TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased a 97 4runner and the only thing that doesnt work is the dash lights. It has an after market stereo.

When i turn on the headlights the clock dims (normal) and the glovebox light will come on. But the dash lights wont, i have checked to see if the dimmer was on low. I think it may be the dimmer switch or there is a bulb out in the dash causing the rest to go out.

I have read that aftermarket stereos can cause this to happen if the dimmer positive wire is exposed, but it isnt i pulled it out today to check.

Any suggestsion?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I honestly dont know how the wiring works for the dash light... you could always try just duct taping a maglite on top of the steering column. j/k. you might want to try and post it in the new-b forum, you might get an answer easier over there... just my :2cents:

not flaming you, just think you might be better served there

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually thats is what i have been using a maglite pen light. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It probably is related to the aftermarket stereo. I had a simeler prob with my '98 taco, only I couldn't dim my dash lights. try unplugging the stereo and then see if they work. It's also possible that they are all burned out, though not likely.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 97 4runner and the only thing that doesnt work is the dash lights. It has an after market stereo.

When i turn on the headlights the clock dims (normal) and the glovebox light will come on. But the dash lights wont, i have checked to see if the dimmer was on low. I think it may be the dimmer switch or there is a bulb out in the dash causing the rest to go out.

I have read that aftermarket stereos can cause this to happen if the dimmer positive wire is exposed, but it isnt i pulled it out today to check.

Any suggestsion?
Check and see if your brake lights work (not just the tail lights, but the brake lights). I've heard in some vehicles, they have the dash lights black out to let the driver know the brake lights don't work. Just a thought, and I don't know how true it is... just something I heard a while back.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem the dimmer switch had burned out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts