TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Dana 60 rearend into my rig and am requesting design advice. I am using 0.120 wall 2"x4" rectangular tubing for the truss. Is "A" going to be better than "B"? Lighter, yes (I kinda threw lightweight rearend out the window when I decided to go with a D60), but will it justify the extra effort to get to "A"?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I am installing a Dana 60 rearend into my rig and am requesting design advice. I am using 0.120 wall 2"x4" rectangular tubing for the truss. Is "A" going to be better than "B"? Lighter, yes (I kinda threw lightweight rearend out the window when I decided to go with a D60), but will it justify the extra effort to get to "A"?
Just go with B. it is a ton less work! Have fun welding all that and pray you don't warp it.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
If you have room, weld a angle iron or something to the back of it (just tacked) so it wouldn't warp...

Then when your done, break it off, and grind flat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great idea!!! I've some 0.375 wall rectangular tubing I'll use on the bottom of the tubes, work from outside in, 1in at a time rotating corner to corner and side to side, and take my time.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
u plan on running over land mines? :D i dont see why u need a truss on it but i guess its good to try something new once in a while

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
B) IMO unless you fly the truck, you shouldn't need the truss. But if you like it, go for it. X2 on the warpage when you weld it. Watch out! That's a lot of surface area to weld. If you fixture the housing before you weld, you can keep the warping to a minimum, if you don't weld every square inch of it. Try welding the ends, middle and a few sections in between. You would be surprised how much welding can warp the housing :2cents:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If I remember correctly he uses his 4runner as a chase truck for desert racing.

A is a neat design but it will take a lot longer to make plus you will get tons of dirt and mud and stuff in the truss. You can negate that if you weld tubes in the holes so the truss is sealed but then your weight savings is gone.

B is simple and stout. It will be much easier to make.

I think the main thing to worry about on any dana axle is the connection between the cast housing and the tubes. The housing can sheer off at that location if you jump the shit out of it. I would say the the most important part is bridging the housing, kinda like what most people do for a 4 link mount. That would be easy and effective. But B would be the next step up in strenght.

Post up pics what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got it, Pappa!!!! If I were just rock crawlin, I wouldn't even think twice about leaving off the truss. But in the desert, whoops can eat up an axle just as badly as big hits. I want to be able to jump the shit outta it if the situation arises and not have a smiley faced axle, or a split case... Pismo for Surf n Turf, for example!!!! I'll post pics as I finish.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
10-4 didn't know you jump the truck. Just be careful when you weld it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
heat welding area with propane torch, 1" welds per session, each session welding each corner alternating sides and ends, working from outside in. 30 min cool down between each session. tack 2" square tubing (cut off and ground after final cool) to the bottom side of the axle tubes...:welder:

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
So no warpage? PICS!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haven't done it yet... may not get to it until Thursday. My youngest got sick yesterday and is home from school today, Mom-in-law's birthday with wife attending leaves me little time to weld. Family first keeps me wheeling... :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I just gotta clean the axle and weld it!!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks good. :cool: You have some NI rod to weld the truss to the cast center?
X2 That center section is cast iron, isn't it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't have tig weld capabilities. I'm mig welding with gas. Preheat for penetration, weld, then let cool for a bit, postheat, cool a bit longer, heat again, cool longer still... That's how I welded to my 44 front and it seemed to work well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts