TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Last night the dash lights went out on my 2002 tacoma. At the same time I lost my brake lights and turn signals.

I found that two fuses had blown and they were replaced. Turn signals and brake lights are working fine.

But my dashboard stil has no backlight. I'm wondering how to locate the light to check and or replace.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Detroitchirs

·
Registered
140 Posts
On my '02 Tacoma, you have to remove a good amount of the dash, as well as the cluster itself, to access the lights that are plugged into the back of the cluster. Light bulb # is 194 when (if) you go shopping for some. I've changed the dash lights in my truck several times, just to try different colors, but I would guess your problem is in a fuse. There are about 4 lights responsible for the backlight illumination of your dash, not to mention the many seperate lights for turn signals, brights, check engine etc. I can't imagine ALL of your illuminating lights burned out, without causing any other damage to anything else on the cluster. Double check all your fuses.

Although I can do it very fast in my own truck, it would be hard for me to walk you through all the motions of taking your dash apart and removing the cluster. I know people have already written descriptions, complete with pictures, that are out on the internet *somewhere*. Can somebody chime in with a web link?

Beave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I agree that it would be quite odd for all lights to be blown out at once, but I pulled all the mini fuses and inspected them and they all seem to be fine.

Is there a specific fuse for the dash/air/ashtray lights?

I'm wondering if thier is another fuse, a line fuse maybe, that I have failed to check.

Thanks.

:banghead:

·
Registered
140 Posts
You sure your rheostat is all the way on? Thats the spinning switch that makes your lights +/- brighter. Check all the fuses/relays under the hood too. A couple of them may apply to the situation your having.

Beave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got kids?

I went though this a few years ago on the wife's Honda, turned out the kid put a penny in the lighter. He later did the same thing into the slot under the fan control, caused all kinds of problems.

Still saving for boarding school.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plot thinckens...

I found another blown fuse in the houseing underneath the hood. I replaced the fuse and upon turning the headlights on, the fuse blew immediately.

Also, on the way home from plowing every member of my families driveway w/my tractor on the back of the Taco, my dash went completley. No speedometer, no tach, no heater, no shit..

It looks like a trip to the stealership might be in order.

Thanks for the help

deroitchris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts