TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dakar leafs -vs- Deaver leafs. About a $250 difference in price. Are Deavers that much better. Or is this an "Apple/Orange" comparison?
Comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
just a question, but your not compairing Add A Leaf to a full leaf pack are ya?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I haven't run the Deavers, but I do run the Dakars. From what I have heard, the deavers out flex the dakars, but the dakars have better load carrying capacity. I got the deaver info from the peeps on this site. My Dakars flex 4 plus inches more than my stockers did. So IMO you are comparing apples to oranges. You have to decide what type of duty your truck will see and then decide which spring is for you.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
what he said.
deaver does make 9 and 10 packs which are said to carry more of a load.

i got the omes cause they are priced good, can carry loads and ride good. had em on for 8 months now w/o problems. ive been told by the ppl behind me on the trail that they flex like "crazy" and i can still take a load of gravel home.

i think i could use a bit more wt in the box for dd but it still rides better than stock.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I havent run Dakars but I do run the 10 leaf Deaver pack. With my truck bed loaded pretty lightly for camping they were sagging. I have heard the opposite in terms of the Dakars. They will carry quite a bit more weight. My Deavers are really soft offraod but again without having run Dakars I cant comment on them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I havent run Dakars but I do run the 10 leaf Deaver pack. With my truck bed loaded pretty lightly for camping they were sagging. I have heard the opposite in terms of the Dakars. They will carry quite a bit more weight. My Deavers are really soft offraod but again without having run Dakars I cant comment on them.
go with the allpro 3" ones. mine sagged 1/8-1/4 and that was with 24 casses of 10" ceramic tile in the back. they are great offroad and good on road. with the anti-wrap- leaf on top they don't bounce and bind and hop offroad like other leafs. i love mine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How are the Dakars in high speed stuff? Compared to deavers?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
ummmmm.....not as good.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I run Deaver 10 pack they do ok with a load but do sag and bottom out. If you use your truck for work more than play i would suggest Dakars or a Deaver 12 pack rather than the deaver 10 pack. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Dakars are the Old Man Emu leafs (not sure if they have standard and cheaper ones, or just have a name for them now besides just the OME #).

·
Registered
138 Posts
im going through the same delima right now im on a Fabtech AAL and it blows on the highway, what do you think is the best, on road leaf spring?
Im pretty sure i want the all pros..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Deavers, and i have a brand new set for sale if you are interested with 10 miles on them. They didn't give me enough lift so I yanked them off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Alcan will build you a set of springs for exactly what you want, if you want to be able to carry heavy loads or have a nice ride and nice flex. I emailed them telling them what I wanted and they quoted me $235 a spring, which was a little steep for me so I'm going with the allpro, but if you want a spring thats perfect for what "you" want to do with it, have a company custom build you some.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
These Dakars are doing right by me so far. They ride good and feel steady on the freeway.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yep, you're comparing apples to oranges. The Dakars will not flex quite as well as the Deavers, but will hold weight a little better than the standard Deaver 8 or 9 leaf pack. That said, the Dakars don't flex bad at all though. The Dakars are a good dual purpose leaf pack at a great price.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is excerpts of an email I sent to Deaver Springs & Alcan. Just waiting for their response.

"I have a 2004 SR5 TRD Xcab Tacoma. I'm running Camburg 2.5 coilovers up front (at about 2.5" of lift) and Daystar greasable shackles with about 1.25" of lift (over stock) in the back. I do some mild/recreational off roading and occasional/very little loading of the bed with yard debris, bark dust, and your typical "DIY" homeowner type stuff. What Leaf pack would you recommend? I'll probably add some Bilstein 5100's in the rear for more travel."

·
Registered
82 Posts
yeah, just to follow up, the dakars carry a load better, thats what im running, but ill soon be swapping out for some deavers when i get the cash.

·
Registered
597 Posts
go with the allpro 3" ones. mine sagged 1/8-1/4 and that was with 24 casses of 10" ceramic tile in the back. they are great offroad and good on road. with the anti-wrap- leaf on top they don't bounce and bind and hop offroad like other leafs. i love mine.
how do those flex, on their website it says "Our Tacoma rear leaf springs are 98-04 factory length. Mounting these springs on 95-97 will require new front spring hangers. These springs have a special torque leaf to reduce axle wrap. Springs come with new poly bushings and sleeves. " did you have to weld up new front hangers or modify them? i might go with these soon its almost time for some new leaves

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
how do those flex, on their website it says "Our Tacoma rear leaf springs are 98-04 factory length. Mounting these springs on 95-97 will require new front spring hangers. These springs have a special torque leaf to reduce axle wrap. Springs come with new poly bushings and sleeves. " did you have to weld up new front hangers or modify them? i might go with these soon its almost time for some new leaves
Our leaf springs are designed to be flexy off-road springs, not necessarily load carrying springs, although they are capable of handling some weight since they are shot-peened to reduce fatigue and pre-cycled to reduce sag.

On your 01 Tacoma, they will bolt right up to the factory hangers with no modification.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts