TTORA Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
hytenor said:
CVU sells OE replacement rebuilds (not the Neufields) as well and for about the same price that everyone else does...but...you get them with the hi-angle boots on request ;) there was a pretty long thread about this a couple months back.
Is there a core charge? Are they any stronger?

Link to the thread? I can't seem to find it.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
hytenor said:
mine did on Dusy in '04....but only because I kept going :rolleyes: it banged around quite a bit under there (kept it in 4lo trying to get up the hill with the winch). The outer joint was pretty much disintigrated, ei, nothing left but the casing by the time I got to the top. The point is, with ADD if you really blow one and then try to drive home you run the very real chance of that sucker coming appart on the hwy...not good. with manual hubs you unlock the hub and go home ;)

both of the CVs that we replaced on Sunday at TO had exploded the outer shaft ends inside the hub...taking out parts of the hub in the process. We were able to piece things together enough to get them back to Tx but both hubs either had to be replaced or had several internal parts replaced.
Okay so your short answer to my (rhetorical) question is no, they don't catastrophically fail like a grenade. :rolleyes:

My whole probelm is that people settle for weaker CVs and a more complicated hub so when they Break they don't have to change them?

Dissect that statement and find any logic in it.

It has to be changed sometime, so why not run the simpler, stronger shaft that is less likely to fail in the first place and carry a spare and know how to change it!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Those things are expensive without a core charge. That ruins my plan. I still want to keep mine as spares...

Valkyrie, do you know if Toyota sells a rebuild kit and what is included. I'm getting really bad vibes form the front end when I'm only in 4wd, going above 40mph, and I'm acellerating. Pulled the driveshaft and everyhting was cherry, my next culprit are the cv's.

If the price for a rebuild kit for the cv's (and it incudes things like the bearings and such) is right, I'll probably just buy that and get the boots from ORE or George. I'm getting a pair of cv's that are used for about 50 bucks, so I'll rebuild those and throw those in there...

-Phill

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
just fyi, i was going to do the same thing as you and rebuild some used cv's that i was going to buy for 50 bucks each. call napa, you can get a new cv for 119 bucks, no core and keep your old ones as a spare. i figure that the used cv is 50, rebuild and some boots, probably close to another 50 and then your time and effort... just buy new ones.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Texan1983 said:
just fyi, i was going to do the same thing as you and rebuild some used cv's that i was going to buy for 50 bucks each. call napa, you can get a new cv for 119 bucks, no core and keep your old ones as a spare. i figure that the used cv is 50, rebuild and some boots, probably close to another 50 and then your time and effort... just buy new ones.
no core?? I'd love to see that comfirmed ;) that's news to me and the Napas around here. All the parts houses here take the cores or charge you $100 for them. The average price right now is just over $100 for a rebullt +core.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Those things are expensive without a core charge. That ruins my plan. I still want to keep mine as spares...

Valkyrie, do you know if Toyota sells a rebuild kit and what is included. I'm getting really bad vibes form the front end when I'm only in 4wd, going above 40mph, and I'm acellerating. Pulled the driveshaft and everyhting was cherry, my next culprit are the cv's.

If the price for a rebuild "kit" for the cv's (and it incudes things like the bearings and such) is right, I'll probably just buy that and get the boots from ORE or George. I'm getting a pair of cv's that are used for about 50 bucks, so I'll rebuild those and throw those in there...

-Phill
you could probably get a rebuild kit from CVU for a lot less.
what is usually done is the outers are replaced along with the boots, clamps and dust shields. The tripod is retained unless it is damaged (rare). there are no bearings other than the needle bearing in the tripod.

I'm also guessing that since the FSMs don't have anything about rebuilding the axle, expecially the outer joint, I doubt there is any 'kit' available from Toyota ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
valkyrie said:
My whole probelm is that people settle for weaker CVs and a more complicated hub so when they Break they don't have to change them?

Dissect that statement and find any logic in it.

It has to be changed sometime, so why not run the simpler, stronger shaft that is less likely to fail in the first place and carry a spare and know how to change it!
If that were the only criteria I might agree that ADD is better but it ain't ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well i picked one up today. and i was wrong, it was 116+5 dollar core. the guy just lumped it in. but o'riely's does the same thing, their's is even a few bucks cheaper, i still went with napa, just had better luck with their parts in general. also the funny thing was napa sells a rebuilt for 80+100 dollar core or the new one for 116+5 dollar core. it was weird but works for me. this way if i break a cv on the trail i can switch out just once with a good unit and not have to worry about tearing it apart later to put a new part in.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I don't like rebuilds. I'd rather spend the time and do it myself if it comes out the same. At least I know where it's been and I know that the splines and threads are going to work. All too many times I have problems with rebuild regarding threads.

Looks Like I'll call CVU regarding a kit. So the Tripod remains but the needle bearings withing the tripod are replaced? The whole outer joint is replaced? So I'm assuming if I get a kit from CVU, they're going to give me that reman. outer joint?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NorcalPR said:
I don't like rebuilds. I'd rather spend the time and do it myself if it comes out the same. At least I know where it's been and I know that the splines and threads are going to work. All too many times I have problems with rebuild regarding threads.

Looks Like I'll call CVU regarding a kit. So the Tripod remains but the needle bearings withing the tripod are replaced? The whole outer joint is replaced? So I'm assuming if I get a kit from CVU, they're going to give me that reman. outer joint?
no, the entire tripod is retained unless there is some sort of damage to any of it. they are around $250ea from the dealer :eek: so you don't want to have to swap one out. I think George gets them for much cheaper though or will sell you a used one if needed. And, don't take that sucker appart unless you have to! LOL each end has 40 needle bearing in it and they are easy to lose ;)

the outer joints should be brand new.
just call and ask for George; he's cool to talk to and will tell you the whole scoop ;)

I have no problem with remans, frankly, cuz they will have brand new outers and boots. The shafts and inners are most always reused.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Texan1983 said:
well i picked one up today. and i was wrong, it was 116+5 dollar core. the guy just lumped it in. but o'riely's does the same thing, their's is even a few bucks cheaper, i still went with napa, just had better luck with their parts in general. also the funny thing was napa sells a rebuilt for 80+100 dollar core or the new one for 116+5 dollar core. it was weird but works for me. this way if i break a cv on the trail i can switch out just once with a good unit and not have to worry about tearing it appart later to put a new part in.
hmm, I have my doubts that those "new" axles are really brand new. I'll bet they are still just remans but maybe cleaned up a little better.

your prices there are sure a lot better than out here, LOL I think Peetie paid over $120 + core for his spare and the core charge was $100 if you didn't have one.

you could almost start a business selling axles to Cali, LOL. even with freight they would be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well in that case...

Reman cv's for sale 130 shipped to your door, no core!

anyways, if anyone needs them and really can't find that price, let me know i have no problem shipping them out to people. i can't believe that there would be that big of a price difference. for the same chain store.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
hytenor said:
uh, did you remove the 'C' ring clamp? ;) there is one on each side of the tulip joint.

Yes.......I think I had everything apart like it was suppose to be......i have put new cv boots on other vehicles but never on my tacoma......i most likely was doing something wrong but If i was I don't know what.

On a different note......has anyone here had a problem with cheaper cv's (like from advance auto or autozone) binding at full droop?? I have been told by one member on here that he did as well as a couple people from other forums but I wondered how common this was.I replaced mine with one directly from toyota and both my spares are factory toyota shafts........but I am still wonder about the lesser priced ones.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
Yes.......I think I had everything apart like it was suppose to be......i have put new cv boots on other vehicles but never on my tacoma......i most likely was doing something wrong but If i was I don't know what.

On a different note......has anyone here had a problem with cheaper cv's (like from advance auto or autozone) binding at full droop?? I have been told by one member on here that he did as well as a couple people from other forums but I wondered how common this was.I replaced mine with one directly from toyota and both my spares are factory toyota shafts........but I am still wonder about the lesser priced ones.
hmm, haven't heard of aftermarket axle problems like that...might be a good thread topic ;)

on the tulip, mine was just floating between the two C clamps and slid off easily with a few taps of the brass brace and hammer. you do have to tap the joint back down the shaft until it mates right up to the inner C clamp so you can access the outer clamp for removal. and...pay attention how the joint goes..there is a bevel on one side.

·
Registered
388 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Now, on the older trucks (preTaco, 1st/2nd gen 4Runners), this is absolutely true since the front is full floating - don't even have to have a CV installed at all! (I've always wondered why Toyota went to semi-float front...)
Could you elaborate on this a little more. Sounds intersting

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is all pretty funny $hit. Can we agree to just change out our whole axle (inner & outer) assenblies? This has been covered so much and I'm tired. Did anyone post to search? WTF!
Jeeees, I think I'm becoming the new 'DICK'!
Hytenor, are you going weak in the knees because someone posted that you are 'GOD' on this board?
Get that damn Diamond axle under your truck and don't worry about this petty $hit! OK, maybe I'll have a few questions for you soon! :D :D :D

I do agree with the other post that you have provided tons of info about our trucks. I just love to give you hell! :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
bray said:
This is all pretty funny $hit. Can we agree to just change out our whole axle (inner & outer) assenblies? This has been covered so much and I'm tired. Did anyone post to search? WTF!
Jeeees, I think I'm becoming the new 'DICK'!
Hytenor, are you going weak in the knees because someone posted that you are 'GOD' on this board?
Get that damn Diamond axle under your truck and don't worry about this petty $hit! OK, maybe I'll have a few questions for you soon! :D :D :D

I do agree with the other post that you have provided tons of info about our trucks. I just love to give you hell! :D
hell, even I've suggested that just swapping the entire axle is the easiest and most cost-effective way to go :p
find a busted CV for dirt cheap; use it for a core and get a reman from your locak parts house for something around $100 +/-. put it on the truck....break it and get a new one...free. ;)

and no...no worries about being mistaken for a god, LOL
If they only knew, LOL

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
hytenor said:
hell, even I've suggested that just swapping the entire axle is the easiest and most cost-effective way to go :p
find a busted CV for dirt cheap; use it for a core and get a reman from your locak parts house for something around $100 +/-. put it on the truck....break it and get a new one...free. ;)

and no...no worries about being mistaken for a god, LOL
If they only knew, LOL
But you are! :D
Do you have the axle in yet? You are looking a whole lot like me now. Just too many projects ahead LOL!
When I posted my 4-Crawler 1 inch lift a few months ago on another forum saying it took me 6 hours, I had one post asking me if I had arthritis and I said YES, because I do! I just wish I were closer to give you a hand. I'm sure I'd learn a ton!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts