TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Treatment of the snow here in upstate NY has left a lot of salt on the road, and unfortunately, all over the truck. I was giving the Toyota a bath today, when I noticed some crud on my CV boot. Actually, it was all over the place on the passenger side. I've got OME 882's w/ Diff Drop, so that could have a lot to do with it. Or, maybe it was normal wear and tear, seeing as how the truck has 64k miles on it. Or maybe its just oil from something else.

Question 1:What does grease spillage from CV's look like? I didn't notice any tears in the inner or outer boots, just crud everywhere. This stuff is pretty black, and pretty thick, like tar or something.

Question 2: If I'm going in to change the boot, should I just go ahead and change the entire joint?

Question 3: Who is the best vendor to order these parts from? Is there a better-than-stock part I can order?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
welcome to ADD world

1. grease spillage will look like a shitstorm flew off the axel.clean it off and the tear wil be obvious.

2.the axel will have to come out to change the boot.so if you think its (axel)bad,change it now.

3.boot only.i just get them anywhere.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Clean the entire area really good so you can take notice to any tears/rips in the boot (or other problems).

If you find a tear in the boot - here's write-up. You'll want to change the boot as soon as you can before dirt gets inside and could ruin the joint. Inspect the joint while you're inside there - most likely its fine.
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Toyota/cvboot/CVBoot_replacement.htm

Just a quick question.... Is the black tar looking material on your strut?? Do you have OME struts??

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
TRDyota said:
Treatment of the snow here in upstate NY has left a lot of salt on the road, and unfortunately, all over the truck. I was giving the Toyota a bath today, when I noticed some crud on my CV boot. Actually, it was all over the place on the passenger side. I've got OME 882's w/ Diff Drop, so that could have a lot to do with it. Or, maybe it was normal wear and tear, seeing as how the truck has 64k miles on it. Or maybe its just oil from something else.

Question 1:What does grease spillage from CV's look like? I didn't notice any tears in the inner or outer boots, just crud everywhere. This stuff is pretty black, and pretty thick, like tar or something.

Question 2: If I'm going in to change the boot, should I just go ahead and change the entire joint?

Question 3: Who is the best vendor to order these parts from? Is there a better-than-stock part I can order?

Thanks,
Brandon
I had a tear in my CV. There was black grease everywhere. Had a shop replace it for me and there was a pin hole in it. Guess it got punctured from something. Anyway, the joint was fine, still plenty of grease inside (although you won't have guessed it from the way the outside looked), and no dirt inside. The centrifugal force from spinning at 600rpm will send even the thickest grease spouting through a pinhole onto everything. No to mention the 70mph breeze once its outside the boot. Anyway it was the inner boot so the 4wd had to be removed. Are your CV angles changed from the lift? If so, you're tear could be from that and my be more easily seen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tufemup said:
Are your CV angles changed from the lift?
LIfting is probably the reason of the tear. Its a risk you take when you mess with IFS lifts. But its ok, this gives me a reason to work on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Supposedly Downey and AllPro carry high angle CV boots....

I have to get mine replaced also....Looks like mine broke all along the inside edge of the boot clamps... :(

Where you at in Upstate?

Yeah, NY winters SUCK!...I'm southwest of Rochester...
I cried the other day when I took my 99 to wash underneath....Spent about 20 mins spraying and must have power washed off about 5 lbs of rust flake... :(
I cry ever time I have to get under the Taco..... :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Schenectady. This snow sucks. Especially cause I am a Texas man. I'm on loan here for a few months cause I am working for GE for a semester. I really miss wheeling a lot, but playing around in snow ain't bad either. It's just too freakin cold to mess with a torn CV boot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is a busted boot, looks like the inner.........the most difficult to replace, you will have to take the axle out. If it was the outer, you can replace boot without removing axle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think I should do it myself, or do you think I should just pay a shop to do it? Seems like a lot of liability that I don't want on myself...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whats the best high angle in and outer boot for the 4wd taco. I used a porsche 930 bates boot for my tundras inner. Whats the replacement for the taco?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can do it yourself, but you will need a special pliers for crimping the clamp unless its those shitty wind up kind, which if its them I wouldnt use them. Here is a picture of the pliers, I think you can rent them at Autozone. I own my own pair so I am not sure about renting.

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/cvbootclampl.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
TRDyota said:
I'm in Schenectady. This snow sucks. Especially cause I am a Texas man. I'm on loan here for a few months cause I am working for GE for a semester. I really miss wheeling a lot, but playing around in snow ain't bad either. It's just too freakin cold to mess with a torn CV boot.
I'm over SW of Rochester & SE of Buffalo....Be glad your not closer to either of the Lakes, or you would REALLY see snow... :)

You might want to check out the Yankee Toys....They're a Toyota club pretty much with most members based in Conn, MA & NH....There are a couple members in your area tho, and they do a lot of their runs in western Mass, just over the border with NY....

www.yankeetoys.org

And YES, it is too cold to be messing with CV boots....I have to do mine, both sides... :( They went at about 70K....

Does your sway bar move around at all?...I probably should have just disconnected mine when I put in the front spacers, but I'd probably have issues getting it to pass inspection disconnected... :p

And I agree...That definately looks like the inner...
My outers are bad, and my grease got slung further out on the A arms and spindle...

Oh yeah, Brandon, make sure you wash UNDER your truck about once a week or two to get the salt off....even one NY winter can get the "cancer" started... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts