TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a set of Dakars on my truck and needed longer shocks to better capitalize on the added flex of the new springs. The Dakar's were installed without the second OL leaf. I took the 8.33 5150's off my truck and installed a set of 10.17 5125's P.N. BE5-6248-H5. They are eye/eye VS eye/post for stock applications, so an eye/post adapter, 4WP P.N. 1079 is required. Here are my findings: The dakars and 5125's in the 255/70 valving rides firm, but is still very comfortable. These Dakars flex a lot more than people give them credit for. Notice the attached pics. I have 18.0 inches of air space in the wheel well at full droop. This was limited by the 10.33 shock. I flexed the rear without shocks and got another 2.0 inches of droop with a higher ramp, so this is definitely shock limited. This set up is a compromise, but the best of both worlds given the amount of added droop. The compromise is compression. With the eye/stem adapter installed and the opposite shock completely compressed, there is still 1.50 inches of gap between the bumpstop and the frame. Not good for flying through the whoops, or carrying a heavy load. So, my fix will be to fab an extended bumpstop to avoid bottoming out the shock at full stuff. I have been driving the truck all week, and in normal city driving I have not even come close to bottoming out the back end. I put magic marker on the shock shaft to verify the shortest compressed length and they show no signs of even coming close. Keep in mind that I did not have any load in the bed, so this will be an issue with weight in the bed. The fix is a simple extended bumpstop. I will post up what I fab next week. IMO the little bit of compression that you lose, is far out weighed by the amount of added droop that you gain. Also, the brake line bracket needs to be relocated. I used a 1.5 inch spacer to keep the lines from being over stressed at full droop. Another small issue is the lower shock eye bushing. You need to trim approximately 1/16 of an inch off the sides of the bushing so that it will fit into the lower shock mount. I did it in less than 1 minute with a belt sander. I also need to get longer limit straps.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
what happened to my pics????

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Prolly what I'm going to end up getting sooner or later. What did you do with your old suspension? Keep it for if you ever sell it, you can put it back to stock?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old gear is on the side of the house. It's all bolt on, so it can always go back to stock. The only thing I need to fab is the extended bump stop. Gotta do it this week before my mojave trip.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Great write up. Very informative. Have to keep this in mind when I get my new springs?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GSM: Thank you. I'm sure I missed something in there, but I definitely tried to cover all of the bases. I'll post up when I mod the bumpstop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fabbed a bumpstop spacer to extend the bump. This was a quickee job and I re-used the factory bump because I have a Desert trip this weekend and didn't have time to make an aftermarket part work in this application. I fabbed the bottom plate and 2x2 spacer and welded them seperately. Then cut the ears off and carefully welded the factory bump to the spacer, cooling it in a bucket of water between welds. I only welded the corners, so as not to delaminate the rubber bump from the steel plate. It worked out fine for a short term fix. I will fab another bump bracket when I get home from this trip and probably use a poly bump instead of the factory rubber. This fix solved the issue of bottoming out the shock and netted me more droop in the process by using the 10.17 Bils. We'll see how it performs in Mojave this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, here's the scoop: The truck handles great OR, flys fine too. But totally loaded with gear it was on the bump stops too much. IMO you really need that extra 1.5 inches of up travel to stay off the bumps. So, if the truck doesn't need to haul a big load, go for it. Otherwise, don't do this mod. I will probably replace them with the Hoe resi shocks and lose a little droop. Or, I might mod the top shock mount to allow the travel without bottoming out the shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice truck. My gold 06 is going in the shop soon for hoes all around.:D just wondering what size tires your running? more pics! lol

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice truck. My gold 06 is going in the shop soon for hoes all around.:D just wondering what size tires your running? more pics! lol
Thanks! I'm running 285-75-R16 BFG's AT's. Here's another pic. Something was acting up in my photobucket site, so I could only upload 1 at a time today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think your tires are 6" off the ground. Where's the REAL test??
Brother took the pic too early. All 4 were in the air one second later. You got the balls to fly your new 30k truck? Step up to the plate big man, or:stfu:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not hit a speed bump? :confused:
My kid has hampsters smarter than you :dualing: :jack: isn't it 5 hours past your bed time little boy??? I still don't see your amazing jump pics with your new truck...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts