TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Tacoma 3.4L

So i read a few of the threads started in this section from a couple years back. I am having the same problem. Stiff pedal with truck off and pedal to the floor when its running. If i continue to pump the pedal while the truck is running i have a hard pedal; but when i just leave my foot on the pedal and depress, the pressure gradually reduces. Yes, i have worked my way around the truck several times and bled every port including the BPV. I havent tried to bleed the MC yet, but i have some questions.

How do you gravity feed overnight?
If you let go of the ports on the MC wouldn't fluid come seeping out?

These are the next two things I am going to try. I didnt see a remedy on the other post so i will be sure to post what actually fixed the issue on this one.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
you have power brakes, so bleed them with the truck on./running. start at the passenger rear, then driver rear, then pass front, then driver front to bleed. get a pc of vaccum hose to put over the bleeder and run that into your brake fluid at whatever one you are bleeding. also after about 5-8 pumps check the resi to be sure the fluid isnt below the minimum level. if you run the resi out of fluid then you are sucking air back into the lines. i had to bleed the hell out of mine 2 weeks ago for at least an hour or two. good luck!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
If you have ABS, you need to have the truck running. No ABS, you don't need the truck running.

If you still have the rear LSPV, you need to bleed that as well. I find it easier to bleed that first, then the drums.

Are the bleeder screws on the top of the calipers? If not, you need to remove them and have the bleeders on top to get the air out. If you're still having issues, Zip ty up the calipers as high as you can (preferably higher than the MC) and leave overnight. The air will settle to the top and it will make it easier to bleed.

-Phill

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well finally gave up on this issue, The pedal is just a little squishy and the truck stops just fine. Dont know what the deal is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
well finally gave up on this issue, The pedal is just a little squishy and the truck stops just fine. Dont know what the deal is.
I would say the master cylinder has a small internal leak(can't see the leak from the outside and it doesn't lose any fluid). My 90 accord does the same thing. The pedal is firm when the engine is off, and the car stops fine with normal pedal pressure and travel. But if you sit at a stoplight for a little bit with a decent amount of pedal pressure the pedal will slowely sink down all the way to the floor(not very reassuring when sitting on an incline). The car has been like this for almost 5 years and I plan on finally getting it a new oem master cylinder for it before the end of this year. It's my first car and has over 270k on it, the brake master cylinder is original. From the time I've spent bleeding and flushing the brake fluid on my honda(only to have the problem not change), I point my finger at the brake master cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts