TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop has a great deal on the 15x8" rock crawler "d" hole rims with 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts, and I was looking to run this set-up. However, I would rather not grind my rims or brake calipers to make them fit. One of the guys told me that I could run wheel spacers of 1/4", but that it may put too much pressure on my axle nuts, and either strip them, or bend them. Any truth in this? I have looked at the wheelers, but after buying the lug nuts, caps, and shipping, I'd rather buy local. I do some moderately aggressive wheeling (for a beginner with a nearly stock truck), but nothing too extreme. Help a brother out?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Maybe this is a bit off topic or maybe you know this already, but I know that you might be able to fit US wheel 84 series 15X8 black steel rims with 3.75" offset without any problem. I know some people had problems fitting them, but some had no problem at all. I have a 2003 double-cab 4x4 trd tacoma and they fit just right - there is probably like 1mm of space between the rims and the calipers, but who cares if they don't rub. If you have possibility to try them on, do that first and make sure to tighten the lug nuts before you make your conclusions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've heard that about the US wheels. I just hate that stripe! LOL, like it matters that much, I just want a good deal, on good wheels and tires, and those series 51's from rock crawler are hot right now. I've got a bunch of different info, so I guess I just need to sort through it all. Anyone else? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Spacers put added strain on the hub bearings, studs and lugs. But there are alot of people safely using them (some on this board). As long as you remember to properly torque them and check the torque regularly they should give you safe trouble free use.
You might see decreased life of the bearings. But I wouldnt sweat it. If you do get wear thats abnormal then remove the spacers and wheels when you change the hubs.
You could also run these as trail only tires/rims and reduce the chance of premature wear.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that a 1/4" wheel spacer has the same effect on bearings that a wheel with 1/4" less offset?

For example a 3.75" offset compared to 4" offset. Both move the center of the tire 1/4" inch further from the bearing. So the effects should be the same. "If" this is true I would not foresee this being too much of a problem, because tons of people run a 3.75" backspacing. But I am from Tennessee, so chances are I've missed something.

Oh yeah, this just adresses the bearing problem. I would guess that there is some stress added to the studs. Any other info on the suject would be nice because I'm looking into doing this myself.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
A local shop has a great deal on the 15x8" rock crawler "d" hole rims with 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts, and I was looking to run this set-up. However, I would rather not grind my rims or brake calipers to make them fit. One of the guys told me that I could run wheel spacers of 1/4", but that it may put too much pressure on my axle nuts, and either strip them, or bend them. Any truth in this? I have looked at the wheelers, but after buying the lug nuts, caps, and shipping, I'd rather buy local. I do some moderately aggressive wheeling (for a beginner with a nearly stock truck), but nothing too extreme. Help a brother out?
i ran them for a while and sold them to my room mate, nothings broke on it so far. unless you gonna be hardcore and abusing it i dont think it would matter. we wheel once every few months and everything is fine. but then again i sold them to get the proper backspacing after i lifted so..........

remeber you can always sell them after to any other toy thats pretaco

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
go with 1/8" spacers; that will clear the calipers and not be an issue. Even with 1/4" spacers all you have to do is install longer studs. make sure to get top quality spacers or wheel balancing becomes a serious problem.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Peanut Butter said:
http://www.ronalusa.com/shopping/index.html
read thru this page...
there is a brief discussion of spacers about 7/8 of the way down the page...and read thru the hub-centric section as well...

Ronal spacers are the only ones I've seen that address the the lugs and hub fitment issues...they manufacture the alloy wheels for Toyota so talking to them would be a good idea for getting the right mechanical set up!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
So what's the consensus? Good or Bad...? I was thinking of adding a wheel spacer to my 16x8 AR Mojave wheels running the equivalent of 32 tire BFG All-Terrains. I just wanted about another 1" or 1.5" of width/tire stance to line up a little better with my fender flares. I know Eibach makes their Pro-Spacers but not sure if they have an application for Tacomas through.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
bluetaco said:
http://www.ronalusa.com/shopping/index.html
read thru this page...
there is a brief discussion of spacers about 7/8 of the way down the page...and read thru the hub-centric section as well...

Ronal spacers are the only ones I've seen that address the the lugs and hub fitment issues...they manufacture the alloy wheels for Toyota so talking to them would be a good idea for getting the right mechanical set up!
I've seen this link posted before, and while it's a nice synopsis of spme spacer issues it is hardly biblical. Furthermore, they cannot help anyone that is not running an OE wheel. Direct from them today:

Sorry, we only supply spacers made for our wheels, custom fitment!

Gary Allison,
Ronal USA
15692 Computer Ln., Huntington Beach, CA 92649
PH: 714-891-4853: FX: 714-897-5611
www.ronalusa.com

I've run AOR spacers before in 1" size with absolutley no problems, probably going to use them in the rear after the SAS.
AOR Spacers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you sure about that flatland? There are three threads that talk about centricity and you are the only one saying that they are hub centric. The threads discuss how it is difficult to balance stock toyota wheels BECAUSE they are lug centric. I'd really like to know, cause I want to get some adapters for my '04 dcab.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
If you are talking about oem wheels then you have it backwards. Hubcentric.
uh, no, they are lug centric unless Toyota has changed thing very recently.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts