer on it when putting it back in :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I figured this was as good a spot as any to ask if CV's from a '97 (Deermeat's CV's that he's selling) will fit an '02? Anyone know?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
LilTacoma said:
I have replaced 3 CV's in the past year or so and its getting a little expensive.
Get the lifetime warranty ones from Advance, Autozone, ... make it expensive for them, not you!

Although at that kind of failure rate, I have to wonder what you're doing to them...

·
Registered
764 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Although at that kind of failure rate, I have to wonder what you're doing to them...
haha. ive got him beat. i think ive replaced 2 on trail and 2 off trail now since Feb 06. these buggers just dont seem to like my truck. needless to say autozone is taking a big hit on replacing my junk alone. heck, i probably make up for the people who never break their warrantied CVs :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
DirtTaco said:
I figured this was as good a spot as any to ask if CV's from a '97 (Deermeat's CV's that he's selling) will fit an '02? Anyone know?
the axles will fit '95.5-04. The only difference is in ADD or manual hub, those are NOT interchangeble.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Chris,

Are those the high angle boots? I am getting a pair of ADD CV's that I am going to rebuild with high angle boots. Would you recomend them? Did they alleviate the problem?

·
Registered
401 Posts
hytenor said:
the axles will fit '95.5-04. The only difference is in ADD or manual hub, those are NOT interchangeble.

Tell me if im wrong, but you can buy a kit to make ADD a manual hub

Though why you would want to is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
LilTacoma said:
What year taco is this??? My '01 has the 3 grooves for the inner boot to match the tulip assembly off the diff. It is supposed to be like that. The 95.5-04 are all the same.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
stucktaco said:

So you don't wear the CV's out driving around town. (With the manual hubs unlocked, the CV's don't turn in 2WD)

Oh - and those kits aren't cheap.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Doesn't Toyota keep progressivly making their front suspension more difficult and expensive to modify and maintain!!!! I need to sell my Donahoe's and just do my SAS asap!!
:saw: :welder: :)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
stucktaco said:

yes, there is a $1000+ kit available
or you can just pick up everything from a wrecking yard for about half or less.

why? as explained...the CVs don't turn while in 2wd as they do with ADD.
...you can run a taller lift w/o killing your inner boots so fast.
...you an run a full-time locker and not worry about the entire front drivetrain turning while in 2wd (it does with ADD)
...you can unlock one hub with the front locked and be able to turn while wheeling on a high traction surface in 4wd (ARBs are much better, however)
Ever wonder why the vast majority of wheeling rigs have manual hubs? ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts