TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Just because their contest irks me I sent them an e-mail.

Hello,

I wanted to send you an email expressing my concern about your ORV mayhem video contest. First, I have noticed that only on one of the videos posted were the particpants off trail or doing anything wrong. As an avid outdoorsmen I do not like seeing any public lands closed to the public. This is what you are promoting with this contest, the closure of public lands to the public. A better approach would be to promote education of the motorsports crowd on proper land use, and also promoting keeping trails open to their current use as well as expansion of public lands. A contest like this promotes division in the groups of people who use public lands, and hurts us all.

Sincerly,

Isaac Bohrer

·
7,735 Posts
thx for the updated link. Currently on the page is a hill climb. I watched and watched to see what the fuss was about, but I just can't figure it out. Was it the fact they misplaced some dust? or maybe just the fact they were doing something 'dangerous' and seemed to be enjoying it?

I don't get it:confused::confused:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Look at some of the pictures in the photo gallery and the comments there. http://www.suwa.org/site/PhotoAlbumUser?view=UserAlbum&AlbumID=5821

For the most part it is BS! They comment on the noise and dust pollution (I can maybe understand the noise with some 2 stroke Dirt bikes - but not rock crawlers) And the dust is minimal. I think the off trail shots near behind the rocks and a few others, seem legit to me. Driving around just to make ruts in soft dirt is just lame. But beyond that, nothing. (And none is on Cryptobiotic Soil either) They really blow it up and paint it to be a big deal.

With that said we all know ass holes that have not respected our land, and I know many of us have stopped them right there and said something, even reported them to authorities. I know our clubs work hard to police ourselves and others who break the laws and destroy land. We don't need knee jerk idiots like SUWA to do it as well.

Oh and the black marks on Moab? Look at Hells revenge. Those black marks have come and gone for 50 years since 4 wheeling put Moab on the map. Without Hells revenge, the Mt Biking trail never would have been added. And don't Mt Bikes also leave black marks? I'm not against any of this public use. Feet, Bikes, or Motorized. But SUWA doesn't seem to recognize the idea of sharing. Nor do they realize that we take away more trash out than they could possibly do on foot.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i think you all missed it, they are collecting videos of on trail LEGAL WHEELING to show how OHV's destroy the environment no matter if it's legal or not, these people just dont stop with their craziness

·
Registered
739 Posts
Look at some of the pictures in the photo gallery and the comments there. http://www.suwa.org/site/PhotoAlbumUser?view=UserAlbum&AlbumID=5821

For the most part it is BS! They comment on the noise and dust pollution (I can maybe understand the noise with some 2 stroke Dirt bikes - but not rock crawlers) And the dust is minimal. I think the off trail shots near behind the rocks and a few others, seem legit to me. Driving around just to make ruts in soft dirt is just lame. But beyond that, nothing. (And none is on Cryptobiotic Soil either) They really blow it up and paint it to be a big deal.

With that said we all know ass holes that have not respected our land, and I know many of us have stopped them right there and said something, even reported them to authorities. I know our clubs work hard to police ourselves and others who break the laws and destroy land. We don't need knee jerk idiots like SUWA to do it as well.

Oh and the black marks on Moab? Look at Hells revenge. Those black marks have come and gone for 50 years since 4 wheeling put Moab on the map. Without Hells revenge, the Mt Biking trail never would have been added. And don't Mt Bikes also leave black marks? I'm not against any of this public use. Feet, Bikes, or Motorized. But SUWA doesn't seem to recognize the idea of sharing. Nor do they realize that we take away more trash out than they could possibly do on foot.
any extreme environmental organization is anti human when it really gets down to it, go look up wetlands project, or wildlands project about turning the mid west back into a migration corridor/ wetlands and move all the people to the city so they cant do any damage, pretty unbelivable really

i'm glad to see you all fired up.... we need some fire in this fight or we lose bad...

and seriously you run texas now....?????? and you live there...?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Oh I got that part. It is legal to creat dust and even Noise, but the way they package it makes it easy to spoonfeed to eco-warriors who want nothing to do with OHV. (I consider myself an eco-warrior... I also happen to own an OHV!)

·
20,355 Posts
Yep, all they are looking for is ammo on legal trail use to try and get more trails in the area shut down.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
any extreme environmental organization is anti human when it really gets down to it, go look up wetlands project, or wildlands project about turning the mid west back into a migration corridor/ wetlands and move all the people to the city so they cant do any damage, pretty unbelivable really
I once had an aquiantance in High School (In Boulder obviously) Who touted that he wanted to get a group together to commit eco suicide, so as to protect the panet better. He was willing to kill himself in order to put less taxation on the planet. Some real extreme forms of thinking on both sides of the right and left.... It's about time the www.rallytorestoresanity.com has come along... THANK GOD! :D

·
7,735 Posts
"Dust, noise and commotion at Moab's annual Jeep Safari event"...

oh noes... commotion in the desert. all those poor grains of sand unable to get a nap in the afternoon.

Dust?!?! Geez, I wonder who they cry to when the winds kick up? Wonder if I search hard enough I'll find an organization trying to convince mother nature to not make it so dusty.

As for ruts :rolleyes: reminds me of the assholes who bitched about us making ruts in the snow. I think they somehow thought we were destroying perfectly good frozen water.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Crazy! I volunteered with th NFS in Vail building mountain bike trails on Vail mountain and surrounding areas. The main thing they taught us was that mother nature is a far deadlier force than bikes will ever be. I also volunteered with the Continental Divide Trail Allience which has built a hiking/horse trail from Canada to New Mexico. During one of the first discussions I told them I was a mountain biker and 4wheeler and was volunteering to give back because I felt "guilty" and wanted to give back. The leader replied if it wasn't for OHV clubs, they wouldn't have money to do what they doing. Hikers and horse people hardly contribute any time/$ to the trails. He said all the effort and $ money comes from the OHV clubs because they have so much invested in their vehicles and want to continue to be able to use them. He also stated how much damage horseshoes do to a trail. Next he said the worst is a 12 year old unsupervised kid on a 4wheeler.

·
20,355 Posts
Crazy! I volunteered with th NFS in Vail building mountain bike trails on Vail mountain and surrounding areas. The main thing they taught us was that mother nature is a far deadlier force than bikes will ever be. I also volunteered with the Continental Divide Trail Allience which has built a hiking/horse trail from Canada to New Mexico. During one of the first discussions I told them I was a mountain biker and 4wheeler and was volunteering to give back because I felt "guilty" and wanted to give back. The leader replied if it wasn't for OHV clubs, they wouldn't have money to do what they doing. Hikers and horse people hardly contribute any time/$ to the trails. He said all the effort and $ money comes from the OHV clubs because they have so much invested in their vehicles and want to continue to be able to use them. He also stated how much damage horseshoes do to a trail. Next he said the worst is a 12 year old unsupervised kid on a 4wheeler.
That is pretty much what is going on in Farmington as well. It is all the other groups who are complaining/trying to get the area to themselves, but only the wheelers who are really putting the effort into keeping the area clean and open.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I once had an aquiantance in High School (In Boulder obviously) Who touted that he wanted to get a group together to commit eco suicide, so as to protect the panet better. He was willing to kill himself in order to put less taxation on the planet. Some real extreme forms of thinking on both sides of the right and left.... It's about time the www.rallytorestoresanity.com has come along... THANK GOD! :D
Hopefully you encouraged him.

OBTW...maybe someone with a YT account can get a message out, with link, to the owners of those vids...letting them know what the video is being used for. It would be a good idea to mitigate any potential damage from SUWA's false and outlandish claims, before it happens. SUWA's being in the wrong does not in any way lessen the ill effect on our community.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You don't have to go to Utah to find groups that would like to ban all motorized OHV use and to have no motorized vehicles on public lands.

http://www.quietuse.org/Page.aspx?PageID=100

I know where the founder and, I believe still, president of this organization lives. I enjoy honking my horn when I drive by as do a number of other folks. :D

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
"Quiet Use", huh...sounds more like the usual "anti motorized, anti mechanized" viewpoint with extraneous blather to try and make it sound legitimate rather than a gut reaction against loud noises from someone with a delicate temperament, and selfishly, exclusionary recreational principles.

Let me know next time he goes camping, and I'll detune the pipes and wake his ass up with Johnny Cope outside the tent at sunrise :xdevil:. No motor or amp in there, I promise...all natural, holistic, organic, from the earth and all that. :lmao: Jackass.

People like that guy inherently piss me off, for some reason...like I somehow instinctively know they're the boring ones who buy minivans and drive self-righteously slow in the fast lane, shush people in public places, and combine a penetratingly nasal voice with a half-assed beard and too much casual clothing from Patagonia.

...Am I close?

Don't get me wrong, I like quiet, and I use the truck to get there...and I'm not always quiet...but I don't see anything different in that guy's attitude from SUWA et al.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I think we all can agree, we all like our quiet. But the extreme views these organizations are trying to push are beyond any of that... Oh and I'll see what I can dig up You Tube wise with my account. I would be so pissed if one of my videos got used by them. I wonder - if a video on YouTube is public does that mean someone else can copy and See it? I don't think so... I think YT even states you have to have express written permission to do so. However some of the videos SUWA has might have been taken by their own people. And that unfortunately IS legal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
oh yeah, cool, take a bunch of videos of stuff you purport to hate then use them to further your purpose. Fuck those guys.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts