TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a dana 44 front and dana 60 rear from a dodge. Of course no problems with the rear. The front however is causing problems. When it is in place the pumpkin sits right under the frame. When the 44 is in between the frame rails like its supposed to be the driver side tire sits out 3in more than the passager side. Do I just scrap it and go with a chevy or something or is there a way to make it fit? Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Pix? What year frame are we talking about here?

I guess my biggest :dunno: is if you wheel hard enough to need a 60 why would you consider a 44 for the front? HUGE strength difference there ...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Cut it.:saw: :flipoff4:

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its an 84 4runner frame. And I am stongly considering upgrading to a dana 60 front. But got both axles for 100 bucks. So I thought I would just use the 44 till I had the grand to spend on a dana 60 front.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
If you are using the stock spring hangar up front and the stock width shackles, it's not gonna work. If you want to run the D44, you'll need to cut the driver axle tube down 3" so its the same on both sides. If you do that, you'll need to get a custom inner axle shafts.

If you go with a 60, you'll have to get Skys full width axle spring hangar setup to accommodate the wider width. Either way, you're going to have to do some fabricating.

If you run the 44, your center to center spring perch width should be like 27". Stock Toyota stuff is 29" and full width is 31"+.

Edit: Make that cut the driver side axle tube down 3".

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to run chevy leafs all around. If I cut the front axle I have to chop the rear and really didn't want to do that. But will the dana 60 front fit in between the frame rails so I don't have to shorten it? Really wanted the full width axles.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am changing the wheelbase. And at this point they will work. That may change when I get them on. I took off the orignal leaf mounts and will have new one installed. This is my first build from the ground up. So in some areas im clueless

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm doing the same on a 10 bolt chevy front. I left the spring perches where they were, and just accordingly moved my hanger and shackle mounts for the front to accomodate the full width axle.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I'm thinking the front spring eye is going to be WAY out there and kill your approach angle. IIRC, the centering pin is pretty much dead center on the chevies (so I don't think you can reduce the overhang by turning them backwards)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah it works to do it the way i said. No way would I try to cut into that perch built into the chunk on the front axle. Too much work anyway. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll email you a drawing of what I'm doing to get around it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts