TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lift shop says I should use shims instead of the diff. drop. Will that work better? I have both available, but want to get rid of my vibration that i have with blocks. What would be in my best interest?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
huh??? Diff drop has to do with the front diff but blocks have to do with the rear lift.

Ok tell use what your overall goal with the truck is what lift you are trying to put on and what problems are you trying to get rid of and then we can answer your question.

Shims are just basically used to correct pinion angle.

Pics would help too

·
Registered
854 Posts
My pinion angle did not change with the Dakar installation. I have no vibs at any speeds in 2WD or 4WD. A diff drop is for the front diff, the degree shims are for the rear to correct pinion angle. With the Dakar install, you shouldn't need either as long as you don't add blocks or a longer shackle with the Dakar leaf pack. Heck, my rear brake line had enough slack that I didn't even have to add a rear brake line extension!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
oh oh oh the support bearing in the middle of the driveshaft.

either will work. I didn't use anything but if they got them it may not be a bad idea, can't hurt anything.

But if it has not been changed since you have had the truck replacing the bearing wouldn't be a bad idea either

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
oh oh oh the support bearing in the middle of the driveshaft.

either will work. I didn't use anything but if they got them it may not be a bad idea, can't hurt anything. Edit now that I have read both posts together and I think I know what you are trying to ask, if the guys installing your lift feel that the block is what is causing the vib then yes try to do the samething with shims and see if it goes away. Am I on the right track here or do you still have me in left field.

But if it has not been changed since you have had the truck replacing the bearing wouldn't be a bad idea either

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 07' Taco. I hope nothing has to be changed, lol. I had a carrier bearing drop in with my deavers and it made the vibe worse so I took it out. I figured it was designed for the OME springs since it is an OME part. The problem being is that the carrier moves approx. 3/8 of an inch from side to side and I am not sure if it is located where it should be. I centered as best I could, but I am not sure the dead center is where is necessarily should be. I sure hope I didn't start a shit load of problems.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Well do you still have the vibe with out it. If not than I wouldn't worry about it. But I did read in the other post that you are planning on running 315 is that just with the dakar leafs or are you running any other kind of lift in the rear. Didn't know your truck was an 07 so no you sholdn't have to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just the Dakars. They lift the hell out of the rear end though. They give 2.75 inched of lift and the rear is already 2 inches higher so that makes the rear 4.75 inches higher than stock. I lifted the front 5.5 inches with spindles and coilvovers so the rear should sit exactly 1/2 inch lower which is fine with me.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
alright, its pretty early for me so cut some slack but when i was installing my deavers i noticed something that might cause the vibe. ok, you know how your leaves that the main bolt that goes all the way through the leaves at the center of the pack?(top to bottom) Well on your axle there are 3 holes where that bolt will want to drop into. Now if 1 leaf was to drop into the hole in front, while the other dropped in the middle wouldnt that cause a vibration/dog leg? it may have already been discussed, but it was just an obervation i had. id get under the truck and see if the leafs were in the same spot on the axle.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Brock: my axle pad only had one hole, dead center. Curious how you got a choice of 3:confused:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Try the center support bearing drop and the 2 degree shims and see where that gets you. The vibe should be subtle on take off.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It's 11:30!!! Slacker:xbeer2: :xbeer2: :xbeer2: :xbeer2: :xbeer2: :xbeer2:
went to sleep at 7.. lol.

Brock: my axle pad only had one hole, dead center. Curious how you got a choice of 3:confused:
mine had 3 holes on the axle... dunno, but it did because my deavers fell into the front hole the first time and i got all pissed off.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
mine had 3 holes on the axle... dunno, but it did because my deavers fell into the front hole the first time and i got all pissed off.[/QUOTE]

No shit! Maybe there was more than one perch being used by toyota. Shit happens.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Cause right now all I have is the carrier bearing drop and it vibrates hella bad.
Yeah, it should have helped. Try the axle shim with the carrier drop shim and see if it helps. I haven't had time to figure mine out after I did the Dakar install. Been too busy at work lately.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts