TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I officially put my curiosity to rest on the topic of front-end lift and CV joints on an IFS truck. About 2 weeks ago while changing my oil I noticed an absurd amount of grease all over the drivers side undercarriage. Upon further inspection I found the inner CV boot totally ripped off the joint of course spilling all the grease. I checked the other side and noticed the inner boot of the passenger side beginning to spit grease from the boot clamp as well. Not good :(

I am running a 2001 Taco with a Fabtech Coil-over system bumped to just under 3 inches. My question is this... Besides going to a SAS (not an option at this point) what is my best course of action. I have heard decent things about CVunlimited rebuilding my existing axels and fitting them with hi-lift CV boots but I'm not sure I can be without my truck for the 2 or so weeks they will have them. Are there any other options? My father-in-law suggested longer axels to take the strain off the 3 inch lift but that will probably take an expensive kit with longer A-arms, upper control, etc right?

An opinion is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
gnostic203 said:
Ok well I officially put my curiosity to rest on the topic of front-end lift and CV joints on an IFS truck. About 2 weeks ago while changing my oil I noticed an absurd amount of grease all over the drivers side undercarriage. Upon further inspection I found the inner CV boot totally ripped off the joint of course spilling all the grease. I checked the other side and noticed the inner boot of the passenger side beginning to spit grease from the boot clamp as well. Not good :(

I am running a 2001 Taco with a Fabtech Coil-over system bumped to just under 3 inches. My question is this... Besides going to a SAS (not an option at this point) what is my best course of action. I have heard decent things about CVunlimited rebuilding my existing axels and fitting them with hi-lift CV boots but I'm not sure I can be without my truck for the 2 or so weeks they will have them. Are there any other options? My father-in-law suggested longer axels to take the strain off the 3 inch lift but that will probably take an expensive kit with longer A-arms, upper control, etc right?

That's just woes. I been thru hell with them. I finally decided to put manual hubs on the sucker.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
I doubt your actualy CV is done, and you probably just have torn boots. Boots can be replaced; I believe Downey sells high angle boots, and suposidly the boots off the 04s are high angle as well. So there is two options that will not cost mega bucks.

CV unlimited, sure, they still break, not worth it. And you're right about a longer CV, too much money unless you are after the long travel setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah luckilly the joints were fine, just got new boots on one side and was wheelin'. However the other side is now spitting so it's probably only a matter of time before they rip.

So high angle boots are one option, if I decide to go with manual hubs where is a good place to start?

Thanks for the info guys its appreciated.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
[

An opinion is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Just get a couple of hi-angle boot kits from Chris/Barb in Dallas (the '04 Taco comes with them and they are available for much less than CVU or Downey's kits. Downey's are around $45/axle; CVU's are $50/axle; I think the '04s are around $35/axle. All kits come with 2 boots, grease and clamps.

Since you are under 3" this should take care of your grief ;)

I have the CVU axles and have blown one (outer) so far and hyper-extended the inner on the other. $500, you send them your axles; $750, they send you a set and you keep your old ones as spares. Either way they are just rebuilt OE axle assemblies with beefier Neufield outer joints and silver paint. They carry a lifetime warranty but for that price I should hope so, LOL

custom length axles are in the $3-5k/pr range but they are available. Add the cost of a long travel kit to that as well since new upper and lower A-arms are required.

Porche 930 turbo axles adapted for the Taco are out there for around $1500

check here for more detailed info:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/tacoma/intro.html

Jesse is a great guy and will do a great job of answering your questions. ;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just an FYi custom axles are only 1k.... and that wont fix his problem. he just needs to lower his junk down some more, what ppl think is 3" is more.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Just an FYi custom axles are only 1k.... and that wont fix his problem. he just needs to lower his junk down some more, what ppl think is 3" is more.
each or pr? Jesse was talking about some customs ones for something over a grand/pr but I couldn't remember the exact price...the 930s?

telling these guys to lower their lift is a waste of time; you should know that by now ;) that reminds me, I need to crank mine down a tad...

how's the new motor?

how long do you thing a LT would last for Dale? LOL

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
hytenor said:
each or pr? Jesse was talking about some customs ones for something over a grand/pr but I couldn't remember the exact price...the 930s?

telling these guys to lower their lift is a waste of time; you should know that by now ;) that reminds me, I need to crank mine down a tad...

how's the new motor?

how long do you thing a LT would last for Dale? LOL
pair, we were going ot have a set made by sommer brothers for a truck that we built, they quoted a grand for both of them, not using 930's though, only tundra outer/inner... which are strong enough, 930's arent that expensive, its the adapter plates that are. besides that wont fix the fact that hes just lifted his truck too high and doesnt want to lower it down..

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
DesertTRD said:
besides that wont fix the fact that hes just lifted his truck too high and doesnt want to lower it down..

details, details...

but if I lower mine I'll hit the skid plates more often!

O yea...that's what they're for...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thanks guys.

BTW I am going to re-measure what seemed to be 3" and maybe ease it down a mm or two.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
gnostic203 said:
Awesome thanks guys.

BTW I am going to re-measure what seemed to be 3" and maybe ease it down a mm or two.

what size tires and rims are you running?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm confused...

hytenor said:

Just get a couple of hi-angle boot kits from Chris/Barb in Dallas (the '04 Taco comes with them and they are available for much less than CVU or Downey's kits. Downey's are around $45/axle; CVU's are $50/axle; I think the '04s are around $35/axle. All kits come with 2 boots, grease and clamps.

Since you are under 3" this should take care of your grief ;)

I have the CVU axles and have blown one (outer) so far and hyper-extended the inner on the other. $500, you send them your axles; $750, they send you a set and you keep your old ones as spares. Either way they are just rebuilt OE axle assemblies with beefier Neufield outer joints and silver paint. They carry a lifetime warranty but for that price I should hope so, LOL

custom length axles are in the $3-5k/pr range but they are available. Add the cost of a long travel kit to that as well since new upper and lower A-arms are required.

Porche 930 turbo axles adapted for the Taco are out there for around $1500

check here for more detailed info:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/tacoma/intro.html

Jesse is a great guy and will do a great job of answering your questions. ;)
I checked with my friend who works in the parts department at my local toyota dealership, and it appears that the 04's use the same CV boot as the earlier tacomas. At least he said the part number for my 99 was the same as the 04. :confused:

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Bnorm said:
I checked with my friend who works in the parts department at my local toyota dealership, and it appears that the 04's use the same CV boot as the earlier tacomas. At least he said the part number for my 99 was the same as the 04. :confused:
I just emailed Chris at trdparts4u to get the full scoop.
we'll see what happens.

it is possible that Toyota has finally gone to the new style boots as replacements for all models...lets hope.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hytenor said:
I just emailed Chris at trdparts4u to get the full scoop.
we'll see what happens.

it is possible that Toyota has finally gone to the new style boots as replacements for all models...lets hope.
Would I be OK driving my truck with a torn CV boot for a week or so until I can get it replaced, or at least hear back on the 04 boot situation? My taco is my daily driver so I can't really go without it.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Bnorm said:
2004 boots:
P/N 04438-04021- TTORA price $22.11 per side

P/N 04438-04011- TTORA price $13.78 per side

Same part number all along. I posted on that thread last month (http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=121505.8) the part numbers & price in response to Dillon's post #6. I looked up 2004 & that's what came up. I guess Chris (Hytenor) had heard that the 04's were different, and knowing him I had no reason to doubt him. I posted the part number for the 04's without going back to re-check against the 03's & earlier.

So if anyone wants someone to blame for the confusion I'll take the heat. I should have checked them against old numbers, but like I said I had no reason to doubt Chris- he knows more about Tacomas than most anyone here.

I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding I contributed to.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
valkyrie said:
2004 boots:

Same part number all along. I posted on that thread last month (http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=121505.8) the part numbers & price in response to Dillon's post #6. I looked up 2004 & that's what came up. I guess Chris (Hytenor) had heard that the 04's were different, and knowing him I had no reason to doubt him. I posted the part number for the 04's without going back to re-check against the 03's & earlier.

So if anyone wants someone to blame for the confusion I'll take the heat. I should have checked them against old numbers, but like I said I had no reason to doubt Chris- he knows more about Tacomas than most anyone here.

"he knows more about Tacomas than most anyone here."
:rofl:

I wish ;)

Another member mentioned to me that the '04 boots looked different than what he had on his earlier truck so I went down to the dealer and checked a new 4x4...they, in fact, looked different than what I had on my OE axles ('00) with the first two fins being farther appart than mine were and looking very much like Downey's new boots.
Maybe I was seeing things and just hoping that Toyota had finally figured it out :(

If you have any of the boots in your pts dept, can you take a look and compare them? I'm really starting to wonder now. Is it possible that Toyota has changed the boot design but left the old pt #?

Don't take the blame for my lousy eyesight, LOL

If all else fails we still know that Downey and CVU make them ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Bnorm said:
Would I be OK driving my truck with a torn CV boot for a week or so until I can get it replaced, or at least hear back on the 04 boot situation? My taco is my daily driver so I can't really go without it.
plenty of members have done that with no ill effects, including me. Just try to stay out of the mud ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Running 32 inch tires on 16" wheels.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
gnostic203 said:
Running 32 inch tires on 16" wheels.
crank your coilovers down to about 2", you shouldn't need 3" for 32s

·
Registered
116 Posts
valkyrie said:
2004 boots:

No prob man! No harm no foul. :) If hytenor is right, and Toyota changed the design, but kept the old part number, its all the better! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts