TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand why the city did what it did. But it still pisses me off that it has to happen.

http://www.ketv.com/entertainment/10662153/detail.html

The entire process started 2 years ago when a little girl ran into a tree while sledding and ended up paralized from the waist down. This one is still in court.

What took the issue to the Nebraska Supreme Court was an incident at a City skate park. The City built 2 nice skate parks Posted the typical signs. Well, two kids ran into each other. One suffered some pretty serious brain injury. There was a second incident similar to that one. Once again, 2 kids collided. Now instead of going after the other family, they went after the deep pockets of the City.

The Supreme Coourt rulled that the law protecting private property owners from other peoples stupidity on their land did not protect the City from stupidity on their lands.

Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for the families. They suffered a great loss. But you know what. Accidents happen. It is no ones fault. It happens. Teach your kid to watch where they are going a little more. If they run into something and it hurts, then they need to learn not to do it again.

-rant over- :mad:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I hate stupid lawsuits where people just see an easy opportunity for money. It is so damn annoying, the McDonalds hot coffee thing etc... They are going to turn everyone into a bunch of sallys.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
The family (ies) bringing the law suit should be shot. What could the city have done? Not built the nice free park? Fucktards.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
thats fuckin bullshit. without skateparks and such kids would just get in to trouble with the law. kids will always be getting hurt. its the dumbass parents that dont teach their kids to be safe that should be sued for child abuse :mad:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The City tries to do something nice for the kids. Give them a place. Then they get kicked in the teeth. Damn parents want someone else to entertain their kids and keep them occupied. Then they don't like it.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN DAMN KIDS!!! Don't expect someone else to do it for you. You had them. They are your responsibility!!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
vanguard said:
Blaming lawyers is like blaming guns. Blame the people suing.
Not true, sorry. Yes there is responsibility for this on the plaintifs as well, lawyers are really very morally undescriminating when it comes to picking their cases.

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vanguard said:
Blaming lawyers is like blaming guns. Blame the people suing.
What, you don't think there are some ambulance chasers out there making things worse? Haven't you seen the TV ads asking if you have taken drug XYZ and has made you sneeze more? Gotten letters from some law firm asking you to join a class action law-suit and you end up with a $1.05 check?

There are a lot of causes for our society to becoming such a law-suit happy place. Where it's never your fault something went wrong. It was always someone elses fault. And you deserve $3 mil to compensate for your inconvenience.

Lawyers are capitolist doing everything they can to make more money. It just happens to be at someone elses expense.

There are good lawyers out there doing the right thing. But there are a lot of greedy bastards who could give a rats ass about you and me, but will use everything and everyone to make an extra buck.

·
Registered
854 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
thats fuckin bullshit. without skateparks and such kids would just get in to trouble with the law. kids will always be getting hurt. its the dumbass parents that dont teach their kids to be safe that should be sued for child abuse :mad:
X2! Well stated!!! That's one of the reasons cities build things like this for kids of that age. Without things to do, they'll find something else to do which usually involves, drugs, gangs, vandalism, thefts, etc. I'm a FIRM believer that you do things at your own risk regardless of what it is, and that includes getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. I'm an ULTRACONSERVATIVE when it comes to negligence and believe people are responsible for their own actions and the risks that come along with conducting activities in everyday life whether they be entertainment or work-related. It's going to get to the point where all these FN lawsuits are going to make things so difficult for municipalities and businesses that want to offer the general public some source of entertainment. Everybody is so worried about liability these days that it's starting to take all the fun out of life. I tore my ACL playing football, should I have sued the school who's player hit me for my medicals and surgery? NO, I played the game at my own risk and that was the chance I took...oh well, such is life! Sorry if you think I'm an ass, but I don't feel bad one bit for anyone in this case except the City who tried to do something nice but got burned...what a crock of shit!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
miguelitro said:
Not true, sorry. Yes there is responsibility for this on the plaintiffs as well, lawyers are really very morally undiscriminating when it comes to picking their cases.

Mike

Maybe they should try morality. It would probably cut out defense attorneys all together and hell would be less full.

I'm not saying that the plaintiffs aren't morons either, but if they don't have someone to represent their case then a lot of these asinine proceedings would cease to exist.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to manage a public owned skate park in Orange County. We had to cover our asses with wavers, required kids to wear pads etc just to cover our asses in case of a law suit. It's just gotten out of hand, nobody wants to claim any personal responsibility anymore. We had broken arms/legs/wrists, concussions, torn acl's... hell saw a guy literately peel half his face off when he fell from coping to flat (12 foot fall on his face). Skatings dangerous, it happens, accept it or buy your kit a coloring book and some safety scissors and never let them outside.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think even if the kids family said, "We just want to sue the other kid's parents." The laywer would still end up sueing the city.

This could be considered the city's punishment to the genereal public for frivalous law suits. "You want to be a dumb fuck and sue everyone for everything? Fine, do it over things that happen on your own land assholes."

One of the things that bothers me the most about the legal system is how there is no way to direct fines towards people who sue over bullshit things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DentedTacoma said:
I hate stupid lawsuits where people just see an easy opportunity for money. It is so damn annoying, the McDonalds hot coffee thing etc... They are going to turn everyone into a bunch of sallys.
I just studied this case in business law this semseter. It was poorly publicized. A. McDonald's coffee was 180+ degrees,
B. The lady received 3rd burns from said coffee,
C. This wasn't the 1st complaint to McD's
D. They wanted to settle out of court for costs like 250-500k.
E. McDs refused to admit they were in the wrong and refused to settle.
F. Went to court McDs lost more money for gross negligence.
G. McDs coffee is now 160-170 degrees and now cups have that nifty warning. Now this did open the door for others like the finger in the Wendy's Chili, but that woman got a bad rap for the McD's case.

In the issue with the city I agreee the other parents insurance should cover it. I fell and cut open my knee in a public park at like 3 years old and my parents took me to the Dr It got stiches and a bandaid. No sueing. If you care about your kid make it wear a helmet/pads/etc as others mentioned. I know many states have bicycle helmet laws. Besides who funds and gives the city money anyway(who's pocket is it really coming out of)?

:2cents:

·
Registered
854 Posts
spaceycayce said:
I just studied this case in business law this semseter. It was poorly publicized. A. McDonald's coffee was 180+ degrees,
B. The lady received 3rd burns from said coffee,
C. This wasn't the 1st complaint to McD's
D. They wanted to settle out of court for costs like 250-500k.
E. McDs refused to admit they were in the wrong and refused to settle.
F. Went to court McDs lost more money for gross negligence.
G. McDs coffee is now 160-170 degrees and now cups have that nifty warning. Now this did open the door for others like the finger in the Wendy's Chili, but that woman got a bad rap for the McD's case.

In the issue with the city I agreee the other parents insurance should cover it. I fell and cut open my knee in a public park at like 3 years old and my parents took me to the Dr It got stiches and a bandaid. No sueing. If you care about your kid make it wear a helmet/pads/etc as others mentioned. I know many states have bicycle helmet laws. Besides who funds and gives the city money anyway(who's pocket is it really coming out of)?

:2cents:
Fuck the lady with the burns from the coffee!!! Again, back to my last post in this thread. People are not holding themselves responsible for their own actions. Did someone from McDonald's spill the coffee on her? If she spilled it on herself...what's wrong with saying, "opps, I spilled coffee on myself, what a dumbass I am!" Furthermore, those that drink coffee know ahead of time that it is hot. That again is a risk YOU TAKE when holding a drink that is 180 degrees in your hand. Had that been a cold soda, would a suit have been brought forth? Same thing!!! I'm not even going to go into the finger thing at Wendy's! I would hope that we could all agree with this synopsis. Otherwise, you're just another no good liberal fuckstick with no purpose to live! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
spaceycayce said:
Now this did open the door for others like the finger in the Wendy's Chili, but that woman got a bad rap for the McD's case.
Last I heard the Wendy's lady planted that finger herself so she could sue. Apparantly she has a history of going around trying to set herself up so she can file a lawsuit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This Story, at it's very core

Is a prime example of the erosion of personal responsibility in todays society. Everybody seems to think the government should protect them from any harm to themselves or there loved ones. The parent's in my opinion, used that lawsuit to assuage there own guilt about that horrible accident. :2cents:

·
Registered
854 Posts
In the Field said:
Is a prime example of the erosion of personal responsibility in todays society. Everybody seems to think the government should protect them from any harm to themselves or there loved ones. The parent's in my opinion, used that lawsuit to assuage there own guilt about that horrible accident. :2cents:
X2...I couldn't agree with you more!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
tderose
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing