TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this information is in here, but I can't find it so im posting this in noob section. I have an 84 waggy here just laying around. Both dana 44 axles are in good shape. I bought the truck cheap from a local friend....it has some wiring issues that I just can't trace so I've though about swapping out the axles with my tacoma's. I guess the time has come to SAS. Now, Ive been reading and all I see are 85 waggy axles and up. What is the difference, if any, with the 84 waggy axles. Also, could I go ahead and switch out the rear axle with my tacoma's early. I ask this because I will have no shop access for about 3 months and would like to get some of the work done. I know alot of people say I should go with the 60, or a ford 9'', but I haven't decided on that yet. Also, could I still keep the truck as a daily driver...and what is my expected gas milage. I have an 01 tacoma non trd 5sp. Also, what will be the abs problems....I haven't driven with abs for along time so I do know how to drive without it. My truck currently has something messed up with the abs and i haven't been able to take it in for awhile to the dealer.

Can somebody please answer my questions. Also, does anybody know how much it will cost just to switch the rear ends out, assuming everything on the waggy axle has been replaced and is ready to go.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
You've been here since November and you are asking all of this? :rolleyes:

...I've though about swapping out the axles with my tacoma's.
Go for it! I'd love to see a waggy with a Tacoma IFS. :D

Now, Ive been reading and all I see are 85 waggy axles and up. What is the difference, if any, with the 84 waggy axles.
Is the '84 vaccuum? Is it wide track? What side is the diff?

Also, could I go ahead and switch out the rear axle with my tacoma's early. I ask this because I will have no shop access for about 3 months and would like to get some of the work done.
Why? The Tacoma rear is comparable strength to a D44, isn't it?

I know alot of people say I should go with the 60, or a ford 9'', but I haven't decided on that yet.
If you are contemplating these, why do the D44? Just suck it up and go with the boat anchor or the 9".

Also, could I still keep the truck as a daily driver...and what is my expected gas milage. I have an 01 tacoma non trd 5sp.
Here. I did the hard work of typing. All you have to do is click and read.
Daily driver threads and Gas mileage threads

I personally got 14mpg with a heavy foot, 37's and 4.88 gears.

Also, what will be the abs problems....
There shouldn't be any. I took mine out completely.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Your front axle is more than likely a vaccuum disconnect model which is weaker and shouldn't be used for a SAS. Look on top of the axle. If there is a box with lines running to it it is the vaccuum model. If you run a D44 front there is no reason so get rid of your rear axle. The stock toyota rear axle is stronger than a D44. Dana 60's are much stronger, but they will be sticking out further, be heavier and you will want to swap out the front and rear axles. As far as the ABS goes it just won't work, but doesn't effect anything else.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as to your Youve been here since november comment...yes I have, I don't know alot about the toyota's and dana axles hence this is in the noob forum. And between school and my job, i hardly have enough time search. Thanks for the info though guys, I guess ill just sell one of my projects and buy the right stuff.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
opposite boy, your website is very informative....gives me all the info i really need now...thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts