TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 tacoma that has the data plate missing on the drivers side door jam. It has a good carfax report but curious about why this is missing. Does anyone know where I can get one to replace it with? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Dont let CarFax fool you, they arent the all knowing all seeing of repair on vehicles.
Just because it doesnt show action on the report doesnt mean something didnt happen, lots of shops dont report outside of the shop. On the other hand it doesnt mean something happened to the car either. A good inspection by a reputable mechanic is still your best bet when buying a used vehicle. This could be a case of the sticker falling off on it's own or a repaint for simple paint damage without body damage.

That sticker is part of the build info and could probably only b obtained from the manufacturer.

Tim

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Dont let CarFax fool you, they arent the all knowing all seeing of repair on vehicles.
Just because it doesnt show action on the report doesnt mean something didnt happen, lots of shops dont report outside of the shop. On the other hand it doesnt mean something happened to the car either. A good inspection by a reputable mechanic is still your best bet when buying a used vehicle. This could be a case of the sticker falling off on it's own or a repaint for simple paint damage without body damage.

That sticker is part of the build info and could probably only b obtained from the manufacturer.

Tim
I don't know about a paint only shop, but the place that did my body work put the sticker back on...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
One shop removed the sticker and reapplied the same sticker. The next shop taped over it and you cant tell unless your looking for signs. That sticker doesnt show up in the crash repair manual.

Tim

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yeah the CarFax is pretty much useless, I looked at a car that had a clean Carfax and it was obvious that it was rebuilt from a total!

·
Registered
148 Posts
One thing to check are the VIN stickers on the rest of the body...

Every body panel and frame has a little sticker (about 1"x3") that has the VIN printed on it.
Hood, fenders, doors, core support, bed and tailgate all should have one in addition to the VIN stamed into the frame....

If these stickers arent there, or the VINs dont match, its a POSSIBILITY that its a rebuilt/salvaged vehicle, or was repainted by a two-bit shop that didnt bother replacing them....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts