TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1/4 of the way through the winter my engine started making a whining noise when I would first start it up. It would go away once the engine was fully warm but now it is starting to stay even when the engine is warm. When I lift the hood up and listen it sounds like the power steering pump. I checked the fluid level and it looks fine along with the belt tension. Any ideas? 2002 ext 4x4 108K miles.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have already replaced two power steering pumps, and both times the fluid level was ok. i would look for any fluid around the pump, the last one i had decided to produce a pinhole leak down by the pulley.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't appear to be leaking any fluid. I added more to the reservoir today and it's still whining.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Probably time to rebuild it or replace it. It may go on for ages like that, but who can tell if its generating wear particles that may mess up the steering rack later.

The pumps are something of a weak link in Tacomas, many people have troubles with them not lasting as long as they would like. But the racks are harder and more expensive to replace.

There is a rebuild kit available for the pumps. It does not cost much and is not particularly hard to do. There are a couple of things to watch out for when doing it though. One is to not get the vanes the wrong way round when re-assembling. The other is to not re-use or improvise the copper washers on the high-pressure line attachment. Or else just get a reman unit from Napa or suchlike.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have you bled the system? Slowly turn it lock to lock 6- 10 times with the cap off. Hold it tight against the lock 3-5 seconds. Then check to see if the fluid is frothy with air bubbles.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I know the preTacomas take ATF with Dexron and if you actually put power steering fluid in, the pump will not be long for this world... not sure about Tacomas though - it should say on the lid to the fill reservoir, make sure you have the right stuff in there!

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
I know the preTacomas take ATF with Dexron and if you actually put power steering fluid in, the pump will not be long for this world... not sure about Tacomas though
I can verity that fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts