TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come to the conclusion that I should really paint my bed now. Its been sanded and primered for 2 months now and it was green for about a year before that. I'm planning on selling the truck, but I'm also kind of thinking about keeping it. Either way I need to paint the bed and I got a few questions on how and where to do it. One way I want to do it is by going to a shop, another by painting it with a spray can , and lastly spraying it with a spray gun in my garage. My questions for now are, where do I get the oem paint code and if I was to do it myself where can I get it mixed? Heres a few pictures of my truck right now.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Take it to a shop. That color is hard to match in my experience. Some place like Earl Scheib? should be able to do it for a couple hundred bucks tops and has a chance of making it look decent enough.
You would spend at least half that on paint, not to mention gun, tape, etc.
Get the fender flares off, maybe take the bumper off, make it easy for them.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
TaWComA26 said:
My questions for now are, where do I get the oem paint code and if I was to do it myself where can I get it mixed?
The info is available if you guys look for it
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Paint_Code

Honestly the el cheapo Maaco special paint jobs look like crap-
Rattlecan also looks pretty bad-
Basically, if you are going to resell it- do it right or don't do it at all-
You could drop the price accordingly for the new buyer.

I had an old Isuzu Rodeo with an oxidized/faded hood- I paid a shop $150 - since I figured it would help the overall appearance- Nope- Looked like crap-
I didn't get my $150 out of it. If I would have left it alone- I would have sold it for the same price.

If you were going to DIY and keep the truck- I'd try the roller method
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57181

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wes said:
Take it to a shop. That color is hard to match in my experience. Some place like Earl Scheib? should be able to do it for a couple hundred bucks tops and has a chance of making it look decent enough.
You would spend at least half that on paint, not to mention gun, tape, etc.
Get the fender flares off, maybe take the bumper off, make it easy for them.
My main choice is bringing it to a Earl Scheib like you mentioned. My brother-in-law also mentioned it would be that much too. Instead of driving my truck there, I was just going to take off the bed and bring it there with my dads Tundra.

grillmasterp said:
If you were going to DIY and keep the truck- I'd try the roller method
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/foru...ead.php?t=57181
My other friend did the rolling method twice. They both came out pretty well...both jobs were on his 86 Corolla.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i think its all in the prep, if you bring it to them sanded and all ready to go im sure they could paint it and have it come out pretty good

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thehackman15 said:
i think its all in the prep, if you bring it to them sanded and all ready to go im sure they could paint it and have it come out pretty good
I need to shoot it with primer one more time and then sand it. After that, it will be ready for paint.

·
Registered
112 Posts
actually painting it is the easy part. most of the work and cost of a good paint job is in the prep, which it appears youve already done. the paint code should be on the sticker in youre door jamb. you can do it yourself if you have a paint gun. auto zone or oreilly should be able to mix the paint for you (at least the ones hear will). if you do it yourself, practice on a piece of scrap metal first and then just take youre time and be sure not to put any runs in it. even if you do run it, all you have to do is wet sand it out and spray again. even professional painters occasionally put runs in their jobs. just take youre time and be careful. i always try to do whatever i can myself. its more fun and more rewarding that way.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
abbott said:
actually painting it is the easy part. most of the work and cost of a good paint job is in the prep, which it appears youve already done. the paint code should be on the sticker in youre door jamb. you can do it yourself if you have a paint gun. auto zone or oreilly should be able to mix the paint for you (at least the ones hear will). if you do it yourself, practice on a piece of scrap metal first and then just take youre time and be sure not to put any runs in it. even if you do run it, all you have to do is wet sand it out and spray again. even professional painters occasionally put runs in their jobs. just take youre time and be careful. i always try to do whatever i can myself. its more fun and more rewarding that way.
hey cool man thanks for the tips. I totally believe that too about how its more rewarding if you do it yourself, but I want to get done at a shop so I can blame someone...more like my dad can blame someone if its messed up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
"more like my dad can blame someone if its messed up."

I know exactly how you feel.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just based on what I was reading and was told by O'reilly and another paint place the Lunar Mist is a 3? stage job, I guess thats primer, base, clearcoat?
I was quoted something over 100 bucks for a quart of base and clearcoat? Then theres the gun, doing it, getting it right, etc.
If you were doing the whole thing I'd say go for it- but matching cab to bed, etc. I say put the liability on someone else. Your own prep is key though- My fender and hood were going to cost over 400 bucks if I dropped it off at Maaco, that went down to around 200 if I brought it in sanded, filled, primed and trim removed.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wes said:
If you were doing the whole thing I'd say go for it- but matching cab to bed, etc. I say put the liability on someone else. Your own prep is key though- My fender and hood were going to cost over 400 bucks if I dropped it off at Maaco, that went down to around 200 if I brought it in sanded, filled, primed and trim removed.
Thats exactly why I want to bring it to a shop. I dont want to worry about matching bed to cab because I know its going to be hard.

·
Registered
338 Posts
if you plan on selling the truck absolutley take it to a professional. professional does not include maaco hack jobs and the like. this is a tough color to match, beacuse toyota used 6 different variants of the same color. even if you keep the truck, please take it to a good shop.

on a side note, was your front fender re-painted or replaced? beacuse the color match doesn't look very good.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Dont take it to earl shithole or some other cheapy place. You get what you pay for. Where ever you take it, strip it down for them to keep labor costs down. Find a local shop talk to the guy thats gonna do the work. take the bed off the truck if you can. A good job from a decent shop shouldnt be more than 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PuckerFactor said:
Dont take it to earl shithole or some other cheapy place. You get what you pay for. Where ever you take it, strip it down for them to keep labor costs down. Find a local shop talk to the guy thats gonna do the work. take the bed off the truck if you can. A good job from a decent shop shouldnt be more than 500 bucks.
Now that we got my dads truck back, I can finally throw my bed in his bed. Anyways, It does sound like a better idea to bring it to a better shop but I dont know whats a good one. I dont mind spending the extra money to get a really nice paint job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts