TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a waggy d44 axle, and I need a pair of flat top knuckles for it. What are the guidelines as far as what types of flat top knuckles can fit on a waggy d44? I've seen some chevy and f250 flat top knuckles and was wondering if they will fit, and if not, what makes them not fit? Thanks.

p.s. anyone know where I can get some, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find someone who will sell me a pair.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
if you end up wanting to try and source a used pair of flat tops you are going to look for them on either chevy pickups/blazers or some jeep j10 pickups I think came with them. That is assuming that you want to stay 6 lug or 8 lug. If you want 5 lug check out the for f150/bronco knuckles.
Older Dodge pickups also came with flattops but they have the caliper mounts cast into them so I am not sure if they would work, I have never heard of people using them, but I dont see how they couldn't work.
If you want to buy brand new ones then check out the posts above.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you go the old chevy or ford route are you not going to have to drill and tap holes in the top of one of them? Also, don't they have a steering arm mount cast on the side of them already? I was looking at some of these, but they look like they may take some work for a high steer setup. Just trying to clarify...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work. You'll just have to get hi-steer arms to replace the regular x-over arm.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Only difference between Jeep, Chevy and Ford is amount of machining needed, and bolt pattterns. Choose the ones that match your rear axle. Ford is 5 bolt. Jeep 6 bolt, but no pre-machined holes or surfaces, Chevy usually the best choice for most, 6 bolt and one side is machined. I personally would just go with a fully assembled setup like P mike offers or some of the ones on Ebay. I used Jeeps because I got them for free and I have a friend in the machine shops, but ended up being far more hassle because of time required to get all of the parts, machining, buying and replacing ball joints, and all the hi-steer components...I wish I hadn't taken that route....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I ended up getting some off of a chevy... and although they will work, I wish the passenger side wasn't already machined. I got some off of an earlier waggy for my SAS, and I liked being able to machine all of mine. I like making the steering arms go in a little bit so I don't have any issues with them rubbing the tire. The fully assembled setup is nice, but a bit expensive. A pair of nice arms plus hardware is $250, and knuckles should cost $100.00. Ball joints should be around $100.00 for 4, and spindle lugs shouldn't be more than $10.00. Not bad for $460.00!

·
Registered
715 Posts
what about machining cost? hell of alot less work for anyone who has to pay over 100 bucks for machining.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I went the cheapest route. 2 Flat top knuckles from 70's j-10 jeep in junkyard-- $40pr. And Parts mike machined, drilled, tapped -both for $90. (Discounted price because some of my friends went in and we sent multiple sets). I think normal machining price for parts mike is 60 a piece. I just couldn't beat $130 for a set of professionally machined flat top knuckles. And if you buy the hardware kit from him he also installs it for free. To include balljoints.

Trent

·
Registered
924 Posts
I know this is an old post. But I noticed that thef flat surface on the knuckless off a Bronco is about an inch smaller. Don't know if these work :confused:

PappaF2 said:
if you end up wanting to try and source a used pair of flat tops you are going to look for them on either chevy pickups/blazers or some jeep j10 pickups I think came with them. That is assuming that you want to stay 6 lug or 8 lug. If you want 5 lug check out the for f150/bronco knuckles.
Older Dodge pickups also came with flattops but they have the caliper mounts cast into them so I am not sure if they would work, I have never heard of people using them, but I dont see how they couldn't work.
If you want to buy brand new ones then check out the posts above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts