TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recentely found a list of manufactures and models to search for axles.

According to the list, it seems that there were more Dodges with dana 60's in them for more years than from chevy or Ford.

But I also seem to remember seeing a thread that qued me to stay away from Dana 60's out of dodges.

So is it okay to use these axles or am I remembering correctly? should I pursue the dodge/dana route or run the opposite direction?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Bear said:
I recentely found a list of manufactures and models to search for axles.

According to the list, it seems that there were more Dodges with dana 60's in them for more years than from chevy or Ford.

But I also seem to remember seeing a thread that qued me to stay away from Dana 60's out of dodges.

So is it okay to use these axles or am I remembering correctly? should I pursue the dodge/dana route or run the opposite direction?
Seems like what I read recently against Dodges was outer shit, as in maybe the pumpkin, shafts, housing were fine, just no lockouts, weaker outers or something like that. Was a recent thread- I think it was here....

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I thought it was off this board as well. I just can't find the thread now. I am hoping that a dodge set would work. I am not concerned about the rear axle, but the front is obviously important.

I would be happy with it as long as I could add flanges and it would not explode on me. The axles are for a rig that will see zero road time so having manual hubs is not important.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am planning on running 39" tires, so maybe not having the hp won't be so bad, whata ya think?

I have devised a scheme to buy a couple of trucks for dirt cheap and scrap everything except for the drive trains. It would be a whole lot easier if I could add dodges to my list of vehicles to watch out for.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you are just building a buggy why not run rocs and forget about it?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wes said:
If you are just building a buggy why not run rocs and forget about it?
I am not understanding what you mean. "rocs"??? I am not familar with that term. is it a type of axle?

Yes I am stupid but I was born that way.LOL

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The early ones (right hand drop) are ok........they are almost the same as a chevy and while not as strong as a ford 60 they will take some abuse.

the reason there is soooooo many dodge dana 60's out there is because dodge ram them clear through like 02 or 03 in there 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.........these were left hand drop and they suck......the outers are weak......I belive that some of them have vacume shit on them......and they are unitbearing design that is expensive to fix and will not hold up to big tires......and you can't get lockouts.......plus the housing is weaker.

with that being said Dynatrac does make a upgrade kit fore the newer dodge 60's that adds alot of strength internally as well as adding lockouts........but it don't address the weak housing..........overall you are better off with a ford axle if you want drivers drop.

My neighbor has one for sale for what I think is a reasonable price.........but it still is not exactly cheap.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Bear said:
I am not understanding what you mean. "rocs"??? I am not familar with that term. is it a type of axle?

Yes I am stupid but I was born that way.LOL

Rockwells..........come on even I figured it out LOL

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like shit today! wasn't thinking. but yea that makes sense now that you shown the light. thanks buddy!

Oh guess what? well I guess I better tell you off the board, it is not for "public consumption" watch your pm box!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right now I am at the point where it does not matter what side the pumpkin is on. Actually that isn't all entirely true. I think I would rather have a passenger side drop as you know what t-case I am going to be using.

But I have a plan on how to buy some axles cheap, I just have to find them first, thus the reason I searched for an "availablity list" I'll explain when I pm you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm pretty sure he is talking about putting the 60's under a buggy?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if im not mistaken, the early dodges are ok, mid 80's when everything was kingpin, and u could mix and match outers

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What t-case you talking about running?
You can roll a 205 over pretty easy- just a little more prone to leak if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
should I reply to this post or the one before you edited it?LOL I got that one in my subscription notice.

On any account. I am keeping the truck as is. It wheels good, and I can drive it to work and back (which the last couple of days has been nice for the 4wheel drive and the idiot city crews that don't know how to plow)

the axles are for a buggy. I have a lot of parts already for the buggy, with the axles being the main stumbling block.

The buggy is primarily going to be for cub 2 to tear up. I'll be driving it sometimes, but mostly for the kids. It is the one that is going to be on the 39's. I don't want that size of tire on my truck. I am happy with the way it is set up (excluding the body lift…and no I am still not going to tear it out due to all the tubing on the truck. Might as well rebuild the whole thing if I decide to lower it)

I thought I read on a thread Dodge axles were a no go, didnt realize it was yours. So since you were the one, mentioning it, I don't even need to find the thread now. As long as I know you were the one making the comments, I know to stay away from them!

I still need to call you, I have just been so damn busy lately! I'll try to call sometime this week though…that is if you ever answer your phone!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not sure which tcase I am running yet. I just know I have one ( I am not up on all the model numbers yet) But basically it is out of a '90 ford. I might need to look into an adapter plate but hopefully not as I plan to run the entire driveshaft out of the same manufacture.

The buggy is going to be powered by a Ford 302 FI or 302 HO FI (not sure yet but certain it is going to be one of these)

The FI motor is complete, with 5 speed tranny and t case. If I can trade the tranny for an automatic fairly cheap then I will be running that as a set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
oztaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing