TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
damn this p0420 code

2001 3.4l v6 2wd prerunner, k&n intake and gibson exhaust..

the cel has always been on. and its always popped the 171 code, i just had all the plugs and wires replaced, and changed out the maf to a jet performance. truck runs better but the cel just came back in after 45 miles.

if its the same 171 code, any more ideas? o2 sensor?

andy

edit - read the code 171 is gone its now 420..does the urd o2 sim harness work in this situation?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Could be O2 aswell. Not sure how long those last. My 2.7 has 235k on it w/ headers, exhaust and cai with no codes. I replaced the cat when I did the exhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
114 Posts
u can try cleaning the cat its a 50/50 chance it might work... what u do is get 2 big bottles of chevrons techron """concentrated""" run a full tank of good fuel "shell or chev hi-test and then run one bottle in ur tank less then 1/4 tank of fuel... use the other bottle to do what we call a vacuum decarb witch what u do is let the vehicle warm-up to norm temp disconnect the brake booster vac hose and feed the chevron into the hose and try to make it stall with out it dieing do that tell that bottle is gone let it sit for about an 1hr then startr it up and it will run like shit just rev it up a few times tell it runs all that shit out and the eng starts running norm agin clear the light and see what happends
heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_oXKxe3wo&feature=related

·
Registered
114 Posts
o2 sim will fix the p0420

·
Registered
114 Posts
depends on what type of inspection u guys do... here in lasvegas nv we just hook up to the obdII connector and we dont do a visual inspection... so it will pass here... but if u guys do a visual aswell then it wont pass... im a smog inspector here in vegas so i know a lil bit

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
wonder if the urd o2 sim mod would work on this to make it pass emissions
No it won't. It will only fool the ECU to get the CEL to go off. It does nothing to change or improve your emissions. If your cat is bad, then that would be the reason you would fail the emissions test.

If you are in CA, don't even bother with the O2 sim. With a smog check every 2yrs, you pretty much need a working cat and a truck in tune to pass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts