TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
612 Posts
Holy cow man I love you! My dash was rattling for 6 fucking YEARS driving me insane, you da man!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read the post on the warranty fix on the rattle. I have had the rattle come and go twice now. I'm taking it in next week for the dealer repair. I have about 90 miles before my warranty expires. I hope they will work on it - its not rattling right now...

If they wont do anything because its not making noise when I take it in, I'll try one of the foam or tubing fixes like above. It is clearly the dash on the windsheild - it goes away when I press on the the dash up there.

I'll post up the outcome.

Mine is an '04 X-Cab

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
jockdawg said:
Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone
Did the same thing a while ago - I actually used tygon tubing- ~1/4 OD and it worked like a charm

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just took a small piece of paper, folded it up several times and shoved in between the dash and windshield. haven't heard a rattle for 6 months! Total cost- $0.00. Can't even see the paper unless you are looking for it. BTW, anyone know what this rattle is from?

Ryan

·
Registered
123 Posts
there are many different causes to the dash rattle(s). I have fixed one, only to have another come up. some are from loose clusters of wires, some are from the brake hardlines hitting the firewall, and some are from misc. pieces of plastic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took it in today, with 35 miles left on the warranty. They "installed anti rattle foam" (not exacty sure what that is - but the name is on the right track) and found some loose wiring under the instrument panel at sub frame.

so far - on the 10 miles home I did not hear the intermittent (sp) rattle I took it in for. But time will tell.

They were totally cool about it too. If you live in Colorado - I gotta plug Burt Toyota. I have taken my Toyotas there for over 10 years. Quality work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sometimes that anti rattle foam are just several latex gloves. I would prefer to use that vinyl. I'm gonna try that out. I hear my dash once in a while. People say its a washer, wires, etc. and the plastic parts of the dash, but if you notice that when you push the dash down there is no more rattle. So I'm guessing the vinyl is your solution.
Thanx great idea

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
1noobie said:
Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse
more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together

i used a folded up napkin to fix mine, gonna look into this though since i can totally see the napkin sticking out lol

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
IF you can stop the rattle with applied pressure it's simple enough. Shim that dash up so it doesn't move. Mine has had several rattles that I chased down..

The 2001 I had before the 2002 didn't rattle, but what the hell, It's only noise.

·
Registered
711 Posts
drabnor said:
more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together
Just thought it was from the air bag cause when I push down on it the rattle stops. I'll try the windshield thing though. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
well - the dealer fix lasted about 150 miles. now a couple new onse showed up in new places. Tracked on to a white tube or cable houseing near the gas pedal - pretty sure that was the worst of them. I am going to install some tubingon the dash, as that one still happens on big road bumps.

The instrucions here were great for taking the dash apart. Check it out if you want to go ona seek and destoy mission.http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=77&c=6

Rattles drive me insane!!! :explode:

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several spots that the dash rattled in my 2002. I had the dealer perform the TSB fixes and have not had a problem since. It was always worse in the winter. If it was fixed under warranty then they should cover a refix if you want to deal with them again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah thanks for the fix guys, mine also sounded like it was coming from the airbag so I stuffed a small strip of foam around the passenger airbag- didnt work. I then tried what was recommended here, but I used a 7.00 roll of 3M weather stripping I got from the autoparts store. Sounds like a toyota now. No squeak, I cant believe how much better the cabin sounds.

·
The Road Less Traveled
88 Posts
jockdawg said:
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.

·
The Road Less Traveled
88 Posts
Lagarre said:
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.
My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lagarre said:
My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

well, i've run around town looking for 1/4" black vinyl tubing but no one here carries it in black, so i went with heavy duty black spline for screen windows (not the foam stuff). the hardware store had some 3/8" rubber stuff that works pretty well. but its still pretty cold around here so i dont know how it will work for you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts