TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im bringing this over from the other forum.

Looking for years of Waggy auto hubs. Looking for stock drive flanges, not slugs, flanges. Yes im aware they will be turning all the time, thats the purpose. Any D44 know-it-alls? :xdevil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Zzyzx said:
What's the difference between slugs and flanges? The axle I got had auto hubs but it had slugs (I think).
he is talking about a drive flange, i guess some people call them a slug, essentially you dont have to worry about breaking a damn lockout hub with them in, i will not run a lockout in my truck, they are why my detroit broke 2 times within 2 freaking days. the detroit rep who gives me replacement detroits for free told me never run a lockout with a detroit or he would stop replacing stuff for free, actually i dont even have to pay shipping and handling :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Ya, I know what slugs are (at least that's what I call em). I have a couple in my toolbox for spares. It just seemed like Lyle was alluding to some kind of difference between "slugs" and "drive flanges."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Then I would quit running a detroit locker like I did. I have gone through three of them. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an ARB. The Detroits dont like the recoil when soemthing breaks, whether it be a lockout, a ujoint, or the axle itself. I have never broke a lockout, but I have busted Ujoints and axle shafts... and every single time the detroit broke too. The detroit for the Dana 44 is a piece of shit! People claim that the Lockrite is weak... I think is a better choice for the front of a Dana 44 than the Detroit. Several people here in AZ have run the lockrite and have broken shafts and ujoints without any effect on the lockrite. Yet I went through 3 Detroits! And Im not the only one.... I get people sending me emails all the time who have read my write up and telling me they have had the same thing happen to them.

DETROITS SUCK! And not once did they stand behind their product!

Go with a Lockrite if your trying to save money, or move right on to ARB.

Yogi

zszac111 said:
he is talking about a drive flange, i guess some people call them a slug, essentially you dont have to worry about breaking a damn lockout hub with them in, i will not run a lockout in my truck, they are why my detroit broke 2 times within 2 freaking days. the detroit rep who gives me replacement detroits for free told me never run a lockout with a detroit or he would stop replacing stuff for free, actually i dont even have to pay shipping and handling :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Out of all the breakage that I have had. Ive never once had a lockout hub break on me. I too keep spare slugs just incase, but I have never had a problem with Warn hubs, nor have I seen any break. Ive seen plenty of Ujoints and axles break before the lockout does!

Yogi


Zzyzx said:
Ya, I know what slugs are (at least that's what I call em). I have a couple in my toolbox for spares. It just seemed like Lyle was alluding to some kind of difference between "slugs" and "drive flanges."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Yeah i wish i wouldnt have went with a detroit, money isnt an issue so i think ill go with an arb if this detroit blows up.unless i find a hp60 then ill go with 42's. ive went through countless warn premiem hubs (shot the lockout part 15-20 feet from the truck the last time one broke). when the locker breaks it has always broke in the "locked" position which i guess was good, the detroit rep just sends me replacments at no charge so i havent totally gave up on them "yet" :rolleyes: ive never broke a shaft or joint but i run CTM's and Moser Max shafts. I havent had any problems the past 4 rides with the drive flanges in though :D knock on wood.....

zac


yogiaz said:
Then I would quit running a detroit locker like I did. I have gone through three of them. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an ARB. The Detroits dont like the recoil when soemthing breaks, whether it be a lockout, a ujoint, or the axle itself. I have never broke a lockout, but I have busted Ujoints and axle shafts... and every single time the detroit broke too. The detroit for the Dana 44 is a piece of shit! People claim that the Lockrite is weak... I think is a better choice for the front of a Dana 44 than the Detroit. Several people here in AZ have run the lockrite and have broken shafts and ujoints without any effect on the lockrite. Yet I went through 3 Detroits! And Im not the only one.... I get people sending me emails all the time who have read my write up and telling me they have had the same thing happen to them.

DETROITS SUCK! And not once did they stand behind their product!

Go with a Lockrite if your trying to save money, or move right on to ARB.

Yogi
 

·
Dean
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
hey zac

check the ends of your shafts at the splined end and look for twisting of the splines...let me know what you find, if its perfect or not.... i am curious to see those and to see if they are getting distorted at all

thanks
so when you get the 8.4 you going with the ARB or a Lockrite? then what up front? FIRST get to getting on a damn .......you know what!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zzyzx said:
Ya, I know what slugs are (at least that's what I call em). I have a couple in my toolbox for spares. It just seemed like Lyle was alluding to some kind of difference between "slugs" and "drive flanges."
After i started thinking for the first time today i realized they probaby are the same. I was talking to some local wheeler and he kept asking me slug or flange, i said flange but he said slug... well whatever. you all have the point. Its mostly as a spare, and since i cant afford those purty custom flanges ill have to go with the stockers.... still looking though... Ive called around but some phone people must have been hired from the local middle school death camp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Karnage said:
After i started thinking for the first time today i realized they probaby are the same. I was talking to some local wheeler and he kept asking me slug or flange, i said flange but he said slug... well whatever. you all have the point. Its mostly as a spare, and since i cant afford those purty custom flanges ill have to go with the stockers.... still looking though... Ive called around but some phone people must have been hired from the local middle school death camp.

You can't find any stock slugs in socal? If you need some lemme know, they're pretty easy to find up here at the pic n pulls. They're usually burried in the dirt under an axle that has been pillaged for shafts. :lmao:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top