TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my ring and pinion last week and considering my options to beef up the rear end. Diamond Axles are a great option but are a minimum of an 8 week wait. So I am debating two other options. I can go with the 8.4" rear end found on the TRD Sport with ARB Lockers Front and Rear, which will be a little improvement. With this I maintain ABS. Or, I can go to a Dana 9" rear end with disc brakes, I lose the ABS. When I am wheeling, I pull the ABS Fuses anyways. If I go with the Dana, should it be a major concern to lose the ABS being that this is a daily driver? Either way I go, I need to upgrade my brakes, becasue I am well over stock weight with all of the mods and I am running 33's, right now the truck stops for shit. I am leaning towards the Dana rear end, as it seems the more bullet proof way to go and it will add needed braking power. Just a little concerned with ABS for daily driving. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i think you mean ford 9'' but i may be wrong. but i think that would be overkill. why not just buy some chromos and cryo treated ring and pinion :2cents:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
cell4soul said:
I broke my ring and pinion last week and considering my options to beef up the rear end. Diamond Axles are a great option but are a minimum of an 8 week wait. So I am debating two other options. I can go with the 8.4" rear end found on the TRD Sport with ARB Lockers Front and Rear, which will be a little improvement. With this I maintain ABS. Or, I can go to a Dana 9" rear end with disc brakes, I lose the ABS. When I am wheeling, I pull the ABS Fuses anyways. If I go with the Dana, should it be a major concern to lose the ABS being that this is a daily driver? Either way I go, I need to upgrade my brakes, becasue I am well over stock weight with all of the mods and I am running 33's, right now the truck stops for shit. I am leaning towards the Dana rear end, as it seems the more bullet proof way to go and it will add needed braking power. Just a little concerned with ABS for daily driving. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Ford 9" ;)

either a D60 or that Ford will lose you quite a bit of ground clearance so be aware. you will also lose your parking/e brake with either of those, along with ABS.

I'd opt for the toyota 8.4 and the ARBs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard cryogenically freezing the R & P strengthens them significantly and I know that will help. If I go with the 8.4", would aftermarket pads in the rear and aftermarket rotors and pads up front give me the stopping power I am looking for?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MIT ( Mechanically Inclined) in El Cajon said they would be able to get the ebrake to work with the new rear end, it would take some work, but could do it. My other concern was the ABS sensors effecting the computer in the truck. With my ABS fuses pulled I didn't notice changes in transmission shifting or any other problems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That may help but don't know how much. For the older taco's, Downey used to sell a disc brake conversion for the rear, don't know about these new tacos. Ford 9" would be nice, but you'd need different or modified axles to get the 6x5.5 lug pattern.

·
Registered
313 Posts
also, others in the long travel scene wanted to get a 9' for the new tacoma's and were having trouble with something they referred to as the "tone ring", which I can't elaborate on.
Is your truck out of warranty already?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slergio said:
That may help but don't know how much. For the older taco's, Downey used to sell a disc brake conversion for the rear, don't know about these new tacos. Ford 9" would be nice, but you'd need different or modified axles to get the 6x5.5 lug pattern.
Jeff, the owner of MIT says he wont have any problems making it all work, other than losing the ABS.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am interested to see what you go with and how it turns out - I know the sports have 8.4" - what is the size of the non-sport rear end with elocker?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slergio said:
also, others in the long travel scene wanted to get a 9' for the new tacoma's and were having trouble with something they referred to as the "tone ring", which I can't elaborate on.
Is your truck out of warranty already?
About 10k left on my powertrain, but I don't care about warranty anymore.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wicked2007 said:
I am interested to see what you go with and how it turns out - I know the sports have 8.4" - what is the size of the non-sport rear end with elocker?
I am sure someone else will know the answer for sure, but I think it is a 7.9". Again, don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ryguy said:
wow what did you do to shred your ring and Pinon? You must be doing hard rock crawling then punching on the gas while its off the ground eh?
Yeah, pretty much. It wasn't crawling this time, more like climbing. But, the back wheels did get off the ground unexpectedly just before I high centered while I was locked.....and you know the rest. It didn't bum me out as I wanted to regear anyways. The factory elocker worked OK, but I cant beleive how small the teeth are on that thing compared to the aftermarket stuff like ARB of Detroit.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
cell4soul said:
I am sure someone else will know the answer for sure, but I think it is a 7.9". Again, don't quote me on that.
only 2 diffs for Tacomas: 8" TRD w/elocker and the 8.4 open diff.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hytenor said:
only 2 diffs for Tacomas: 8" TRD w/elocker and the 8.4 open diff.
Thank you once again for your knowledge.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
cell4soul said:
Jeff, the owner of MIT says he wont have any problems making it all work, other than losing the ABS.
then there will be a whole bunch of guys here who will be interested to see what he comes up with as far as a working ebrake goes.

you'll still have the loss of clearnce to deal with unless you are going to a 37+" tire.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
not sure if it will work with the '05+ rear ends but you could also get the FROR full floater rear disk kit that will convert the rear brakes to disks and give you chromoly axles. you could cryo treat the rear gears and have a pretty decent setup.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
not sure if it will work with the '05+ rear ends but you could also get the FROR full floater rear disk kit that will convert the rear brakes to disks and give you chromoly axles. you could cryo treat the rear gears and have a pretty decent setup.
he said they have an 8wk backlog ;) ...probably more like 8mos.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
cell4soul said:
About 10k left on my powertrain, but I don't care about warranty anymore.
Toyota's warranty is only as valuable as the paper its printed on (unless of course your buddies with someone in the service dept.)

I gave up on my warranty early too after my local dealer said my 265x75x16 A/T's and king coilovers set at 2" of lift voided my warranty. I wish I would have bought used and saved some money :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
21 Participants
ryguy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing