TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheeling today I went to the carwash to wash off and opened my hood to spray off the underside of the hood (not the engine itself). after that, i tried to start my truck and all I get is a click click sound from the starter. i got a push start and made it 100 miles back home and its still dead. is it possible that its wet and that caused it to die and itll dry out overnight, or is it most likely completely toast and I need to put in a new one? thanks!

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
drguitarum2005 said:
After wheeling today I went to the carwash to wash off and opened my hood to spray off the underside of the hood (not the engine itself). after that, i tried to start my truck and all I get is a click click sound from the starter. i got a push start and made it 100 miles back home and its still dead. is it possible that its wet and that caused it to die and itll dry out overnight, or is it most likely completely toast and I need to put in a new one? thanks!
Check all of the electrical connections from the battery to the starter. Then check your battery voltage.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill check that stuff but the fact that i hear a clicking, to me, sounds like the solenoid is getting some kind of power. and if the battery were dead, would i still have been able to drive home after being push started? does the battery not get used past starting?

·
Registered
49 Posts
the battery is not really used after starting, it really kind of stabilizes the energy flow from the alternator. the clicking means that chances are you have dirty connections between battery and starter which makes it so that not enough amps are getting from battery to starter. that is assuming that the battery is good. during wheeling the battery could have shorted out internally.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill go check the battery voltage and see if its still good. it SHOULD still be good because before i start the engine, all my electronics work. are there connections between the battery and starter other than AT the battery and AT the starter? im going to leave it alone overnight to see if its dries out (if that was the problem) and if not, im going to take it apart and check the contacts, as I hear those go bad kind of easily. if those look ok then ill just get a whole new starter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
there are other connections going to the solenoid but if the solenoid on the starter is clicking those are fine. just check the connections between battery post and starter. it should be a pretty thick gauge wire. check the cable itself too. if you turn the key to start and hold it for about 20 seconds and then get out and grab a hold of the cable and its warm, the cable is bad and corroded internally.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
my starter did this after a couple DEEP water crossings for about a week. then it just started working again. No problems since. but make sure to check all connection as stated above.

·
Registered
983 Posts
If it is a fast chattering type of clicking, it's probably a bad connection or weak battery. If it's one loud click then nothing; it's very likely the contacts inside the starter carboned up. You will have to remove the starter and replace the contacts inside; they are only a few bucks at the dealership. There is a write up somewhere on this sites tech page I think.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts